Here's my Training Camp Report from 7/26/08 AM

Here we go. It's now Day 2 of the Buffalo Bills Training Camp. Today was the final day of the two-a-day practices. I was there for the morning and it was a nice day outside with no rain. The players worked out in helmets and shorts, so it was a minimal contact day. They worked on a few special teams drills, including punt catching and blocking. The team also worked on the individual drills with their own units, 7-on-7 and of course the 11-on-11 full team drill.

As always, the players started out by working with their individual units. Then they worked on some special teams drills. Bobby April had them split up into different groups. He had the punt returners practice catching the ball, while holding onto another ball. The players who participated in this drill were Roscoe Parrish, Fred Jackson, Josh Reed, Scott Mayle, and Jason Jones. Roscoe Parrish made some nice catches, as did Fred Jackson. On the other side of the field, the linemen worked on different blocking schemes for field goals. The kickers used soccer balls to practice extra points while the team worked on blocking. Brian Moorman worked with Ryan Neill on some long snapping. The special teams lasted about 10 minutes or so and then the players worked on some 7-on-7 drills as the linemen did blocking drills.

Trent Edwards started the 7-on-7 passing drills with a 6-yard pass to Marshawn Lynch. He then found Derek Schouman for 8-yards. However on the next play, Edwards threw the ball right into Terrence McGee's hands, who got the easy interception. Edwards recovered from that by throwing a 5-yard pass to Josh Reed. He found Lee Evans open for 8-yards on the next play. Then Edwards hit Roscoe Parrish, but he dropped the ball. JP Losman came in and threw a 7-yard pass to Derek Fine. He tried to go deep on the next play, but George Wilson and Will James had solid coverage and knocked it down. Losman then threw a 5-yard pass to James Hardy, who also made a nice leaping catch on the next play for about 11-yards. JP finished the series with a 7-yard pass to Justin Jenkins...............

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article....

Here we go. It's now Day 2 of the Buffalo Bills Training Camp. Today was the final day of the two-a-day practices. I was there for the morning and it was a nice day outside with no rain. The players worked out in helmets and shorts, so it was a minimal contact day. They worked on a few special teams drills, including punt catching and blocking. The team also worked on the individual drills with their own units, 7-on-7 and of course the 11-on-11 full team drill.

As always, the players started out by working with their individual units. Then they worked on some special teams drills. Bobby April had them split up into different groups. He had the punt returners practice catching the ball, while holding onto another ball. The players who participated in this drill were Roscoe Parrish, Fred Jackson, Josh Reed, Scott Mayle, and Jason Jones. Roscoe Parrish made some nice catches, as did Fred Jackson. On the other side of the field, the linemen worked on different blocking schemes for field goals. The kickers used soccer balls to practice extra points while the team worked on blocking. Brian Moorman worked with Ryan Neill on some long snapping. The special teams lasted about 10 minutes or so and then the players worked on some 7-on-7 drills as the linemen did blocking drills.

Trent Edwards started the 7-on-7 passing drills with a 6-yard pass to Marshawn Lynch. He then found Derek Schouman for 8-yards. However on the next play, Edwards threw the ball right into Terrence McGee's hands, who got the easy interception. Edwards recovered from that by throwing a 5-yard pass to Josh Reed. He found Lee Evans open for 8-yards on the next play. Then Edwards hit Roscoe Parrish, but he dropped the ball. JP Losman came in and threw a 7-yard pass to Derek Fine. He tried to go deep on the next play, but George Wilson and Will James had solid coverage and knocked it down. Losman then threw a 5-yard pass to James Hardy, who also made a nice leaping catch on the next play for about 11-yards. JP finished the series with a 7-yard pass to Justin Jenkins...............

CLICK HERE for the rest of the article....

Thanks a bunch for doing this. Really helps us out of towners.

Hardy's hands must be 11' or 11.5' high in that photo....wow...he is going to be tough to defend in short yardage situations and in the red zone....

Mike--you are the best...year in and year out you are the God of Training Camp Reporters..

Mike, you planning on doing this every day? This is awesome, and by far my favourite camp report I've seen. Much better than Buffalo news and BB.com if you ask me. Just wondering if I can add this to my daily reading.

I'm planning to get there as much as I can. The night practices are tougher for me to do the reports though as I work right after. I will also be missing the whole 2nd week of August at camp as I'll be in Maryland for a vacation.

Great report Mike. I was also at this morning's practice and had a couple observations to add. I pretty much concentrated on 2 areas today: TE's (probably the most competitive battle) and the WR's - namely our newest acquisition James Hardy and the battle for the last WR spot - specifically Steve Johnson.

1. With respect to our TE's -- I think Robert Royal is the most polished. He appeared to get off the ball the best and also ran the cleanest routes - very fluid (but struggled when it came to making the catch and/or adjustments to the ball). Schouman is probably the best at making the catch as he is very focused on the ball - but struggles mightily when it comes to getting off the ball -- especially against linebackers. He seemed to get pushed off his route way too easy (one play stands out where shouman clearly wanted to break to the outside and was pushed inside, never recovered and was taken out of the play). Anderson is HUGE. I mean this guy is a big big target and seems like he has some pretty good quicks to him. Problem that I saw was again getting off the ball. For someone as big and quick as Anderson appears, he had the same problem as schouman getting off the ball. He immediately gets too high and loses leverage right away. I think he would hold much promise if he demonstrated more strength and technique. I really didn't see much of Derek Fine to make an accurate assessment -- and he didn't have as many reps/looks as the others.

2. WR's -- Hardy has the potential to be a big time NFL receiver and in my opinion should crack the starting lineup sooner rather than later. He simply has the physical tools and ability to make guys look silly out there. One play in particular he was matched up one on one with Ashton Youboty. Hardy gave a little juke move then used his hands to get some separation -- he nearly knocked youboty on his can and proceeded to make the catch on about a 7 yard slant with no one around him. I was really impressed with Hardy today! On another note, I really wanted to focus on Steve Johnson -- as he was much hyped around here on draft day. I will say that my thoughts on him were tempered today. He made some grabs, made some mistakes. He struggled to get separation from our corners -- but appears as though he does have potential. Still, I'm not convinced he will warrant a 53-man spot and probably doesn't have enough to overtake some vets based on what I saw today -- here's hoping he improves with camp.

A couple other random thoughts:

1. Trent Edwards is our starting QB. There is no question in my mind. He just has a poise and internal clock that JP does not have. Edwards gets the ball out so quickly and he seems to make his mind up on his progressions in a way that I'm afraid JP never will - or at least not in Buffalo. Mike mentioned a pick early on by Trent -- but it was because the receiver (Lee I believe) fell down. The ball was there on a timing throw and it was an easy pick for the DB -- but one that Evans should have caught. I like JP and wish him well -- I just don't think he will be a starting QB here unless Trent gets hurt.

2. Liked what I saw from Kawika Mitchell. Played very fast and showed the experience of a vet who knows what he is doing. POZ also looked good and hopefully will return to the form he showed before last years injury.

Sorry for the long post -- but wanted to add my observations here rather than start a new thread. Should be a fun year. GO Bills!

Thanks a lot to both of you too! Great reports. And Mike, you're gonna have to cancel that trip to Maryland - it's overrated.

I find it interesting that April had the "kickoff/punt catchers" catching with a ball already in their hands. How is this a realistic situation at all? When the heck ever are you going to have to catch a punt while already holding a ball? I wonder if this helps at all?

Great report Mike. I was also at this morning's practice and had a couple observations to add. I pretty much concentrated on 2 areas today: TE's (probably the most competitive battle) and the WR's - namely our newest acquisition James Hardy and the battle for the last WR spot - specifically Steve Johnson.

1. With respect to our TE's -- I think Robert Royal is the most polished. He appeared to get off the ball the best and also ran the cleanest routes - very fluid (but struggled when it came to making the catch and/or adjustments to the ball). Schouman is probably the best at making the catch as he is very focused on the ball - but struggles mightily when it comes to getting off the ball -- especially against linebackers. He seemed to get pushed off his route way too easy (one play stands out where shouman clearly wanted to break to the outside and was pushed inside, never recovered and was taken out of the play). Anderson is HUGE. I mean this guy is a big big target and seems like he has some pretty good quicks to him. Problem that I saw was again getting off the ball. For someone as big and quick as Anderson appears, he had the same problem as schouman getting off the ball. He immediately gets too high and loses leverage right away. I think he would hold much promise if he demonstrated more strength and technique. I really didn't see much of Derek Fine to make an accurate assessment -- and he didn't have as many reps/looks as the others.

2. WR's -- Hardy has the potential to be a big time NFL receiver and in my opinion should crack the starting lineup sooner rather than later. He simply has the physical tools and ability to make guys look silly out there. One play in particular he was matched up one on one with Ashton Youboty. Hardy gave a little juke move then used his hands to get some separation -- he nearly knocked youboty on his can and proceeded to make the catch on about a 7 yard slant with no one around him. I was really impressed with Hardy today! On another note, I really wanted to focus on Steve Johnson -- as he was much hyped around here on draft day. I will say that my thoughts on him were tempered today. He made some grabs, made some mistakes. He struggled to get separation from our corners -- but appears as though he does have potential. Still, I'm not convinced he will warrant a 53-man spot and probably doesn't have enough to overtake some vets based on what I saw today -- here's hoping he improves with camp.

A couple other random thoughts:

1. Trent Edwards is our starting QB. There is no question in my mind. He just has a poise and internal clock that JP does not have. Edwards gets the ball out so quickly and he seems to make his mind up on his progressions in a way that I'm afraid JP never will - or at least not in Buffalo. Mike mentioned a pick early on by Trent -- but it was because the receiver (Lee I believe) fell down. The ball was there on a timing throw and it was an easy pick for the DB -- but one that Evans should have caught. I like JP and wish him well -- I just don't think he will be a starting QB here unless Trent gets hurt.

2. Liked what I saw from Kawika Mitchell. Played very fast and showed the experience of a vet who knows what he is doing. POZ also looked good and hopefully will return to the form he showed before last years injury.

Sorry for the long post -- but wanted to add my observations here rather than start a new thread. Should be a fun year. GO Bills!

Thanks for sharing your notes. I love seeing the different things that people catch. You could have 10 different people there and they would have have some extra things in their notes. I'll have to start doing what you did and check out different positions and players on different days. Good idea! :cry:

Thanks a lot to both of you too! Great reports. And Mike, you're gonna have to cancel that trip to Maryland - it's overrated.

I find it interesting that April had the "kickoff/punt catchers" catching with a ball already in their hands. How is this a realistic situation at all? When the heck ever are you going to have to catch a punt while already holding a ball? I wonder if this helps at all?

Thanks, but I'm going there mainly for a friend's wedding. Plus I'm going to catch the Bills/Redskins pre-season game. ;)

The special teams drill interested me too. It started out with the PRs catching a punt, then tossing it right before they catch the 2nd one. Then they started trying to catch 1 while already holding onto the 2nd one. Maybe it has something to do with concentration or something? I don't know. But I wouldn't 2nd guess Bobby April ever. :cry:

...A couple other random thoughts:

Some around here would have you believe that element of TE's game is a big negative. That he's too willing to give up on the long play and goes through his progressions too fast. It's all about 'positive' plays. High percentage plays. Versus the VERY low percentage play of the DEEP SIDELINE PASS. Chicks dig the long ball, I guess. The name of the game is to keep the chains moving. That said, I look for TE to take far more chances down field as he's grown more comfortable with Evans, etc. Bank on it. In the meantime, like you, I'll be happy with someone that shows a TOTAL command of the offense.

GO BILLS!!!

Some around here would have you believe that element of TE's game is a big negative. That he's too willing to give up on the long play and goes through his progressions too fast. It's all about 'positive' plays. High percentage plays. Versus the VERY low percentage play of the DEEP SIDELINE PASS. Chicks dig the long ball, I guess. The name of the game is to keep the chains moving. That said, I look for TE to take far more chances down field as he's grown more comfortable with Evans, etc. Bank on it. In the meantime, like you, I'll be happy with someone that shows a TOTAL command of the offense.

GO BILLS!!!

Good post and it's what I'm seeing too. Sure Trent dumps it off quickly, but he still gets rid of the ball and tries to keep moving the chains. I also forsee the long ball mixed in his passing game several times throughout the season.