just pay peters

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't that the definition of a holdout?? Never heard of a holdout that is in camp.

My point exactly yet around here plenty are buying this notion that it makes sense not to negotiate unless the player is in camp and that Peters is somehow a major an unprecedented tool for "staying at home" (quotation marks being necessary to keep Senator from taking that reference literally) while trying to get a new deal.

Link

So they have had no discussions since camp started. That means, that they have had discussions before hand. So can we stop this foolish notion that there is any reason for this situation other than the blatantly obvious fact that he wants more money and we the team doesn't want to give it to him. Either that or this is the first hold out in history where being a starter or more $ wasn't the central issue and the central stumbling block. Can you name me a single holdout that ended in a contract where the player didn't stay out of camp? Peters and his agent have, to their credit, not conducted a publicity war with the team. The Bills unfortunately have not done the same. You should recognize that the team has a vested interest in getting the public on their side. Try reading some of the team's statements with as critical eye as you have used to assess Peters' actions.

And there is this Bransdon has had brief discussions with Parker They used the word "discussions", ie, plural, so that means they have had more than one discussion. Brief, yes, but they have had contact and they have had discussions so can we please stop all the posts about there being nothing but silence from Parker???

As for the "small conversation", doesn't that count? I always thought that "no discussion" means no discussion as opposed to "small" discussion. How "large" does the coversation have to be to count? How long does it take for one side to say they want a new deal and the other to say no and then for each to say, "call us when you change your mind"???

Of course it is about money. Why else do you think he is holding out? More vacation time? A better dental plan? Why do you think Brandon said that they expect him to honor the committment he made 2 years ago? The "committment" he made is to play 3 more years at his current salary.

I never said that they have had absolutly no contact, but just because they said he has had some brief discussions with Brandon, that doesn't mean much. Brief discussion could be something like this

Parker - "So, my client Jason Peters wants more money"

Brandon - "Oh really. Ok, tell him we will talk when he reports to camp"

Parker - "Sorry, my client won't show up to camp until he has a new deal"

Brandon - "Well we would really like to see him repeat his play at the same level as last year, and that he is 100% recovered from his injury before give him more money"

Parker - "Well he will not come in until he has a new deal, my client is one of the better LT's in the league and deserves to be paid like it. He is not going to risk another injury and come in until he gets a new deal"

Brandon - "Well your client still has 3 years on a deal he just signed a few years ago. Our policy here is not to negotiate with players who chose not to report. Tell him to honor his contract and report, and then we will talk"

Hmm, that was a brief conversation that is completly possible.

No where did I ever say that money wasn't the key issue to the hold out, of course it is the reason, he wants more money, thats a fact. My problem has been the assumptions that Parker and the bills have been discussing numbers right now and that the Bills don't want to pay what he wants. Its possible that that is the case, its just as likely that Parker is trying to buy Peters some more time to recover from surgery too. But those are assumptions being made based on what everyone things is going on.

As for what either side is saying, Peters side has said nothing to the media. Both teams that have hold outs with Parker have both said the same things, show up to camp and we will talk, but until then, it is not our policy to talk. The only other thing the Bills have said is that they have had brief discussions with Peters agent (of course theres been no details of what those discussions included, but if you want to believe that they have been discussing numbers right now, go ahead, but don't try and pass it off as fact unless you have an insider) and have not heard from peters directly since the end of the season. And whats so wrong with what the Bills have publically said? They said come to camp, we won't talk until then. Its not a good move for them to say that publically and then not talk a new deal with him, since it will make the Bills look like the bad guy. And if he did report to camp and they refuse to work out a new deal, then he has the right to sit out until they do, and plenty more people would be on Peters side in that situation if he met with buffalos demands and then they refuse to talk.

I never said that they have had absolutly no contact, but just because they said he has had some brief discussions with Brandon, that doesn't mean much. Brief discussion could be something like this

Brandon - "Well we would really like to see him repeat his play at the same level as last year, and that he is 100% recovered from his injury before give him more money"

Parker - "Well he will not come in until he has a new deal, my client is one of the better LT's in the league and deserves to be paid like it. He is not going to risk another injury and come in until he gets a new deal"

Brandon - "Well your client still has 3 years on a deal he just signed a few years ago. Our policy here is not to negotiate with players who chose not to report. Tell him to honor his contract and report, and then we will talk"

No where did I ever say that money wasn't the key issue to the hold out, of course it is the reason, he wants more money, thats a fact. My problem has been the assumptions that Parker and the bills have been discussing numbers right now and that the Bills don't want to pay what he wants. Its possible that that is the case, its just as likely that Parker is trying to buy Peters some more time to recover from surgery too. But those are assumptions being made based on what everyone things is going on.

As for what either side is saying, Peters side has said nothing to the media. Both teams that have hold outs with Parker have both said the same things, show up to camp and we will talk, but until then, it is not our policy to talk. The only other thing the Bills have said is that they have had brief discussions with Peters agent (of course theres been no details of what those discussions included, but if you want to believe that they have been discussing numbers right now, go ahead, but don't try and pass it off as fact unless you have an insider) and have not heard from peters directly since the end of the season. And whats so wrong with what the Bills have publically said? They said come to camp, we won't talk until then. Its not a good move for them to say that publically and then not talk a new deal with him, since it will make the Bills look like the bad guy. And if he did report to camp and they refuse to work out a new deal, then he has the right to sit out until they do, and plenty more people would be on Peters side in that situation if he met with buffalos demands and then they refuse to talk.

Maybe this whole thing is more about Parker getting his money.

Simply put, if you're under contract, you show the f*ck up to camp, if you want a better contract because you KNOW you're going to produce down the road, prove it now, and get your money when you answer you're damn phone and stop pulling the silent treatment.

Don't be like my ex-girlfriend and ruin a damn good thing.

Here's a possibility, maybe Peters is so pissed off that he either wants a huge contract or wants to be traded. I doubt that's the case, but would I blame him if it were given all the retarded money being thrown around in Buffalo over the past three seasons for everyone but Evans and Peters, arguably the team's two best players, no.

Here's a possibility, maybe Peters is so pissed off that he either wants a huge contract or wants to be traded. I doubt that's the case, but would I blame him if it were given all the retarded money being thrown around in Buffalo over the past three seasons for everyone but Evans and Peters, arguably the team's two best players, no.

One might argue that some of that "retarded money" being thrown around the past three years has already gone to Peters. The Bills didn't have to give him a new 5 year deal. He was up and coming, and the Bills rewarded him for it, without the least bit of prodding. Last time I checked, Peters took the money and the deal.

Moreover, here's a possibility: it may be that Evans has been offered lower priced interim extensions that he, unlike Peters, has refused because he knew he was going to get the biggest possible deal by waiting until his contract year.

Peters is getting bad advice. Plain and simple. It's only a matter of time before Peters figures this out and tells his agent to quit thinking about his own big payday.

Maybe this whole thing is more about Parker getting his money.

Oh, I'm sure a lot of it is about Parker getting his money, if not most of it. These agents don't give a sh-- about their clients for the most part (I'm sure some do, or once in awhile some do). Parker will lose clients and look bad if he doesn't get Jason Peters a monster contract (and if it wasn't Parker it would be someone else). But players sign with the big guys because they get the big deals. They want these agents to be hardasses and scumbags because that's who usually gets the big money deals.

No, what they said is that they expect him to honor the commitment he made two years ago. That commitment is to play 3 more years at his current salary. They have not said they will make a deal "if" he comes to camp. Far from it. Look at what the team has said, they most definitely have not committed to any kind of negotiations should he come to camp. At least we are past the narrative about there being no contact. Browse through the Peters threads and see just how often that meme was stated as incontrovertible fact.

I don't think they have discussed numbers. I think he wants more money, I think they want him to play at least another year under his current contract. I think they told him what they told us, that they expect him to honor the commitment he made two years ago which was to play 3 more years on his current contract. As for a new deal, all they have said is "never say never". I think his agent told them he isn't coming in unless they give him a new deal and they said no. When I said he wants more money than they want to give, I wasn't referring to nitty gritty negotiations, I was referring to the obvious fact that he wants a new deal and that deal would cost the team more money and if they were willing to do that, there would be offer sheets being faxed back and forth.

It is patently ludicrous for a deal not to happen solely because he hasn't reported. That is how every hold out happens and just about every one of them gets resolved with a new contract. I think the sticking point is that the team knows how much a new deal for Jason Peters is going to cost, not exactly but close enough and it is money they most definitely don't want to pay. Do you seriously think the team execs are sitting around saying, "Its not the money that bothers me, its that he isn't in camp, the millions and millions more it will cost us? No problemo but to give it to him before he gets to camp rather than the day after, by Zeus' thunder, no way" Solve the money problem and you solve the problem.

Is that what she slaps you with, after she diapers you and stuffs the pacifier in your mouth?

After reading the links and seeing that you were wrong, this is all you had huh? Don't be embarrassed. I am sure no one noticed.