Kids.............Don't do Steroids

H2o

Only a 4-year pro and his career may be over. Could this be an effect of the steroids he tested positive for a couple of years ago? How long and frequent was the guy actually using? It would be a HUGE LOSS for the Chargers no doubt. Here's the story from PFT:

WHISPERS BEGIN REGARDING MERRIMAN’S CONDITION

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 12:22 p.m.

In the wake of a report that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman visited with renowned orthopedist James Andrews regarding Merriman’s knee, we’re hearing that there is quiet concern within the organization that Merriman could be done, after only four NFL seasons.

Merriman had arthroscopic knee surgery during the offseason. He made the trip to Alabama to see Dr. Andrews because of persistent pain in the knee. (Curiously, there’s a conflict between the two major San Diego papers regarding the identity of the doctor who performed the procedure. The North County Times says that it was Andrews. The Union-Tribune claims that it was team physician David Chao.)

Officially, coach Norv Turner says he isn’t worried. “My concern will be if it lingers,” Turner said Wednesday. “Hopefully, it won’t linger and hopefully in the next week to 10 days, he’s going to be all right and ready to get going.”

As we hear it, there’s already concern, behind the scenes. Nothing may come of it, and Merriman might end up being fine. But the team is definitely worried about the possibility that Merriman could be done.

“He’s had some soreness,” Turner said. “I think he wants to make sure he gets it checked out and make sure everything is all right with it. When he’s been able to practice and move around, he’s looked awfully good to me.”

There’s no denying that Merriman is awfully good. But, like most athletes, it’s hard to do much of anything with a bum knee.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could also be because he put a bunch of extra pressure on his knees by jumping around playing air-pattycake after every sack.

:blink: ....................... :blink: ........................... :ph34r:

Kids, don't do steroids.*

*Unless you want to become a multi-millionaire professional athlete with national endorsements and only need to work for four years. Then by all means, do your stupid steroids.

I think I'd rather be able to run around with my kids and make $60,000 a year in construction.

I think I'd rather be able to run around with my kids and make $60,000 a year in construction.

Not being able to play the world's most violent sport at a professional level doesn't mean he will be confined to a wheelchair. If Willis McGahee is playing pro ball after that injury, I'm sure there's a surgery that will allow Merriman to coach the purple team in their girls under-8 soccer game.

I'm not disagreeing with you...You and me and probably most others wouldn't opt for the shortcut (i.e. cheating) option. But if simply making bank was his goal from the beginning, he certainly achieved that.

Not being able to play the world's most violent sport at a professional level doesn't mean he will be confined to a wheelchair. If Willis McGahee is playing pro ball after that injury, I'm sure there's a surgery that will allow Merriman to coach the purple team in their girls under-8 soccer game.

lol

I'm not disagreeing with you...You and me and probably most others wouldn't opt for the shortcut (i.e. cheating) option. But if simply making bank was his goal from the beginning, he certainly achieved that.

:blink: I wonder if he'd do his "lights out" dance when they scored a goal. Friggin awesome LLR :ph34r:

He didn't intentionally do steroids. I know saying it was a "tainted supplement" isn't exactly the most plausable excuse, but if you do your research you'd learn that the substance he tested positive for was one that wouldn't afford him a beneficial result befitting the risk, and it has a long life in the body, therefore making it a stupid choice since it would show up in his system for a fairly long period of time.

I'm not defending him, simply stating the truth. I was there at the Chargers game, his first game back from suspension, and I too serenaded him with steroid taunts. But the truth is, it actually was a mistake.

Only a 4-year pro and his career may be over. Could this be an effect of the steroids he tested positive for a couple of years ago? How long and frequent was the guy actually using? It would be a HUGE LOSS for the Chargers no doubt. Here's the story from PFT:

WHISPERS BEGIN REGARDING MERRIMAN’S CONDITION

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2008, 12:22 p.m.

In the wake of a report that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman visited with renowned orthopedist James Andrews regarding Merriman’s knee, we’re hearing that there is quiet concern within the organization that Merriman could be done, after only four NFL seasons.

Merriman had arthroscopic knee surgery during the offseason. He made the trip to Alabama to see Dr. Andrews because of persistent pain in the knee. (Curiously, there’s a conflict between the two major San Diego papers regarding the identity of the doctor who performed the procedure. The North County Times says that it was Andrews. The Union-Tribune claims that it was team physician David Chao.)

Officially, coach Norv Turner says he isn’t worried. “My concern will be if it lingers,” Turner said Wednesday. “Hopefully, it won’t linger and hopefully in the next week to 10 days, he’s going to be all right and ready to get going.”

As we hear it, there’s already concern, behind the scenes. Nothing may come of it, and Merriman might end up being fine. But the team is definitely worried about the possibility that Merriman could be done.

“He’s had some soreness,” Turner said. “I think he wants to make sure he gets it checked out and make sure everything is all right with it. When he’s been able to practice and move around, he’s looked awfully good to me.”

There’s no denying that Merriman is awfully good. But, like most athletes, it’s hard to do much of anything with a bum knee.

Sounds like a WGR scoop. :rolleyes:

Dont do steroids, or you will end up like that famous rich, probowler. He only made millions of dollars in only a few short years... wow, those steroids really did screw up his life. What will he do now? maybe beg for change on the side of the road holding a cardboard sign that says "Please help, Steroids ruined my life, God Bless". :rolleyes: