Phelps is great

The Big Cat

NPR had a story yesterday (or maybe Monday?) about why all the records are being broken. Basically, the gist of it is that records are made to be broken, so they always will...but there are some good reasons why it is happening now.

The new swimsuits supposedly can shave 2% off a swimmer's time, which is over a second for every minute they swim. Also, the pool in Beijing is 3m deep, where as olympic standards are 2m. So, there is much more water to absorb the turbulence created by a pool full of swimmers, so the water is much calmer than in past olympic pools. They didn't quantify the difference this makes, but they seemed to imply that this made an even bigger difference than the swimsuits, hence we are seeing records broken by 4-5 seconds.

Now, Phelps is swimming in the same pool in the same suit as the other guys _right now_, and beating them, so yes, he is the best swimmer there is right now. But breaking world records with the above factors is probably somewhat expected during these olympics.

You're right. Swimming is a wierd sport like that because there CAN be technilogical advancements from year to year which steadily shave off times.

Also worth noting: I've watched at least five races this year where the gold, the silver, and sometimes even the bronze ALL beat world records.

To President Adams: the first time I wrote Olympiads I was wrong. The second time I was sarcastic.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To President Adams: the first time I wrote Olympiads I was wrong. The second time I was sarcastic.

I didn't find this thread interesting enough to read all the posts, believe it or not. I thought maybe you were a good poster because of all the Peters' thread research. You're on probation.

Phelps just had to swim two finals an hour apart; it takes a special, and incredibly well-conditioned, athlete to hold up over Phelps' workload. That's why you don't hear about a Spitz or Biondi or Phelps every four years. Comparing him to a shot putter, or any other athlete who can concentrate on a single event? I don't think it's applicable.

Now, if you'd like to argue in favor of decathletes -- the decathalon record-holder has long been known as the "World's Greatest Athlete" -- I wouldn't disagree.

Exactly! What I was going to say.

Now... What about the triathalon?... There all three are simulataneous.

I just read this. Thought I'd throw here on this thread. Wow!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08132008/news/...orge_124248.htm

Phelps lends a new spin to the phrase "Breakfast of Champions" by starting off his day by eating three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise.

He follows that up with two cups of coffee, a five-egg omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

At lunch, Phelps gobbles up a pound of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo on white bread - capping off the meal by chugging about 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

For dinner, Phelps really loads up on the carbs - what he needs to give him plenty of energy for his five-hours-a-day, six-days-a-week regimen - with a pound of pasta and an entire pizza.

He washes all that down with another 1,000 calories worth of energy drinks.

I think The Big Cat is one of the greatest internet poster of all-time -- though I suspect he posts on many internet sites -- his accomplishments on this site alone put him in the Pantheon of web-based debaters -- juggling a complex variety of topics and forums, arguing from both sides of the same issue, standing firm in the face of overwhelming evidence . . . simply outstanding!

But I don't mean to ignore the legendary careers of other prolific internet debaters, there are so many who deserve recognition.

Exactly! What I was going to say.

Now... What about the triathalon?... There all three are simulataneous.

Since I'm being a grammar jerkoff in this thread, the 3 events aren't simultaneous. They are consecutive. Simultaneous would be a good trick though.

I think The Big Cat is one of the greatest internet poster of all-time -- though I suspect he posts on many internet sites -- his accomplishments on this site alone put him in the Pantheon of web-based debaters -- juggling a complex variety of topics and forums, arguing from both sides of the same issue, standing firm in the face of overwhelming evidence . . . simply outstanding!

But I don't mean to ignore the legendary careers of other prolific internet debaters, there are so many who deserve recognition.

He's OK, but John Adams is king.

You have to devote years to being just an Olympic athlete. When I worked at Stanford, we had an undergrad in the lab that was a member of teh women's rowing team. They were ranked #10 in the nation. For that, she got up at 4 AM every day, rowed in the AM, went to class, did research in the lab , went to the weight room and studied. We asked her why doesn't she try out for the Olympic team. She said she would have to drop out and spend every waking moment for the next year to get a chance for trying out for the team.

Phelps is a rare talent. The guy got 6 golds and two bronze last Olympics, for pete's sake.

You have to devote years to being just an Olympic athlete. When I worked at Stanford, we had an undergrad in the lab that was a member of teh women's rowing team. They were ranked #10 in the nation. For that, she got up at 4 AM every day, rowed in the AM, went to class, did research in the lab , went to the weight room and studied. We asked her why doesn't she try out for the Olympic team. She said she would have to drop out and spend every waking moment for the next year to get a chance for trying out for the team.

Phelps is a rare talent. The guy got 6 golds and two bronze last Olympics, for pete's sake.

You're right. Michael Phelps IS a world class athlete. My roommate went to high school with him (I'm completely, 100% not f'ing kidding)--the guy had no friends, and was socially awkward.

Small price to pay to be the greatest in your field, if you ask me. Hefty price to pay if you're not.

Phelps is unbelievable, and holds the majority of the world records in his events, but a world record from 2007 is dated in swimming at the moment.

It is supposedly a very fast pool, and the swimsuit (namely the Speedo TYR, I think its called) are making previous swimming records obsolete. There are races where the guy finishing in 5th place is breaking the previous world record.

That's not to take anything away from Phelps, because everyone is swimming faster and he's still the fastest. But, there are plenty of other variables other than just being a better swimmer than the previous world record holder.

I see what you are saying, but the same thing would apply in his golf reference. Club and ball technology improves constantly.

Since I'm being a grammar jerkoff in this thread, the 3 events aren't simultaneous. They are consecutive. Simultaneous would be a good trick though.

Wait a second... With regards to the whole event, it IS simultaneous or can be simultaneous at times... It isn't strange to see some participants still swimming while others have begun to bike... Or still on the bike while others have begun to run.

:wallbash::wallbash:

Ya... That is what I meant...

:worthy::lol::doh:

I see what you are saying, but the same thing would apply in his golf reference. Club and ball technology improves constantly.

Yeah, and so do scores and driving distances?

The difference being pools evolve to the swimmers' benefit just as suits and goggles and nutrional plans do too. Whereas in golf, while clubs are easier to swing, balls are easier to manipulate, and distances become easier to gauge (laser sight tecnology), courses become longer, roughs become rougher, and greens slope more drastically.

No question...And in golf you're competing against others using the same technology, so the playing field is level. Just like in these Olympics, Phelps is beating his opponents in the same pool, all wearing the same "super" suit.

My only statement had to do with breaking world records...These guys are shattering world records set in 2005 by three seconds. That's not really fair to the previous world record holder, who likely swam in a shallow pool without a fusion swimsuit. When the 5th place finisher is breaking the world record, it tells you something about the other variables.

However, I see what you're saying...The previous record holder of score under par at Augusta didn't have Tiger's Nike driver or golf ball or DriFit shirt, and that's the way it goes.

No question...And in golf you're competing against others using the same technology, so the playing field is level. Just like in these Olympics, Phelps is beating his opponents in the same pool, all wearing the same "super" suit.

My only statement had to do with breaking world records...These guys are shattering world records set in 2005 by three seconds. That's not really fair to the previous world record holder, who likely swam in a shallow pool without a fusion swimsuit. When the 5th place finisher is breaking the world record, it tells you something about the other variables.

However, I see what you're saying...The previous record holder of score under par at Augusta didn't have Tiger's Nike driver or golf ball or DriFit shirt, and that's the way it goes.

Whoa whoa, point of clarification- the only record being broken by an margin of 3 seconds was last nights 4x200 RELAY. a.) that's a longer event so breakage could be more substantial, and b.) that's compounded by the fact that it's a relay.

Individuals (esp in short races) aren't OBLITERATING records.