Say WHAT?

You mean abolishing slavery, giving civil rights to minorities, and social security haven't worked? You mean that the New Deal wasn't successful in getting us out of the Great Depression? Darin, you really have to stop drinking that Kool-Aid man. Seriously, you have such a slanted view of things that you can't accept the other side having a good point. Now, I am sensible enough to know the conservative thoughts have a good and valid point when used correctly. I am also cognizant enough to know there is some flawed thought to every approach. In general, it is about finding the common ground. However you promote a one sided board where level discourse gets out of whack very quickly, with attacks on the poster rather than the issue at hand.

Just as a point of information - how old are you ? :cry:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, that was a liberal thought :cry:

Actually no. If you go back to the root cause of the civil war slavery was really not a major issue. It was the whole industrial revolution and big business bringing power and wealth to the common person, and taking it from the elite plantation owners. they didn't like that knowing that they would lose money to the businesses. So it was really the few who wanted power over most, who fought the then emerging middle class north.

Actually no. If you go back to the root cause of the civil war slavery was really not a major issue. It was the whole industrial revolution and big business bringing power and wealth to the common person, and taking it from the elite plantation owners. they didn't like that knowing that they would lose money to the businesses. So it was really the few who wanted power over most, who fought the then emerging middle class north.

As opposed to the few slaveowners who had power over the many slaves?

As opposed to the few slaveowners who had power over the many slaves?

Exactly. Those slave owners were the WHig party, which desolved in the 1850's and became the democrats who wantedto maintain their slave owner ship, and riches that they controlled. Not the sharing of wealth and land and having the commoner actually get ahead.

Exactly. Those slave owners were the WHig party, which desolved in the 1850's and became the democrats who wantedto maintain their slave owner ship, and riches that they controlled. Not the sharing of wealth and land and having the commoner actually get ahead.

You know, I think we each make a point though. Liberalism is in one respect about personal freedoms where as conservatism is about the lack of government intervention. In some cases, like this one the line is blurred, as both sides were conservative and liberal in different aspects.

The Republicans abolished slavery.

And the Republicans of that day weren't conservative, either. Ever hear of realignments in American parties? Do you know the stages of coalitions that have been built in American history?

(damn you BlueFire you neo-con!)?

:cry:

My political ideology is funny. I'd still consider myself more of a "liberal" than anything, but without a doubt in the "classical liberal" sense. Still, I identify more with the Libertarians than anything else at the present moment.

If you try to peg me on a north-south, east-west grid, I'm right on the border of liberal and libertarian.

It's rather amusing to me, because I get pegged as everything: Republican, Democrat, liberal (stuckincincy thinks I'm a die-hard liberal), conservative.

I argue on here with all the people supporting Obama, and then turn around and argue with the hard-core supporters of McCain in my family. :D

And the Republicans of that day weren't conservative, either. Ever hear of realignments in American parties? Do you know the stages of coalitions that have been built in American history?

The democrats today allow a KKK member to be third in succession to the President .

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

—Robert C. Byrd, in a letter to Sen. Theodore Bilbo (D-MS), 1944

The democrats today allow a KKK member to be third in succession to the President .

I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds.

The Republicans today consider racist segregationist Jesse Helms to be a "patriot".

"To rob the Negro of his reputation of thinking through a problem

in his own fashion is about the same as trying to pretend that he

doesn't have a natural instinct for rhythm and for

singing and dancing." - Jesse Helms

"The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint

that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic,

and interfere with other men's rights." - Jesse Helms

"University of Negroes and Communists" - Jesse Helms, in reference to The University of North Carolina

“No intelligent Negro citizen should be insulted by a reference to this very plain fact of life. It is time to face honestly and sincerely the purely scientific statistical evidence of natural racial distinction in group intellect. ... There is no bigotry either implicit or intended in such a realistic confrontation with the facts of life. ... Those who would undertake to solve the problem by merely spending more money, and by massive forced integration, may be doing the greatest injustice of all to the Negro.” - Jesse Helms

Because a letter Byrd wrote in 1944 totally reverses the realignment of the 1932 election.

The Republicans today consider racist segregationist Jesse Helms to be a "patriot".

"To rob the Negro of his reputation of thinking through a problem

in his own fashion is about the same as trying to pretend that he

doesn't have a natural instinct for rhythm and for

singing and dancing." - Jesse Helms

"The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint

that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic,

and interfere with other men's rights." - Jesse Helms

"University of Negroes and Communists" - Jesse Helms, in reference to The University of North Carolina

“No intelligent Negro citizen should be insulted by a reference to this very plain fact of life. It is time to face honestly and sincerely the purely scientific statistical evidence of natural racial distinction in group intellect. ... There is no bigotry either implicit or intended in such a realistic confrontation with the facts of life. ... Those who would undertake to solve the problem by merely spending more money, and by massive forced integration, may be doing the greatest injustice of all to the Negro.” - Jesse Helms

Ah, the ever popular: "The other side has sucky people too" argument. When your own are indefensible, ignore their transgressions and focus on the opponent. Gee, I wonder why so many were leery of the 2 party system during the country's infancy. :cry:

You know, I think we each make a point though. Liberalism is in one respect about personal freedoms where as conservatism is about the lack of government intervention. In some cases, like this one the line is blurred, as both sides were conservative and liberal in different aspects.

Sure, back in the McGovern days. Personal freedoms? Today? Maybe so, if you consider the government seizing you home and giving it to businesses to be "freedom." Check out the vote.

Many leftists are behind limiting free speech, especially on campuses. They are behind banning smoking, raising the drinking age, etc. This, when they aren't making play dates for their kids. many of whom attend segregated schools in rich suburbs, or even (gasp!) private schools.

Hillary was a corporate lawyer for Wal-Mart, no? She said that she can't remember her assignments, but I betcha I can guess! Ya think she was helping workers? :cry:

Now, I am not trying to sell you on repubs, so please don't go there. McCain is all of the above, and said to be anti-labor to boot. He was my next to last choice in the primary, only behind Huckabee, who said that if I don't support free college tuition for illegal aliens, I am a "bad christian."

I guess my point is that our freedom is eroding by the minute. I have said this before....things like a tailgate barbecue will soon be over. The smoke is harmful, and the burning flesh certainly must offend the militant vegetarian community, (almost all of whom would tell you that they are "liberals).

The thing is, when questioning who is taking away our liberty, I sense that you are looking in the wrong direction, or at least giving the liberal dummycrats a free pass.

You mean abolishing slavery, giving civil rights to minorities, and social security haven't worked? You mean that the New Deal wasn't successful in getting us out of the Great Depression? Darin, you really have to stop drinking that Kool-Aid man. Seriously, you have such a slanted view of things that you can't accept the other side having a good point. Now, I am sensible enough to know the conservative thoughts have a good and valid point when used correctly. I am also cognizant enough to know there is some flawed thought to every approach. In general, it is about finding the common ground. However you promote a one sided board where level discourse gets out of whack very quickly, with attacks on the poster rather than the issue at hand.

I see that your crediting abolishing slavery was debunked. Do you care to defend how well social security works? And regarding the New Deal, have you read much history? Economics? The New Deal is nowadays regarded as lengthening the Depression, and in any event, it certainly didn't end it.