Man shoots up church for its liberal views

A "batshit crazy act" would be something random like Charles Whitman. This church was specifically targeted by Adkisson because of their liberal policies.

Was Jody Foster going on the air every night and lambasting Reagan for ruining everything about America?

Why bring Keith Olberman into this?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks! This isn't about religion or politics. It's a tragedy. A mentally sick man, who wanted to die, and take people with him. People he could somehow blame for the world's ills, and his own failures. It's terrible that certain liberals would take a tragedy and try to make it an opportunity to blame their political opponents. Liberal opportunism is what this thread is really about. Meanwhile, millions of Sean Hannity listeners got up this moring, went about their day, and didn't shoot up a single church.

Folks! This isn't about religion or politics. It's a tragedy. A mentally sick man, who wanted to die, and take people with him. People he could somehow blame for the world's ills, and his own failures. It's terrible that certain liberals would take a tragedy and try to make it an opportunity to blame their political opponents. Liberal opportunism is what this thread is really about. Meanwhile, millions of Sean Hannity listeners got up this moring, went about their day, and didn't shoot up a single church.

This crime was a crime of hatred not mental illness. He had a very clear rationale for targeting this church citing his own inability to find a job and that his food stamps (how ironic, he was benefiting from a liberal entitlement program) were about to run out as reasons for his attack. He also railed against the Unitarian Universalist denomination as being "liberal," including the church's advocacy for gay and women's rights! How is this different from a Palestinian blowing up Israelis to make a political point? Why is it unreasonable to ask where this hatred of liberals came from? This guy was on hard times and the crap spewed out by Hannity, O'Reilly, and Savage provided a worldview for Adkisson where the fact that he couldn't find a job had nothing to do with the fact he was a low skilled, scruffy looking bigot but was a result of some liberal conspiracy! How come conservatives go nuts when a kid kills someone after playing Grand Theft Auto but refuse to acknowledge that this crime was a result of this guys hatred of liberals??

It's terrible that certain liberals would take a tragedy and try to make it an opportunity to blame their political opponents. Liberal opportunism is what this thread is really about.

Remember Virginia Tech?

Conservative Oppurtunism

Conservative Oppurtunism

Conservative Oppurtunism

Conservative Oppurtunism

And about a million other examples of conservative using one of the worst massacres in U.S. history to push a political agenda.

This crime was a crime of hatred not mental illness. He had a very clear rationale for targeting this church citing his own inability to find a job and that his food stamps (how ironic, he was benefiting from a liberal entitlement program) were about to run out as reasons for his attack. He also railed against the Unitarian Universalist denomination as being "liberal," including the church's advocacy for gay and women's rights! How is this different from a Palestinian blowing up Israelis to make a political point? Why is it unreasonable to ask where this hatred of liberals came from? This guy was on hard times and the crap spewed out by Hannity, O'Reilly, and Savage provided a worldview for Adkisson where the fact that he couldn't find a job had nothing to do with the fact he was a low skilled, scruffy looking bigot but was a result of some liberal conspiracy! How come conservatives go nuts when a kid kills someone after playing Grand Theft Auto but refuse to acknowledge that this crime was a result of this guys hatred of liberals??

I'm starting to read things from people that know him saying he has been a very dark troubled guy.

We've seen stuff like this before, disenfranchised people. At Columbine, at Viginia Tech, and several years ago at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth, when 47-year-old Larry Ashbrook, who authorities described as chronically unemployed and very troubled, burst in the door and opened fire, killing seven before killing himself. He reportedly shouted anti-religious, anti-Baptist curses as he fired. Ther's hatred, sure.

But you took this opportunity to make political hay. Shame on you.

The shooter's fifth wife (he was married 5 times) had belonged to that church in the past. Sounds to me like he had a personal reason.

Well then he probably wasn't mentally ill.

I don't know why people can't acknowledge the fact that political machinations have managed to convince a lazy, gullible public that it's a do-or-die "them or us" situation in this country. "Divide and conquer" .... duh. Clearly it works. People who probably wouldn't normally consider taking a life find it much simpler when the other side is dehumanized. Hence we have Japs, Gooks, Slopes, Charlie, etc etc etc. Apply a label and a person is not a person.

Show me a liberal who doesn't want good schools. Show me a conservative who really thinks war is better than peace. Show me either one who just doesn't want to be safe, secure, warm, dry and fed. We all want the same things - we just disagree on how to obtain and manage them. Disagreement is not a bad thing - often the best ideas come from the juxtaposition of two different points of view.

This man was a vicious individual who refused to take personal responsibilty for his failure in life; the hatemongers who he listened to gave him the justification he was looking for to blame someone else. You've got a President who has just about run this country into the ground financially, yet who refuses to accept any responsibility. You've got parents who sue the schools when their kids flunk. And etc.

It's not a political issue. It's human weakness run amok.

The shooter's fifth wife (he was married 5 times) had belonged to that church in the past. Sounds to me like he had a personal reason.

Not according to the shooter - "Police say Mr. Adkisson, an unemployed mechanical engineer, left a note listing his own inability to find a job as one reasons for his attack. He also railed against the Unitarian Universalist denomination as being "liberal," including the church's advocacy for gay rights. The FBI is investigating the shooting as a hate crime."

Show me a liberal who doesn't want good schools. Show me a conservative who really thinks war is better than peace. Show me either one who just doesn't want to be safe, secure, warm, dry and fed. We all want the same things - we just disagree on how to obtain and manage them. Disagreement is not a bad thing - often the best ideas come from the juxtaposition of two different points of view.

I agree!

I'm starting to read things from people that know him saying he has been a very dark troubled guy.

We've seen stuff like this before, disenfranchised people. At Columbine, at Viginia Tech, and several years ago at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth, when 47-year-old Larry Ashbrook, who authorities described as chronically unemployed and very troubled, burst in the door and opened fire, killing seven before killing himself. He reportedly shouted anti-religious, anti-Baptist curses as he fired. Ther's hatred, sure.

But you took this opportunity to make political hay. Shame on you.

Being a very dark troubled guy doesn't make one insane. Is Stephen King a dark, troubled liberal shooting up churchs?

Remember Virginia Tech?

Conservative Oppurtunism

Conservative Oppurtunism

Conservative Oppurtunism

Conservative Oppurtunism

And about a million other examples of conservative using one of the worst massacres in U.S. history to push a political agenda.

Oh. Good. As long as you admit that is what you are doing. But I don't seem to remember right wingers claiming left wingers made that guy at Virginia Teech kill those kids. I don't remember that.

Oh. Good. As long as you admit that is what you are doing. But I don't seem to remember right wingers claiming left wingers made that guy at Virginia Teech kill those kids. I don't remember that.

I'm merely pointing out how poisonous political discourse has become in this country. You're not the least bit curious as to why this guy had such hatred towards liberals?

I'm merely pointing out how poisonous political discourse has become in this country. You're not the least bit curious as to why this guy had such hatred towards liberals?

And we the evil overlords would like to thank you for making sure that the course isn't reversed.

I certainly hope that you're a troll, because you've made quite a caricature on this space.

I certainly hope that you're a troll, because you've made quite a caricature on this space.

Only problem would be that trolls are actually supposed to get people stirred up. All this dope stirs up is reminders of the gravity of the failure of our educational system.

Did I? You're being a little vague of "their" beliefs vs. your beliefs. If you're saying you don't support AA and the rest of the crap you listed in your last post, than you're not as off the wall as I thought.

I don't think that any of those work out right. That is what I was saying. Yes, each side has their bull sh--. I just don't see a man shooting up a place because of the liberal bull sh--

I strongly disagree. How often does a nutcase shoot up a church? Sad for those two people who died, but thousands of people die every day in all sorts of sad ways. Is it sadder than if the guy had killed them in a DUI while they were driving to church?

They are both tragedies, yes. However, one of them is politically motivated and is the reason that we are talking about it. While it is sad to see a drunk man unintentionally kill a few people, I think it is sadder to see a man intentionally kill a bunch of people for a bull sh-- reason.

You know why?

Because you people really !@#$ing piss us off!!!

Why are you letting other people effect the way you feel? You can't control them, you can only control yourself.

Nothing should bother you that much... Couple that with personal responsibility and accountabilty and nothing should piss you off like you claim it does.

Why are you letting other people effect the way you feel? You can't control them, you can only control yourself.

Nothing should bother you that much... Couple that with personal responsibility and accountabilty and nothing should piss you off like you claim it does.

Unfortunately when they get in power they control my wallet and my life. THAT is what pisses me off.