Steven Jackson to report to Rams...

To me, this proves this holdout worked as expected, although we won't know that until after the numbers all come out, and if Jackson was very happy with the result. The Rams said they wouldn't pay until he came to camp, but behind the scenes, obviously both sides worked out a deal, as the article says "Both sides are confident a deal will be completed soon." The word before was always they weren't really close. He still has two and a half weeks to get ready for the season.

I am not advocating players holding out, I think it sucks. But it's their only bullet, and it often works. This is also a good indication that Peters will be in camp soon. I very much doubt he will get a new deal to his liking like Jackson did, but it's simply another indication that Parker does indeed know what he is doing and that virtually none of these guys holding out actually miss games.

To me, this proves this holdout worked as expected, although we won't know that until after the numbers all come out, and if Jackson was very happy with the result. The Rams said they wouldn't pay until he came to camp, but behind the scenes, obviously both sides worked out a deal, as the article says "Both sides are confident a deal will be completed soon." The word before was always they weren't really close. He still has two and a half weeks to get ready for the season.

I am not advocating players holding out, I think it sucks. But it's their only bullet, and it often works. This is also a good indication that Peters will be in camp soon. I very much doubt he will get a new deal to his liking like Jackson did, but it's simply another indication that Parker does indeed know what he is doing and that virtually none of these guys holding out actually miss games.

I don't really get what you're saying. Sure sounds that you mean that the only way that NFL players get the deal they like is to hold out.

You should also caveat that the holdouts rarely miss the opening game. However, the jury is still out whether their performance during the season and injury history following holdouts is the same as for non-holdouts. Of course, agents never have to worry about that.

I wouldn't read too much into this article (yet). For weeks, Jackson supposedly was thinking about firing his agent. I wonder if he showed up because he wanted to be there, not because he was promised that a deal was imminent.

I think if he had held out one week rather than three, the effect would have been the same. He made his point. He'll get a new deal.

Same with Peters. He's not gaining much by holding out any longer. Show up; they'll give you a new deal.

To me, this proves this holdout worked as expected, although we won't know that until after the numbers all come out, and if Jackson was very happy with the result. ...

Of course, the Jackson case is more like Lee Evans', since he is also in the last year of his rookie contract. I'm sure the Rams really wanted to get him signed to an extension to keep him from hitting the open market next year, so this is in their best interest as well. Unfortunately for Jason Peters, it's probably not in the Bills' best interest, financially, to re-do a contract that still has 3 years remaining.

I don't really get what you're saying. Sure sounds that you mean that the only way that NFL players get the deal they like is to hold out.

You should also caveat that the holdouts rarely miss the opening game. However, the jury is still out whether their performance during the season and injury history following holdouts is the same as for non-holdouts. Of course, agents never have to worry about that.

No, I didn't say that at all. If teams are willing to give you what you want, like, say, what they did with Aaron Schobel, giving him a contract that not a lot of people think he is worth (50+ million), then there is no reason for you to hold out. That was, in all likelihood, a very easy negotiation for the team and the agent. The extensions signed by the players that were in camp, like McGee, Denney, Kelsay, Butler, Parrish, Kyle Williams were ALL on the higher level than would be expected for the production they had put up at that point in their careers. Who is going to hold out when the team is willing to give you as much or more than you are worth.

It gets a LOT stickier, when you are no longer talking 15 or 17 or 20 or even 50 million over 7 years but now talking 9-10 million a year. There rarely are easy negotiations with the team when you are asking for top 3 money in the league. If Peters would sign the contract that Schobel or Dockery got (7 mil a year), I guarantee the Bills would jump all over it and sign him tomorrow, without him coming to camp. It's all about big money and what the team thinks you are worth and willing to pay. You know that as well as anyone.

But when you are a star player, like Peters, and your team is not willing to give you close or more than what you want, sitting out is your only option, and it often works. Not always but more than you or I or the teams would like to see. And it looked like it worked there with Jackson, although again we need to see the numbers.

I totally agree with the second paragraph, although it may only seem like a larger occurrence of injuries. I have never seen any real data. It does sure seem like it. And it does often take a holdout a couple weeks to get into the swing of things. It depends on the player though. A running back like Jackson shouldn't need more than 2.5 weeks to be ready. If Peters signs within a few days, he should be ready to go full in the first game.

thats true, it is their only bullet, and agents will use it to try and get better deals because it will only end in a few ways,

1. the player continues to hold out until a new deal is made into th season (not likely to happen because of how much the player stands to lose)

2. The team caves and gives them what they want so they come back

3. The player caves and comes back and plays at the current salary til a new deal is reached

4. The player demands a trade and goes somewhere that will give him the money he wants.

3 out of the 4 get the player, and the agent their money, the other happens very little.

But in the situation with Jackson, it seems that they waited long enough to call the Rams bluff that they won't negotiate til he shows up like the Bills said to Peters. I think the Bills have more will power and are more serious when they say he has to show up to camp first and that this will have no effect on the situation with Peters

But in the situation with Jackson, it seems that they waited long enough to call the Rams bluff that they won't negotiate til he shows up like the Bills said to Peters. I think the Bills have more will power and are more serious when they say he has to show up to camp first and that this will have no effect on the situation with Peters

Agreed. It's not the same situation at all as it is with Peters. I was just saying that Parker is not a bad agent, or stupid, and usually makes the best deal for his player. And this holdout appears to have worked. We shall see.

Is Jackson still on his original rookie contract?

Yeah. He's due about 1.7 mil this year. But he's going to get a huge deal. He had already turned down a 7yr-50 mil deal with 17 guaranteed, which would have made him the 4th highest RB and the three ahead of him pretty close. He was looking for over 20 mil guaranteed.

http://rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/p...NFL&id=1663

Kelly, I'm still not buying into your speculation that Parker's tactics have "worked." We'll never know what sort of deals his players would have gotten had they taken the route of reporting and negotiating. The agent will tell the player they wouldn't have gotten as much if he had reported, and the team will say they would have paid the same regardless of the holdout. There's no way to prove either one.

I also still believe that advising a player to hold out with three years remaining on a two-year-old deal is plain stupid -- regardless of whether or not that is the player's only "bullet" -- because the team DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING and the player is bound to report. I do not think Peters holding out this preseason means he'll make one cent more when the Bills do renegotiate and extend his deal.

Kelly, I'm still not buying into your speculation that Parker's tactics have "worked." We'll never know what sort of deals his players would have gotten had they taken the route of reporting and negotiating. The agent will tell the player they wouldn't have gotten as much if he had reported, and the team will say they would have paid the same regardless of the holdout. There's no way to prove either one.

I also still believe that advising a player to hold out with three years remaining on a two-year-old deal is plain stupid -- regardless of whether or not that is the player's only "bullet" -- because the team DOESN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING and the player is bound to report. I do not think Peters holding out this preseason means he'll make one cent more when the Bills do renegotiate and extend his deal.

How can the team say they would have paid the same regardless of the holdout when in the middle of the holdout he turned down a huge offer from them that has already been reported? If he signs for more than what they offered before, which I believe it looks like he will, it will have worked. That's why I said we have to wait until the real numbers come out. It's possible that he will sign for what they offered him a few weeks ago, and then you can say it neither hurt nor helped. I will bet it's not less than what they offered a few weeks ago.

In Peters case, it's going to be difficult to prove. But IMO, unless he gets hurt or sucks this year, he's going to get a monster contract next year, and because of this holdout, the team will not want to go through this again, only worse, with a LOT less fan and media support. So the holdout is going to (unfortunately) reward the bad behavior. Again, it's just an observation and prediction, not a fact.

How can the team say they would have paid the same regardless of the holdout when in the middle of the holdout he turned down a huge offer from them that has already been reported? If he signs for more than what they offered before, which I believe it looks like he will, it will have worked. That's why I said we have to wait until the real numbers come out. It's possible that he will sign for what they offered him a few weeks ago, and then you can say it neither hurt nor helped. I will bet it's not less than what they offered a few weeks ago.

In Peters case, it's going to be difficult to prove. But IMO, unless he gets hurt or sucks this year, he's going to get a monster contract next year, and because of this holdout, the team will not want to go through this again, only worse, with a LOT less fan and media support. So the holdout is going to (unfortunately) reward the bad behavior. Again, it's just an observation and prediction, not a fact.

With respect to Jackson, the Rams' offer was just that -- an offer. These negotiations rarely begin and end with one exchange, so I don't think it's a stretch the Rams know exactly what they're willing to pay and tried to "go low" with the first offer.

With respect to Peters, we'll just have to agree to disagree. If Peters has a monster year, the negotiations are going to be what they are regardless of what happened this preseason. The Bills already know that, which is why I believe they've taken a hard line stance THIS year. Look at it this way -- Peters doesn't have all that much experience at the position and is already being touted as a top 5 LT. If the Bills renegotiate now and pay him top 5 money, and Peters has a monster year, who's to say he doesn't feel underpaid again and repeat the process? I think the Bills know they've got him over a barrel this year. They can let 2008 play out and see if he proves he's really a monster, and then make him the highest paid LT in the league. At least then there's nowhere else to go. Just my $.02.