NO STARTERS SHOULD PLAY

I wouldn't mind seeing Trent for a quarter or two. This is still only his 2nd year and in a new system no less.

I agree. Sure he could get injured, but I'd feel better having him played against another team a week before the season, as oppose to him not playing in a game for 2 weeks prior the Seattle game.

that is all.

thanks

Around the league, starters typically play 1-2 series in the final preason game before the scrubs errrr developmental players go in. This is precisely why the preason should be only 3 games. The last game is really a waist of time especially if you're a sucker who paid full price for the tix.

Around the league, starters typically play 1-2 series in the final preason game before the scrubs errrr developmental players go in. This is precisely why the preason should be only 3 games. The last game is really a waist of time especially if you're a sucker who paid full price for the tix.

Yeah --- but our luck is bad, so no need to tempt fate...let's just get the season going here...I'll admit, I'm just a bit paranoid due to last year and so far this preseason

But it's Kid's Day at the old ball yard. Shouldn't that be taken into consideration?

It's for the children. :angry:

I always wondered why the most loyal Bills supporters - us season ticket holders - have to pay full price for that game, while anyone else gets in for 10 bucks.

Seems like a slap in the head from ol' Ralph.

adam shefter had a different take yesterday in sirius radio.....he said when teams bench their starters for the final preseason game.that they try to come out like gangbusters in week 1 and that you end up with serious opening day injuries.go bills!

adam shefter had a different take yesterday in sirius radio.....he said when teams bench their starters for the final preseason game.that they try to come out like gangbusters in week 1 and that you end up with serious opening day injuries.go bills!

Not sure I buy that one. I expect them to come out like gangbusters every game.

I always wondered why the most loyal Bills supporters - us season ticket holders - have to pay full price for that game, while anyone else gets in for 10 bucks.

Seems like a slap in the head from ol' Ralph.

I don't think it's ol' Ralph, I think it's the league. IIRC, I remember reading something about the league holding firm on charging full price for pre-season.

I don't think it's ol' Ralph, I think it's the league. IIRC, I remember reading something about the league holding firm on charging full price for pre-season.

I wasn't aware of that. Still pisses me off that anyone can walk up to Ticketmaster at Tops & buy a seat for 10 bucks. Seems you'd want to make that same offer to your season ticket holders.

But hey, I signed the contract - I'll honor it. :nana:

I wasn't aware of that. Still pisses me off that anyone can walk up to Ticketmaster at Tops & buy a seat for 10 bucks. Seems you'd want to make that same offer to your season ticket holders.

But hey, I signed the contract - I'll honor it. :nana:

Oh I totally agree. I actually sold my tickets for $15 dollars apiece. That's this first time in about 5 years, I didn't just give them away. Here's a tongue and cheek link regarding this issue. And an older one from CNN.

Yeah --- but our luck is bad, so no need to tempt fate...let's just get the season going here...I'll admit, I'm just a bit paranoid due to last year and so far this preseason

This is the problem with professional athletes and organizations these days....you play pre-season games to get sharp for the regular season, have the players understand and get comfortable with the systems, and get familiar with each other and the opposing teams. The only reason that starters should sit is to let others trying to make the team show what they've got.

I hate how people suggest that the starters sit just so they can avoid an injury. I understand that they are a huge investment by the organization and an injury can severely hamper the team's chances at winning. But I don't agree with sitting them just to avoid injury. This is like playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

I'd rather see the starters play into the 3rd quarter of the final preseason game to keep themselves sharp and get ready for the games that count. Injuries are part of the game. To me, as long as they are conditioned and physically ready to play, then playing in a preseason game should not affect them. Yes, a WR or a lineman can get caught up with someone else and twist a knee, but that's part of the game and is less likely to happen than pulling or straining something.

Remember when the Bills broke Jeff Garcia's leg a few years ago in the Lions last preseason game? That screwed up their whole year. Yeah, don't bother playing the starters in this game. It's really not going to make Trent or Poz or anyone else a better player for the opener.

This is the problem with professional athletes and organizations these days....you play pre-season games to get sharp for the regular season, have the players understand and get comfortable with the systems, and get familiar with each other and the opposing teams. The only reason that starters should sit is to let others trying to make the team show what they've got.

I hate how people suggest that the starters sit just so they can avoid an injury. I understand that they are a huge investment by the organization and an injury can severely hamper the team's chances at winning. But I don't agree with sitting them just to avoid injury. This is like playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

I'd rather see the starters play into the 3rd quarter of the final preseason game to keep themselves sharp and get ready for the games that count. Injuries are part of the game. To me, as long as they are conditioned and physically ready to play, then playing in a preseason game should not affect them. Yes, a WR or a lineman can get caught up with someone else and twist a knee, but that's part of the game and is less likely to happen than pulling or straining something.

LT sat out yet again in a pre-season game, I think it's like 13 pre-season games in a row or something in which he did not play. I don't think there was one Charger fan that disagreed. Now he may be an exception to the rule, but how much dress rehearsal do you really need. If there was little or no money to be made for pre-season football by the NFL, there would be maybe 2 pre-season games at the most...

LT sat out yet again in a pre-season game, I think it's like 13 pre-season games in a row or something in which he did not play. I don't think there was one Charger fan that disagreed. Now he may be an exception to the rule, but how much dress rehearsal do you really need. If there was little or no money to be made for pre-season football by the NFL, there would be maybe 2 pre-season games at the most...

I guess I can understand that, too, but it doesn't make sense to me that a player of LT's caliber doesn't play a down in the preseason. To me, that's a lot of talent....not playing at game speed until the opening week and he still runs over, through, and by everyone.

I agree that the preseason is all about the money and the owners getting every dollar they can get (heck, if the players' salaries keep skyrocketing, I can understand the owners trying to generate more revenue). I just don't want to see the starters lose anything because they sit out an extra week.

2 preseason games and maybe one controlled scrimmage with another opponent is plenty of dress rehearsal. I really think the NFL is going to finally vote to scale back preseason games. The product is just awful.

Straight to my point and then comments:

What about 3 preseason games, with the third game being played, as is with starters into the third quarter, then no games the week b/f the season starts, followed by no byes until after week four and, I know this is crazy, the byes will be by division with divisional opponents playing each other the following week?

- So many times we've heard coaches tell us how important that last preseason game is for looking at young talent. However, I remember (in one instance) where we had a young RB (Gray, i think, correct me if I'm wrong) who ran for 100 yards during the last PS game against Detroit, and also led the team in rushing in the PS (250 yds)...only to be cut.

I never bought into that argument by coaches and i don't think they need it.

- The teams have been in there since July, give them the week off (3 days like normal bye weeks) just to get ready for the season and get healthy.

- the above will lessen the need for any one to have a bye only 3 weeks into the season.

- My last point above is obviously not the first time it has been brought up. There is no reason NOT to create schedules this way and there is no reason why the bills, or anyone else for that matter, should have multiple games against teams coming off of byes, and certainly no reason to play the Patriots after their bye 4 times in 5 years.

Hey, I know there isn't any chance of this, but I just felt like saying it. :nana:

I guess I can understand that, too, but it doesn't make sense to me that a player of LT's caliber doesn't play a down in the preseason. To me, that's a lot of talent....not playing at game speed until the opening week and he still runs over, through, and by everyone.

I think it was Jawarski that made that same point last night and it's a valid one. I really don't know if there is a right or wrong theory. If your star player gets hurt in pre-season the coach looks terrible for playing him. If your start player gets hurt early in the regular season, people will point to the fact that he didn't play a down in the pre-season, and that contributed to the injury. There is no right answer, you risk injury whether is pre-season, regular season, or practice. Since the Bills are a young team with a new OC, I would like to see the starters get more reps.