Michael Lombardi is clearly brilliant

Frankly Football: Three non-playoff teams that will make the leap in '08

The Bills are a team I love. They have a talented core of young players. They have a very good defensive line with DE Aaron Schobel and offseason acquisition Marcus Stroud at DT. They have a bright young quarterback in Trent Edwards, who is surrounded by some of the best skills players in the NFL with wide receivers Roscoe Parrish and Lee Evans and running back Marshawn Lynch. This is a potentially dynamic offense -- as they learn how to play the game, they will improve and become very tough to slow down. They should score points in bunches.

Their special team units, covering and returning kicks, are in the top five in the NFL. Very few teams can match their talent in the kicking game and they can control field position with these units. Parrish is dynamic with the ball in his hands on punt returns and Terrence McGee as the kickoff returner assures the Bills great field position every time he touches the ball.

They do have a favorable schedule, playing the AFC West and the NFC West this year. Last year, the Bills were 7-6 heading into the final three weeks of the season, but could not close out with any wins. They also had two home games clearly within reach that they let slip away -- the opener against the Broncos and then against the Cowboys. Add those two wins and they would have been 9-4 with three weeks to play. So, with a few breaks -- or maybe a few less breaks than a year ago (the Bills led the league in IR players last year) -- expect the Bills to be a very tough team this season.

Hope springs eternal, especially in the summer.

I don't think the offense will be dynamic, especially considering DJ is the HC. His teams are never offensive juggernauts.

This team will win or lose based on the defense.

Their special team units, covering and returning kicks, are in the top five in the NFL. Very few teams can match their talent in the kicking game and they can control field position with these units.

Amen.

Where would we have been the past few seasons if the Special Teams weren't as good as it is?

'Screwed' is the answer.

Hope springs eternal, especially in the summer.

I don't think the offense will be dynamic, especially considering DJ is the HC. His teams are never offensive juggernauts.

This team will win or lose based on the defense.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/

8th in yards in 1999, 11th in points in 2001. To say never is clearly a wrong statement. But I'm sure most coach staffs would put up monster point totals with the Qbs Jauron has had. :devil:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/

8th in yards in 1999, 11th in points in 2001. To say never is clearly a wrong statement. But I'm sure most coach staffs would put up monster point totals with the Qbs Jauron has had. :devil:

What was the Bears record in 99? And there are several on this board who can tell you 01 was very fluky. Mike Brown scoring TD's in the waning moments of games clearly helped their offensive showing that year. Neither season resulted in post-season success.

Perhaps you know that none of the three OC's DJ has employed in his seasons as HC (not incl Detroit) are in the NFL. Well, I guess you can't find that on pro-football-reference.com.

Amen.

Where would we have been the past few seasons if the Special Teams weren't as good as it is?

'Screwed' is the answer.

I'm growing to recognize that 7-9 is pretty much being "screwed" ;-)

I agree with Lombardi about the "dyanamic offense" statement. This is the first time in years that we've even had a chance to considered dynamic. DJ is not an offensive juggernaut kind of coach, but the big-play ability is there this year. Just because the team doesn't go out there like the Greatest Show on Turf, doesn't mean that the offense isn't light-years better than it has been the last 5 seasons. It's nice to have the ability to open the offense up if need be. In the past, there was no real offense to open up.

I agree with Lombardi about the "dyanamic offense" statement. This is the first time in years that we've even had a chance to considered dynamic. DJ is not an offensive juggernaut kind of coach, but the big-play ability is there this year. Just because the team doesn't go out there like the Greatest Show on Turf, doesn't mean that the offense isn't light-years better than it has been the last 5 seasons. It's nice to have the ability to open the offense up if need be. In the past, there was no real offense to open up.

In Turk we trust....