Fuel added to Peters' fire?

Hmm...

Bengals notebook

Whitworth gets 4-year, $30 million extension

By Mark Curnutte, Cincinnati Enquirer 07/28/08

"...On Sunday, Andrew Whitworth - who has started 28 of 32 games in his first two NFL seasons - signed a four-year contract extension through the 2013 season.

"They made a statement that they wanted me to be here. And I said I wanted to be here for a longer period of time to help us win," said Whitworth, whose (2nd round - '06) rookie deal ran through 2009.

The extension is good for $30 million in new money, similar to the contract extension signed by fellow third-year pro Domata Peko, a defensive tackle, in June.

Whitworth has made 13 of his NFL starts at left tackle. Whitworth played 1,041 of the offense's 1,047 snaps last season, second-most on the team behind quarterback Carson Palmer."...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../807280378/1066

Thanks for posting this C-Man. Hopefully this will convince a poster or two of how important these guys are, and how much they make. When you break it down per year, Whitworth will make similar money to Dockery (although for less years).

One never knows, but I am thinking that if the Bills make Peters the highest paid blocker on the team, he would sign.

With Peters, the possibilities for the Bills are endless. Having a pro bowl LT allows the team to look to improve other spots such as TE, DT and OC. Without him, they are going to lose, and lose big.

I wish they would simply cut the crap, give him a new contract, and move on.

Once again -- the Bills haven't said they won't renegotiate Peters' contract. They have said they need Peters to do his part by coming to camp and showing good faith. Unfortunately Peters' agent's M.O. is clearly to take what I believe is the "lazy" route by holding his players out.

Panicking and calling for the Bills to immediately succumb to Peters' demands is not the answer. If the Bills were to take that route, they would set a horrible precedent and make Russ Brandon's job a nightmare.

This issue will resolve itself before the end of camp, probably after Evans is extended.

Thanks for posting this C-Man. Hopefully this will convince a poster or two of how important these guys are, and how much they make. When you break it down per year, Whitworth will make similar money to Dockery (although for less years).

One never knows, but I am thinking that if the Bills make Peters the highest paid blocker on the team, he would sign.

With Peters, the possibilities for the Bills are endless. Having a pro bowl LT allows the team to look to improve other spots such as TE, DT and OC. Without him, they are going to lose, and lose big.

No doubt this is probably the most important position on the team (besides QB, of course). They should eventually show him the money - a lot of it. However, if you click on the link above, you will see a photo of Whitworth standing next to Levi Jones (another person we should have drafted, but missed on) at camp. Point is that Peters needs to show up at camp, that will send a strong message.

No question of Peters importance to this team. But, plenty of questions about how he's handling himself. Get into camp & play the damn game.

if peters actually stated his demands, i'm sure the bills would take that as a starting point. The person getting paid always starts the negotiations, football or otherwise. The bills aren't going to offer a silent brick wall a contract. They'd counteroffer though. Point is: peters either needs to show up to camp or come to the table...

Hmm...

Bengals notebook

"...On Sunday, Andrew Whitworth - who has started 28 of 32 games in his first two NFL seasons - signed a four-year contract extension through the 2013 season.

"They made a statement that they wanted me to be here. And I said I wanted to be here for a longer period of time to help us win," said Whitworth, whose (2nd round - '06) rookie deal ran through 2009.

The extension is good for $30 million in new money, similar to the contract extension signed by fellow third-year pro Domata Peko, a defensive tackle, in June.

Whitworth has made 13 of his NFL starts at left tackle. Whitworth played 1,041 of the offense's 1,047 snaps last season, second-most on the team behind quarterback Carson Palmer."...

why does this add fuel to the fire...Peters show up, starting working and then things will get done. Be a jerk, sit out and the Bills aren't gonna lift a figer to help you.

His agent is a idiot for giving him this advise.

Once again -- the Bills haven't said they won't renegotiate Peters' contract. They have said they need Peters to do his part by coming to camp and showing good faith. Unfortunately Peters' agent's M.O. is clearly to take what I believe is the "lazy" route by holding his players out.

Panicking and calling for the Bills to immediately succumb to Peters' demands is not the answer. If the Bills were to take that route, they would set a horrible precedent and make Russ Brandon's job a nightmare.

This issue will resolve itself before the end of camp, probably after Evans is extended.

Thank you....I concur 100% I am all in favor of re-doing his contract, BUT he must get his butt into camp first.

Hmm...

Bengals notebook

Did he report to camp on time?

The Bills stepped up and gave Peters an extension once already...

Now the douche refuses to show up to workouts and camp .

I wouldn't be in a hurry to invest 50 mil into a player who refuses to demonstrate why someone would invest 50 mil inot them.

Peters has to show up. He is getting piss poor advice from his agent, because there is no reason for Peters not to be in camp and working his 2nd extension from that angle

Bill, I don't mean to jump into this discussion in the middle, but do you think that there is any chance Peters is not starting opening day? And do you think the front office would really let him leave? Just looking for honest opinions.

Bills already extended Peters' rookie deal.......unfortunately, in today's NFL, an extension doesn't mean the player will actually honor the contract and his word

I get so tired of hearing the bologna. NFL contracts are written in favor of the owners who can cut the player anytime he wants for ANY reason.

I get so tired of hearing the bologna. NFL contracts are written in favor of the owners who can cut the player anytime he wants for ANY reason.

I share your pity for the many, many NFL millionaires, and even for the early camp cut that walks off with a hundred grand after 20 days of free housing and food. Well - that's show biz! :P

Like a torn groin that never fully heals to support a 340lb man?

Welcome to the board Jaws....if I didn't know better I would think you're posting from St John Fischer!