Obama's Speech

No..I'm not an idiot...well some would digress...The point I'm trying to make is that you have to be rich to run for office. Me or you might have some serious credentials but could never run for office simply because of income.

What people should be taking home from this moment is that a minority kid who grew up with simple means worked his butt off and is now the elected candidate of a major political party to run for the highest office in the United States. That is what is happening right now. It should give people pause to reflect on how great this country is. Last night was very, very significant in the history of this country.

And you don't have to be rich. The Obamas aren't nearly as wealthy as the people they have had to run against, and are running against right now. The money he's running with is from campaign contributions and party money. As far as I know, and I'll have to check so I could be wrong, but I don't believe they've used any of their money.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressions are everything. A connection to Bush is a tumor for a politician at the moment. President Bush does not carry respect on the world stage, as a person. He is respected because he has the most powerful military in the world behind him. McCain will be seen as "more of the same" and connected to the same regime that has made a complete bumble!@#$ of foreign policy, even with their boatloads of "experience."

What else have you learned from the DNC?

What people should be taking home from this moment is that a minority kid who grew up with simple means worked his butt off and is now the elected candidate of a major political party to run for the highest office in the United States. That is what is happening right now. It should give people pause to reflect on how great this country is. Last night was very, very significant in the history of this country.

And you don't have to be rich. The Obamas aren't nearly as wealthy as the people they have had to run against, and are running against right now. The money he's running with is from campaign contributions and party money. As far as I know, and I'll have to check so I could be wrong, but I don't believe they've used any of their money.

But it needs to be changed? :thumbsup:

What else have you learned from the DNC?

Who the F are you dude? Some 20-year old who apparently knows everything, chastises all comments, and falls back on the "parroting" line whenever you can? Spends all day on an Internet message board making anonymous snarky comments? Good for you.

As for me, I haven't watched one second of the DNC, nor will I watch one second of the RNC. I am already well-read on both candidates. I am unaffiliated with any party. I am able to think for myself, and I have my own views on what I feel are the real issues, as opposed to what is just media-driven b.s.

My bachelor degree is in poly sci, went to GWU in D.C. for an MBA, am a homeowner, taxpayer, work full-time at an engineering firm, and have served on my local village board for 6 years, winning two elections as the only independent on the board. I have learned more in 5 minutes at ANY of those places than I would watching any political bonanza on televison.

Frankly, I don't post much in this section because I get all the politico hogwash I can handle in my day-to-day life. But these are fairly exciting times and should be an interesting build up to this election, so I've been snooping around more often here. I hope I meet your stringent criteria for this board and I hope you will continue with your sarcastic, uniformative "additions" to these threads.

What happened during the Messiahs epistle tonight?

I will tell what happened, at least my synopsis.

Fantastic orator, and I must say I enjoyed listening to the entire thing. Here were the main poinys I toook away.

1) Obama will wipe out our depenance on foreign oil

2) he will do this by funding research (really expensive reserach btw)

3) he will bring back the car industry in Detroit all by himself and his administration

4) he will make sure as part of that plan that US consumers will buy US Cars made in the US, and they will be cheaper than they are now!!!!!!!

5) If you do not have health insurance, you will now

6) if you have health insurance he will make it cheaper

7) Everybody will make more money

8) Everything we buy will be cheaper

9) He will several gov't programs to insure all of the above, yet will reduce the size of the government

and the kicker

He will do all of this while cutiing taxes on 95% of the people in the country. Course, the other 5% already pay more than 70% of the taxes now, so just keep taking it from em

I mean how could you not vote for someone who is as honest as he is when he says he can do all this, plus get plenty of ohers things done!!

hes got my vote :thumbsup::lol:

I will tell what happened, at least my synopsis.

Fantastic orator, and I must say I enjoyed listening to the entire thing. Here were the main poinys I toook away.

1) Obama will wipe out our depenance on foreign oil

2) he will do this by funding research (really expensive reserach btw)

3) he will bring back the car industry in Detroit all by himself and his administration

4) he will make sure as part of that plan that US consumers will buy US Cars made in the US, and they will be cheaper than they are now!!!!!!!

5) If you do not have health insurance, you will now

6) if you have health insurance he will make it cheaper

7) Everybody will make more money

8) Everything we buy will be cheaper

9) He will several gov't programs to insure all of the above, yet will reduce the size of the government

and the kicker

He will do all of this while cutiing taxes on 95% of the people in the country. Course, the other 5% already pay more than 70% of the taxes now, so just keep taking it from em

I mean how could you not vote for someone who is as honest as he is when he says he can do all this, plus get plenty of ohers things done!!

hes got my vote :lol::lol:

Yup that's it in a nutshell. Good stuff huh? But you forgot my favorite. He will rebuild our cities. :thumbsup:

Who the F are you dude? Some 20-year old who apparently knows everything, chastises all comments, and falls back on the "parroting" line whenever you can? Spends all day on an Internet message board making anonymous snarky comments? Good for you.

Ah yes, the internet tough guy act. I love this one.

I don't need to "fall back on the 'parroting' line" as you try to frame it. There is no "falling back" when it is completely valid. Let's examine your posts, shall we?

I'm voting for the young buck because angry old people are a dime a dozen. And we already elected a stupid hick (twice) who are also a dime a dozen. Dime a dozen guys aren't the answer, and neither are 72-year old career Washington insiders whose claim to fame is getting shot down in an airplane.

A young, fresh, black man has NEVER failed as El Presidente de Los Estados Unidos. Plenty of crotchety old white men have been bad presidents.

Strange, sounds exactly like the Democrats' two biggest messages so far:

McCain == Bush

Obama > McCain because Obama is somehow a "Washington Outsider".

I would prefer if the spokesperson of my country could actually carry respect in today's global marketplace. It's been 8 years since that has happened. Obama has my respect and he seems to have the respect of the leaders and people of the world. McCain? I respect his military and public service, but his Republican nomination seems like he has outlasted them with failed presidential bids in the past, to where they said, "Ok, let's give it to this old guy, I can't really think of anyone else..."

When questioned on this, you posted a picture of McCain with Bush.

Again, Democratic talking point, McCain == Bush.

As for me, I haven't watched one second of the DNC, nor will I watch one second of the RNC. I am already well-read on both candidates. I am unaffiliated with any party. I am able to think for myself, and I have my own views on what I feel are the real issues, as opposed to what is just media-driven b.s.

The real issues, as opposed to what is just media-driven b.s., like this one that you posted earlier?

"My superficial reason for not voting for McCain is age, and age alone. I do not want an 80-year old in the White House (which is what McCain would be if he spent 8 years in office) and I prefer that my President can put his own shirt on. McCain cannot."

Frankly, I don't post much in this section because I get all the politico hogwash I can handle in my day-to-day life. But these are fairly exciting times and should be an interesting build up to this election, so I've been snooping around more often here. I hope I meet your stringent criteria for this board and I hope you will continue with your sarcastic, uniformative "additions" to these threads.

If you'd like to debate actual issues, I'd be all for that, and engage you in it.

BTW, I love the irony of trying to call me out for "uniformative 'additions'" to these threads when your argument is:

- McCain == Bush

- McCain is too old to be President

- Obama should be President because he's a fresh, young, black guy

McCain == Bush

This is not my opinion. You didn't ask for my opinion, you asked why McCain might not hold the respect of foreign governments. He is affiliated by party with the current administration, shares many of their policy beliefs (particularly foreign policy), and the current administration is not trusted or respected throughout the world. I said before that perception is everything, and while it's not true that McCain = Bush, it is a FACT that the perception exists, especially internationally where they simply see the party affiliation.

As for the Democratic message, why would they NOT try to paint McCain as Bush??? They are trying to win an election. If ties to W were a good thing, he'd be hand in hand with McCain on the campaign trail. Bush's absence speaks volumes about the current state of the nation. Taking "liberties" with the truth as a tactic to win an election is nothing new (see: Swift Boats).

Listen, Obama hasn't sold me on anything, other than his ability to "play the role" of President. I think he could do quite well in that arena. As for McCain, if age isn't an issue for you, that's fine. It is for me. I love my 80-year old grandfather to death, and he is sharp as a tack, but he should NOT be president.

i know its the wrong board but i am personally a republican but i believe Bush has done a terrible job but im still going to vote for mccain. Mccain has never shown himself to be off the wagon and crazy i feel like he would be a safe choice. Something about a man that REFUSES to say the pledge of allegiance and schooled in muslim schooling makes me a little nervous, thats just me. Incase your wondering thats Obama im talking about

Very excited about McCain's VP choice ...might just vote for someone that finishes in the top two for the first time since.....well ever! Not nuts about the prospects of four years of McCain but like the prospects for 2012

the prospects for 2012

That's what this pick may be about.

Deep down McCain and the Republicans have to realize they'll need a miracle to win in this political climate. Get Palin's name out there now to set up a candidate that isn't a white male to challange Obama in 2012

This is not my opinion. You didn't ask for my opinion, you asked why McCain might not hold the respect of foreign governments.

Asked for proof of it actually, which is why I took it the way I did. I was curious if you had any quotes from foreign governments because the messages I've read in foreign media has been mixed about McCain.

He is affiliated by party with the current administration, shares many of their policy beliefs (particularly foreign policy), and the current administration is not trusted or respected throughout the world. I said before that perception is everything, and while it's not true that McCain = Bush, it is a FACT that the perception exists, especially internationally where they simply see the party affiliation.

By the citizens, sure, there is that sentiment with some, but I'm curious as to what the other elected and non-elected officials think (I don't think that what the people believe = what the government believes).

As for the Democratic message, why would they NOT try to paint McCain as Bush??? They are trying to win an election. If ties to W were a good thing, he'd be hand in hand with McCain on the campaign trail. Bush's absence speaks volumes about the current state of the nation. Taking "liberties" with the truth as a tactic to win an election is nothing new (see: Swift Boats).

I don't disagree that its a good strategy, I also think its a disingenuous one (and I thought that you were pushing it).

As for McCain, if age isn't an issue for you, that's fine. It is for me. I love my 80-year old grandfather to death, and he is sharp as a tack, but he should NOT be president.

I'm of the opinion that if he has the mental faculties and endurance to survive a presidential campaign, he's probably good for a while.

That's what this pick may be about.

Deep down McCain and the Republicans have to realize they'll need a miracle to win in this political climate. Get Palin's name out there now to set up a candidate that isn't a white male to challange Obama in 2012

Interesting idea, I haven't really followed the rep on Palin. Is She considered an "up and comer" like Obama was?

He would?

The Obama camp has been trying to push that McCain's tax plan would actually be an increase on the middle class.

Their argument:

In contrast, Sen. McCain's tax plan largely leaves the middle class behind. His one and only middle-class tax cut -- a slow phase-in of a bigger dependent exemption -- would provide no benefit whatsoever to 101 million families who do not have children or other dependents, or who have a low income.

But Sen. McCain's plan does include one new proposal that would result in higher taxes on the middle class. As even Sen. McCain's advisers have acknowledged, his health-care plan would impose a $3.6 trillion tax increase over 10 years on workers. Sen. McCain's plan will count the health care you get from your employer as if it were taxable cash income. Even after accounting for Sen. McCain's proposed health-care tax credits, this plan would eventually leave tens of millions of middle-class families paying higher taxes. In addition, as the Congressional Budget Office has shown, this kind of plan would push people into higher tax brackets and increase the taxes people pay as their compensation rises, raising marginal tax rates by even more than if we let the entire Bush tax-cut plan expire tomorrow.

The McCain plan represents Bush economics on steroids. It has $3.4 trillion more in tax cuts than President Bush is proposing, largely directed at corporations and the most affluent. Sen. McCain would implement these cuts without proposing any meaningful steps to simplify taxes or eliminate distortions and loopholes. In addition, Sen. McCain has floated over $1 trillion in new spending increases but barely any specific spending cuts.

As previously mentioned, the Obama plan is a net tax cut -- his middle-class tax cuts are larger than the rollbacks he has proposed for families making over $250,000. Sen. Obama would pay for this tax cut by cutting spending -- including responsibly ending the war in Iraq, reducing excessive payments to private plans in Medicare, limiting payments for high-income farmers, reducing subsidies for banks that make student loans, reforming earmarks, ending no-bid contracts, and eliminating other wasteful and unnecessary programs.