Peters holdout

Hold out  

69 members have voted

1. 1. What is the single biggest factor triggering Peters' holdout?

• Dockery/Walker salary comparison
    • It is all his agent
    • Other lineman around the league make fun of him for having to protect a glove wearing Mary
    • Lack of desire to play football
    • Peters himself is instructing his agent to get more money

Each of the choices in the poll have been named as factors as we have all read. Which one do you think is the biggest factor? Numbers 1 and 5 are similar and would have the same solution, but they are not exactly the same. The other three may be harder to solve. What do you think?

I'd say two reasons

1) Injury made Peters realize that a career in the NFL could be cut short at any minute

2) being nominated to the Probowl is a traditional condition for reopening a contract

If I were the Bills I'd contact Peters agent with the following offer- come to camp and show you're 100% physically- and we will give one of the Following 1) a 5 year contract worth the ave of top 10 OL contracts - 2) we will buy you an insurance policy for this year and if you make another Probowl we well offer you a 5year contract worth the ave of the top 3 OL contracts.

My choice isn't offered.

It would be: Due to the hype thrown his way by the fans and the media, he has a super-inflated view of his true value.

In how many probowls has he participated? I believe the total is zero.

Hey, ieatcrayonz... you may want to add other reasons... why?

Cuz... aren't we all assuming this is contract & money related? Nowhere have I heard or seen attributed to Jason or his agent having publically or otherwise, officially stated that they would like to renegotiate or other. Have you?... if so, point me to that submission please.

To me... not showing up in the offseason or training camp, and worse... no communication, complete silence, no acknowledgement of communication from the Bills front office in an attempt to reach out.... this is unprecedented in Bills history and it signals to me that there may very well be something else going on here... and especially the Bills haste in moving Langston Walker to LT one week into camp. The Bills know more than they're saying.

What are the possibilities?

1) contract problems, like everyone suspects. But if that's the case why no dialogue? It doesn't make sense. In the end, if he wants more money, there has to be communication... an agreement or deal simply can't be reached without dialogue.

2) The groin injury has taken his edge off. Maybe he doesn't have the explosiveness and ability he once had and is worried that it will be exposed once he shows up. We all know the first thing he shows up, the docs are going to give him a thorough exam... even more so coming off an injury, and certainly if he wants more $$$

3) This one is touchy... and I'm not making an accusation here, but only submitting it as a possiblity given the unprecedented wall of silence by a Bills player with the media and front office. Even back in the Bruce Smith days there was banter going back & forth before he would eventually grace us with his presence. What if Jason had a positive illegal substance test... srike one.... we don't know whether he does have a strike one because that is not released and the team would not comment on that. It's a mulligan anyway. But, if he were to test positive again, when he showed up for camp, it would be strike 2 and he's be suspended for 4 games. That in itself would ruin any chance he had for a new contract. So, is it so far fetched to think that if he used an illegal substance, that he might want to wait until it leaves his system before subjecting himself to a physical? I mean absolutely no one would have suspected Nick Kaczur in what just happened to him. And, these guys are human and some deal with severe pain as a result of the pounding and injuries... one unprescribed pill to curb the pain can be devasting to player's career.

So... this whole thing is getting more strange by the day. If Jason doesn't communicate soon, this might spin out of control.

It is simple, he is getting paid far less than he is worth. Nobody seriously disputes this. His only option to try and get what he is worth is to hold out. The team had the entire off season to redo his deal and they didn't because they want him to play one more year on his existing contract. So we have a standoff.

How 'bout some add'l choices, like...

- He spends $$$ like a drunken sailor or - even worse - like Travis Henry, and needs the big signing bonus 'cause he's totally broke

or

- He couldn't care less about winning or his teammates - being part of a winning team means nothing if you ain't got all the bling-bling

or

- He's become an selfish, arrogant a-hole whose word is worthless and who will never honor any contract if he thinks he can get even more $$$

To me... not showing up in the offseason or training camp, and worse... no communication, complete silence, no acknowledgement of communication from the Bills front office in an attempt to reach out.... this is unprecedented in Bills history and it signals to me that there may very well be something else going on here... and especially the Bills haste in moving Langston Walker to LT one week into camp. The Bills know more than they're saying.

stop with the blather about no communciations with the team.

AS you state, teh Bills know more than they are saying.

So how is it they know more but claim Peters has enclased himself in a vacuum?

It seems highly probable that the coaches and medical staff have had contact with Peters and the only one not to talk directly to him is Brandon- and that is by design so he has plausible deniability.

Jauron has probably done the same thing Linehan has done with Steven Jackson and kept in touch. The Bills just haven't volunteered that info to the fans because it does not help their story.

and if no Bills coach has contaqcted Peters, then they would seem to be bordereing on the imcompetent to give their best player the complete silent treatment.

they do have phones at One Bills Drive don't they?

Hey, ieatcrayonz... you may want to add other reasons... why?

Cuz... aren't we all assuming this is contract & money related? Nowhere have I heard or seen attributed to Jason or his agent having publically or otherwise, officially stated that they would like to renegotiate or other. Have you?... if so, point me to that submission please.

What are the possibilities?

1) contract problems, like everyone suspects. But if that's the case why no dialogue? It doesn't make sense. In the end, if he wants more money, there has to be communication... an agreement or deal simply can't be reached without dialogue.

2) The groin injury has taken his edge off. Maybe he doesn't have the explosiveness and ability he once had and is worried that it will be exposed once he shows up. We all know the first thing he shows up, the docs are going to give him a thorough exam... even more so coming off an injury, and certainly if he wants more $$$

3) This one is touchy... and I'm not making an accusation here, but only submitting it as a possiblity given the unprecedented wall of silence by a Bills player with the media and front office. Even back in the Bruce Smith days there was banter going back & forth before he would eventually grace us with his presence. What if Jason had a positive illegal substance test... srike one.... we don't know whether he does have a strike one because that is not released and the team would not comment on that. It's a mulligan anyway. But, if he were to test positive again, when he showed up for camp, it would be strike 2 and he's be suspended for 4 games. That in itself would ruin any chance he had for a new contract. So, is it so far fetched to think that if he used an illegal substance, that he might want to wait until it leaves his system before subjecting himself to a physical? I mean absolutely no one would have suspected Nick Kaczur in what just happened to him. And, these guys are human and some deal with severe pain as a result of the pounding and injuries... one unprescribed pill to curb the pain can be devasting to player's career.

So... this whole thing is getting more strange by the day. If Jason doesn't communicate soon, this might spin out of control.

I think # 3 could be very real.

Silence by an ageent is so unusual in these circumstances, perhaps he does not want to lie publically, for his cred.

Silence does not allow you to bargain a new agreement. If it was all money their would be a great deal more diloque with the agent.

While I agree that a new contract is in line...the silence is not allowing that to happen and therefore the real issue is being hidden....must be substance, or pain killers or mental issues...it is not money IMHO

I'm on the same page as Doc T. I think that Peters unwillingness to show himself is groinicological in nature.

Fess up... you just wanted to use that word in a sentence. Didn't you.

I'm on the same page as Doc T. I think that Peters unwillingness to show himself is groinicological in nature.

My sense is that it just simply may be very clever negotiating strategy.

My question is whether there is anything that Peters or his agent can say which will help his case or win the argument.

The answer is no so the best strategy is simply to shut up.

Reality will simply dictate what the Bills do, Walker and or Chanbers comes up with a limp in the pre-season or both get eaten for lunch (apparently Kelsay has already done this to Chambers) then the Bills run and do not walk to sign Peters to a huge deal.

If they are fine, the Bills holdout and Peters strolls into camp after a couple of games (assuming that is all he thinks he will need) and all things are as they was an Peters is not on record whining about taking food out of the mouth of his family.

The idea he is hurt seems nonsensical as if he is he will get caught anyway so if he is hurt keeping it a secret does nothing for him but piss off his employer, his teamates and the fans. The groinological explanation simply makes no sense for accomplishing anything Peters could want.