OT: Is Buffalo the Food Festival capital of the US?

Big Turk

If it isn't, I can't imagine another place with more/better festivals than we have here...

Taste of Buffalo gets about 500-600K people, same for the Italian Fest. CanalFest gets about 250-300K. Chicken Wing Festival was at 75-100K. Toss in the Erie County Fair, which is basically a glorified food festival, and the various other smaller festivals like the Polish, Greek, Peach(in Lewiston---it rocks!!), etc and our food festivals probably draw well in excess of 2-3 million people per year...

Most cities would love to have a festival the size of one of ours, but to have this many has to make us the king of food festivals in the US...

If it isn't, I can't imagine another place with more/better festivals than we have here...

Taste of Buffalo gets about 500-600K people, same for the Italian Fest. CanalFest gets about 250-300K. Chicken Wing Festival was at 75-100K. Toss in the Erie County Fair, which is basically a glorified food festival, and the various other smaller festivals like the Polish, Greek, Peach(in Lewiston---it rocks!!), etc and our food festivals probably draw well in excess of 2-3 million people per year...

Most cities would love to have a festival the size of one of ours, but to have this many has to make us the king of food festivals in the US...

I'm always skeptical about these attendance numbers that are tossed out. This weekend in Cincy, there was Riverfest - a one-day event... a very large fireworks show. They are shot off from barges in the Ohio River. It is well-attended, but they claimed an attendance of 500K.

The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky metro area encompasses 15 counties, with a population of two million. I find it hard to believe that 1/4 of the metro population crowded along a mile stretch on the banks of the Ohio this past Sunday night.

That same weekend, a small town in Hamilton County claimed that 200K attended "A Taste of Blue Ash". The annual "Taste of Cincinnati routinely pegs their attendance at 500K.

no admission for the Taste of Buffalo...food tix are a bit pricey, though

We went to the Taste of Cleveland last year and were very disappointed. Half the number of restaurants participating as what ToB offers, they charged admission ($7 for ages 12+) and the food coupons seemed expensive (I want to say around $1/coupon) and most restaurants wanted 3-4 coupons for samples.

Taste of Buffalo - more participation, no admission fee, less $$ to try different foods....next year I'll try to drive back into WNY for ToB than stay in Cleveland for the ToC.

Taste of Buffalo - more participation, no admission fee, less $$ to try different foods....

Yes, it was much less to try different foods this year, every booth had a one ticket ($1) sample plate. It was the first year they did that and was a very good idea. Who wants to spend $5 for something that might taste like a$$...

I'm always skeptical about these attendance numbers that are tossed out. This weekend in Cincy, there was Riverfest - a one-day event... a very large fireworks show. They are shot off from barges in the Ohio River. It is well-attended, but they claimed an attendance of 500K.

The Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky metro area encompasses 15 counties, with a population of two million. I find it hard to believe that 1/4 of the metro population crowded along a mile stretch on the banks of the Ohio this past Sunday night.

That same weekend, a small town in Hamilton County claimed that 200K attended "A Taste of Blue Ash". The annual "Taste of Cincinnati routinely pegs their attendance at 500K.

The Buffalo News seems to do a piece every summer about how these numbers get inflated. Taste of Buffalo and the Allentown Art Festival in particular seem have "high" numbers every year.

The Buffalo News seems to do a piece every summer about how these numbers get inflated. Taste of Buffalo and the Allentown Art Festival in particular seem have "high" numbers every year.

I don't know...Taste of Buffalo WAS pretty packed. Took forever just to get about a block away