Lazy Buffalo journalism

bananathumb

The guy has deliberately become a mystery man, so why doesn't at least one of Buffalo's so-called journalists locate him and try to make contact, at the very least track his movements to see if he can actually walk without al limp?

What's the big problem? Are WGR, the TV networks or the News and Chronicle so hard up they can't afford to do a little investigative journalism?

More likely they're just lazy and prefer to speculate rather than investigate.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy has deliberately become a mystery man, so why doesn't at least one of Buffalo's so-called journalists locate him and try to make contact, at the very least track his movements....

I believe Mickey is keeping track of all Jason's movements....

Sunday - nothing

Monday - nothing

Tuesday - good one, some blood

The guy has deliberately become a mystery man, so why doesn't at least one of Buffalo's so-called journalists locate him and try to make contact, at the very least track his movements to see if he can actually walk without al limp?

What's the big problem? Are WGR, the TV networks or the News and Chronicle so hard up they can't afford to do a little investigative journalism?

He hasn't decided to become a "mystery man", he has simply decided not to engage in a war of words through the press, you know, the kind of thing that we regularly blast other players like Owens and Johnson for doing.

Yeah, you're right. It's not like finding and following a 6'4" 340lbs man is hard. He must be travelling constantly, or hiding out in his momma's basement. Maybe it's just not news-worthy in the sense that his holdout is boring because nobody's talking. Whatever the case may be, I just want it to be over and done with.

I can just picture Jerry Sullivan slurping on a big gulp in a big van with Emilio Estevez outside of Peters' house.

He hasn't decided to become a "mystery man", he has simply decided not to engage in a war of words through the press, you know, the kind of thing that we regularly blast other players like Owens and Johnson for doing.

A war of silence makes so much more sense, Parker alter-ego.

Yeah, you're right. It's not like finding and following a 6'4" 340lbs man is hard. He must be travelling constantly, or hiding out in his momma's basement. Maybe it's just not news-worthy in the sense that his holdout is boring because nobody's talking. Whatever the case may be, I just want it to be over and done with.

It is over and done with. Guy's too hurt to play. Guy walked away from his NFL career.

Yes, they are. Just like Erie County is too broke to open its parks or put toilet paper in its buildings. Medium and small city media is dying.

Reporters would love to be doing things like you mention here, but their hands are tied by editors and producers who are saddled with very small budgets these days while also being required to produce more than ever before -- every news outlet these days is attempting to report 24 hours a day through Web sites.

You should understand what you are bashing before you bash it. Or maybe you're just too lazy to do the research.

Yeah, but usually those other players we blast either end up traded, payed,

or they suck it up and come in to their team and play.

Either way, they are playing in week 1. Even if Jason comes back tomorrow,

he probably wouldn't be playing this Sunday, with no reps in the new offense,

and lost time on the weeks preparation, plus it would mean Walker would have

to move back to RT after preparing for LT and who knows what it would do to

any continuity on the line.

At this point, I wish he had run his big mouth, at least we would know what is going on.

Yeah, but usually those other players we blast either end up traded, payed,

or they suck it up and come in to their team and play.

Either way, they are playing in week 1. Even if Jason comes back tomorrow,

he probably wouldn't be playing this Sunday, with no reps in the new offense,

and lost time on the weeks preparation, plus it would mean Walker would have

to move back to RT after preparing for LT and who knows what it would do to

any continuity on the line.

At this point, I wish he had run his big mouth, at least we would know what is going on.

Not knowing is certainly frustrating but mouthing off in public would just make it even harder to resolve the situtation.

You are right about what would happen if he came in tomorrow but the only way that could have been avoided is if Peters decided to play another year on his current contract or if the team agreed to talk about a new deal for this year. Neither side has been willing to bend at all. At most, for now anyway, Peters may eventually have to pay some fines and the team is going to have to deal with the consequences, if any, from the problems you describe. Its too bad but nothing we can do about it but hope it ends soon.

Good point! This has occurred to me, as well. You'd think someone, somehow, could track him down to get a quote from him -- even if it is only "No comment".

Forgetting sports for a moment, investigative journalism is a lost art, in general. All of the major networks just spew out press releases from governmental resources in Washington and don't bother actually finding and reporting real news. Just plain lazy journalism.

Does anyone even know for sure that he is at his local Buffalo home around Orchard Park right now and not somewhere else??? Back home in Texas??? I'd be interested to know for sure if anyone does...

Yes, they are. Just like Erie County is too broke to open its parks or put toilet paper in its buildings. Medium and small city media is dying.

Reporters would love to be doing things like you mention here, but their hands are tied by editors and producers who are saddled with very small budgets these days while also being required to produce more than ever before -- every news outlet these days is attempting to report 24 hours a day through Web sites.

You should understand what you are bashing before you bash it. Or maybe you're just too lazy to do the research.

I don't post much, but I did work at a newspaper until recently and this post is dead on.

Does anyone even know for sure that he is at his local Buffalo home around Orchard Park right now and not somewhere else??? Back home in Texas??? I'd be interested to know for sure if anyone does...

That's exactly the point. You would think someone would be able to at least find his whereabouts, whether it's in Buffalo or Texas. ANYWHERE! And if not the national media, then the AP, or ESPN, or someone. This is just strange to me beyond belief

Good point! This has occurred to me, as well. You'd think someone, somehow, could track him down to get a quote from him -- even if it is only "No comment".

Forgetting sports for a moment, investigative journalism is a lost art, in general. All of the major networks just spew out press releases from governmental resources in Washington and don't bother actually finding and reporting real news. Just plain lazy journalism.

Really? You base this on what? Here is a little list of investigative journalism from just today....and know that is by far an incomplete list:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washingt...-+National+news

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...?nav=rss_nation

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/na...story?track=rss

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/business/02road.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/20...er_N.htm?csp=34

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/01/p...shun-reporters/

And you should Google "Pro Publica" to get a good idea of what journalists are doing these days in the face of budget cuts to ensure the real stories are being told. But that might be too much work for those of you who want to call others lazy without knowing the facts.

Of course, you should note those media outlets linked to above are all considered national media. As I stated a few posts ago, local media is dying in middle and small sized markets.

Have you thought that just maybe it isn't journalists who are lazy -- it is the consumers. The consumers who are too lazy to pickup a newspaper or actually take the time to read a story. Rather, the lazy want everything served to them in flashy television pieces. Really, the lazy want to be entertained, these days, not informed. Digesting real information is too boring for the lazy.

I don't post much, but I did work at a newspaper until recently and this post is dead on.

I agree to a point. The local Buffalo media probably does not have a budget for something like this. However, you'd think an organization like ESPN -- which appears to have a virtually unlimited budget -- might be able to track him down. Maybe it's just not as big of a story to warrant it.

Good answer. Or perhaps some people missed the discussion about how one -- ONE !!! -- Buffalo-area sportswriter made the trip to Indy to watch the Colts open their new stadium against the Bills.

The News is offering buyouts. (Guessing most of you didn't know that.) Gannett, the D&C's parent company, is drowning in a sea of red ink. But sure, they can afford to send someone to Arkansas, or wherever the hell he lives in the offseason, to stake out Peters' house.

And in the end, although it's fordamnsure important to Bills fans, do we really want the dwindling resources of our media outlets diverted to tailing football players? There's a pretty important election coming up, and I seem to remember something about a war or two going on ...

[/steps down off soapbox]