Here's what I don't understand

eball

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyt, you've sure done your research, huh......

I mean how can anyone have any doubts with evidence like that. Our OL must have played the lights out last year to have produced like that......

So yeah, you've made your point......

So I guess you're saying Jason Peters sucked last year too? If the offense sucked and Peters sucked why do you want the Bills to give him more money? :thumbsup:

And I find it comical that 9 minutes after you you make an absurdly lengthy post proclaiming your unassailable innocence, your very next post in response to my inoffensive comet about Butler is a smarmy response chock full asinine sarcasm. That is the kind of adversarial douchebaggery that other posters have been referring to, solely precipitated by you.

And fwiw, when you get tossed out of here soon, that kind of ignorance and you're incessant crusading will be the primary reasons.

Have a nice day. :bag:

But you see Dog Man, they got their mega-bucks BEFORE one pro bowl season, and Pace was a holdout. They were early first round picks; Pace was the #1 overall. The Rams even traded up for him. Think about what he cost them and you know what? A great LT is worth it.

Teams made a drastic error when they skipped over Peters in the draft. The Bills, who continuously neglect the OL and waste picks on transient defensive backs, lucked into him. Now, while holding baskets of cash and cap room, it is time to pay up.

The names you listed above played a very prominent role in taking their teams to the superbowl. Peters can do this for us. Not this year, but down the road.

We need this player. Our franchise is fragile. It is habitually mismanaged and poorly coached. Jauron is a coach that nobody wanted who was hired by a GM that nobody wanted. Who is Brandon?

Our QB and star RB are 2nd year players. They will not improve as much sans Jason Peters. It isn't possible. Again, it is time to pay up.

I will never argue a great LT is worth it. And I don't argue that Peters isn't going to be one of the best. We certainly agree he is the best player on our offense, if not the team. His athleticism is unsurpassed. That doesn't make him a polished LT though. His technique is inconsistent at best. When he combines his great athleticism with true knowledge of the position I have no doubt he'll be in the company of the aformentioned. As you said, the others were 1st round picks (who COULD have been busts) that went on to multiple Pro Bowl seasons. THEN got their big payday (their rookie contracts notwithstanding). Peters has had one good season at the position. I can understand his position on the issue especially since he's not even the highest paid OLman on our team but he's going about this in the worst way possible.

Of course we need Peters if we are going to field our best team. But that's besides the point. The Bills have made it clear on their stance. Why can't Peters come in and take his physical? Why can't he come in and bust his ass in camp like others who've had or soon will have (Evans) their deals re-done?

GO BILLS!

Very good post.

My problem through this is that once again we have a team throwing money at players like Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Peerless Price, etc. but ignoring players like Evans and Peters.

Some seem to think that's wise, but I'm thinking that if Butler ever ends up more than say Ross Tucker ever did here I will be surprised. Otherwise it's only the opinion of posters that seem to suggest it won't. There's certainly no evidence to back up the notion that he was deserving of a contract paying him $3M/year.

Everyone including Bills fans thought that a similar contract, in fact a bigger one, was way too much for Kyle Williams too. I don't think he'll ever end up historically remembered anymore than say Tim Anderson was. I consider both players to be just the next flash in the pan. Sure, I could be wrong. But what we know as a fact is that both Evans and Peters, both at the forefront of their primes, have both done more and offer more to this club for the future.

IMO the money we gave Williams, Johnson, and Butler would have been better served the team had we given it to Evans an Peters and made due for DT backups and a RG elsewhere for a little less. JMO, but we have data on Peters and Evans suggesting that both have the potential to be top-10 if not top-5 at their positions.

Meanwhile we slight Peters and Evans. Smart? We'll see, but this organization's personnel and FO really can't be confused with one that's been smart over the last decade or so. And little has changed within it.

Again there is a demonstrable difference in status between the cases you site which explains their different treatment.

Anderson, Gandy, and Peerless had money "thrown" at them several times in their careers because they hit the FA market several times in the case of some of these vets. Neither Evans nor Peters will be an FA this year. In fact, by extending Peters though the Bills were not forced to do this and in current negotiations based on Evans being an FA next season the Bills have already in Peters case and appear likely to throw money in the direction of the two examples you site.

Even beyond the structural differences on where they are in their contacts, its totally legit for individual players to be treated quite differently based on the coaching assessment of each player's skills and the other alternatives available at that position on the team or in the league.

The thing that seems befuddling is why you seem to insist on their really being much equality or certainly equivalency between one players contract and another players.

As long as the Bills do not violate any rules there is really no reasonable expectation of equivalency.

Not sure why you keep taking shots at Brad Butler. If you had watched the Bills play last season you might have noticed that he really played some fantastic football throughout the year.

Butler should be the one moving to LT if Peters does not return for a while.

Walker is overmatched by rushers from the right side, let alone trying to handle qucker, elite rushers from the left side.

Which begs the question -- what the hell is Eugene Parker doing?

I know there's already a long holdout thread going, but I really think this is a different question. Why would Parker think this is the right way to deal with the Bills?

Does anybody know: is this the same Eugene Parker that played LB for the Bills (in the 70's) ??