Brett Favre used Packers cell phone to call other teams

Is there an actual NFL rule that would prevent a team (KC for this example) of obtaining Favre in a trade and then turning around and sending him to Minnesota. I know it would essentially ruin any professional relationship KC and GB would have from that point forward, but is it illegal? Collusion?

Is there an actual NFL rule that would prevent a team (KC for this example) of obtaining Favre in a trade and then turning around and sending him to Minnesota. I know it would essentially ruin any professional relationship KC and GB would have from that point forward, but is it illegal? Collusion?

There isn't a league rule, but the Packers could include a clause prohibiting it in the legalese of any potential trade.

There isn't a league rule, but the Packers could include a clause prohibiting it in the legalese of any potential trade.

I'd guess that it would be dependent upon whether the state in which the "interim" team was located had any employment law restrictions on "non-compete" types of clauses.

My understanding of the law here in California is that a clause that didn't allow Favre to be shopped to any other team would be invalid and his new "employer" would be free to send him where they wished. That wouldn't necessarily keep Green Bay from filing and possibly even winning a judgment against the CA team for violating the original deal, but all the same Green Bay would be able to do nothing to stop Favre from signing on in Minnesota.

Kind of reminds me of the phone conversation between John Travolta and the drug dealer in Pulp Fiction, when he's driving with Uma Thurman O.D.'d in the passenger seat:

LANCE

She ain't my !@#$in' problem, you

!@#$ed her up, you deal with it --

wait, are you talkin' to me on a cellular

phone?

VINCENT

Sorry.

LANCE

I don't know you--who is this,

don't come here, I'm hangin' up.

VINCENT

Too late, I'm already here.

and Favre would refuse to report unless the clause was removed.

then he would come to camp and make the Packers play him or cut him.

The Pack needs plausible deniability for sending him to Minn.

More likely is the Packers arrange a 3 way deal behind the scenes so they claim to their fan base that they traded him to the AFC.

They could not stop the 2nd deal to Minnesota (wink, wink)

It think it is actually a complex plan where he is still loyal to the Packers, and is just trying to screw with the Vikes to help Green Bay out. The Packers gave him the cell phone so he could bait Minnesota into losing some draft picks and the like.

Reports now coming out that Favre (nor any other Packer) doesn't have a team-issued phone.

This is getting funny now.

Packer official: Yes sir, we've got evidence of tampering right here in our team-issued phone records.

NFL official: You can't perk players with phones in the salary cap era; that's a violation.

Packer official: ummmmm..... uhhhhhh........ errrrrrrrr ............. what phone?

:rolleyes:

Reports now coming out that Favre (nor any other Packer) doesn't have a team-issued phone.

This is getting funny now.

Packer official: Yes sir, we've got evidence of tampering right here in our team-issued phone records.

NFL official: You can't perk players with phones in the salary cap era; that's a violation.

Packer official: ummmmm..... uhhhhhh........ errrrrrrrr ............. what phone?

:rolleyes:

Ha ha ha. Great stuff. I wonder what else the Pack has been providing Favre on the side? Maybe a team vehicle or house or pair of short shorts.

In fairness to Favre, it should be mentioned that any phone calls he made to the Vikings were made in a gunslinging fashion, and through the entire conversation, he looked like a kid out there, just having fun.

Awesome.