Bills ESPN Chat Q&A

Brad(NM): What do you make of Buffalo's D Matt? The backs are young, but the line is experienced and they get Poz back.

Matt Williamson: It is going to be excellent. MUCH better than last year. My one concern: their ability to rush the passer off the edge. I like Schobel, but without another big threat on the opposite side, he can be taken away. This D is missing that one piece.

Here's the rest.

It's time for kelsay and to earn his pay check. No excuses now. I am not sure what his contract stipulates but if he doesnt perform the way hes getting paid they should release his azz. Im tired of watching him get beat by 3rd rate tackles.

Same for Schobel, some one teach this guy an inside move instead of taking magellans route to the QB.

if the health holds up (and that's a big if), i think the DE pressure will be much improved this year.......to run a true 4 man rotation will be a huge advantage and chris ellis looks like a true edge rusher needed to pair with schobel on passing downs

if the health holds up (and that's a big if), i think the DE pressure will be much improved this year.......to run a true 4 man rotation will be a huge advantage and chris ellis looks like a true edge rusher needed to pair with schobel on passing downs

Why is that a big if?

I am willing to bet that Kelsay improves this year just because the middle of the line is going to be better........

That, and they'll have Mitchell coming off the edge, and Chris Ellis (3rd-round pick) supposedly has wheels.

Why is that a big if?

bills got hammered by injuries last year - law of averages says that at least one of the four will miss some time this year

denney's health is certainly questionable after the two surgeries he had on the broken foot last year

Someoens gotta make plays on the outside this year. I watch alot of ACC football and Ellis was always around the ball. Seems to have great instincts.

And hes only going to get bigger. It would be great to have DE that weighed more than a WR.

I am willing to bet that Kelsay improves this year just because the middle of the line is going to be better........

I'm willing to bet Kelsay is as good as he's gonna get. I think 2005 will be his career year, and that his skill level is that of of 2-4 sack guy off the edge and a 40-50 tackle player. He has a rather slow first step, he's quick once he gets going, but with a lack of pass rush moves, and poor initial movement, he'll be rather ineffective as a player off the edge on passing downs. I'll even go as far as to predict, that if Chris Ellis picks up the defense quickly, he'll be taking a good pct of Kelsays snaps on passing downs, and will take his starting job, by next season.

I'm willing to bet Kelsay is as good as he's gonna get. I think 2005 will be his career year, and that his skill level is that of of 2-4 sack guy off the edge and a 40-50 tackle player. He has a rather slow first step, he's quick once he gets going, but with a lack of pass rush moves, and poor initial movement, he'll be rather ineffective as a player off the edge on passing downs. I'll even go as far as to predict, that if Chris Ellis picks up the defense quickly, he'll be taking a good pct of Kelsays snaps on passing downs, and will take his starting job, by next season.

There's way more to being a DE than just sacks. Unless you watch a ton of film, you really can't comment on Kelsay's play. Perhaps he took on blockers to free others to make players. Aaron Smith on Pittsburgh signed a similar deal to Kelsay and has pretty much the same stats. Ellis is probably never gonna be an every down player in NFL because of his size. But in 2005 the Kelsay and Denney combo combined for about 12 sacks. That's solid production. I think Kelsay is gonna have a good year and silence alot of his doubters. JMO.

There's way more to being a DE than just sacks. Unless you watch a ton of film, you really can't comment on Kelsay's play. Perhaps he took on blockers to free others to make players. Aaron Smith on Pittsburgh signed a similar deal to Kelsay and has pretty much the same stats. Ellis is probably never gonna be an every down player in NFL because of his size. But in 2005 the Kelsay and Denney combo combined for about 12 sacks. That's solid production. I think Kelsay is gonna have a good year and silence alot of his doubters. JMO.

No and I don't claim to be an expert on the in's and outs of defensive end play within nfl schemes. While I would love to have the ability to watch countless film, I don't. I can only go off what I see on the field. I don't see where ellis is "too small" to be an everydown player either. Compared to some of of the top ends in the game today. The majority of which are thinner players. Ellis is what 6'5 250? A similar height/weight to Schobel. Jason Taylor made a crazy productive career off being lanky. As well as a lot of dends around the league. A tampa 2 defense, doesn't call for hold your ground de's. It's a pressure oriented scheme. Inside to out. I heard the rhetoric about Kelsay proving his doubters wrong last year to. I'm gonna agree to disagree. I don't dislike the guy. He has a spot on an nfl team. He's far from a terrible player. I just think he's inadequate as a starting caliber player.

Aaron Smith btw is a 3-4 end. He's also about 30lbs heavier then Kelsay. There's really no comparison. Smith is one of the better 3-4 ends in the game, outside of Richard Seymour. While the Bills are in a defense that's about collapsing the pocket, and getting after the qb. As far as it goes between Kelsay/Denney. That's a good point. I'd also venture to say Denney imo is a better all around player then Kelsay. He's stronger, holds up space better, and is just as quick. Cause of his height he's ideal for batting down passes at the los. He's kind of stiff in his play, and the explosion isn't there, but it's an interesting comparison to sit on. While getting sacks isn't the be all end all. BTW I much more value, the pressure aspect then sack totals. Kelsay isn't really a player who can do either. I think it speaks volumes to the bills poor 3rd down defense, over the past several seasons. The inability of the ends, to force hurried throws. Im just not a fan of the guy as a starter. As a rotation player we could do a hell of a lot worse.

No and I don't claim to be an expert on the in's and outs of defensive end play within nfl schemes. While I would love to have the ability to watch countless film, I don't. I can only go off what I see on the field. I don't see where ellis is "too small" to be an everydown player either. Compared to some of of the top ends in the game today. The majority of which are thinner players. Ellis is what 6'5 250? A similar height/weight to Schobel. Jason Taylor made a crazy productive career off being lanky. As well as a lot of dends around the league. A tampa 2 defense, doesn't call for hold your ground de's. It's a pressure oriented scheme. Inside to out. I heard the rhetoric about Kelsay proving his doubters wrong last year to. I'm gonna agree to disagree. I don't dislike the guy. He has a spot on an nfl team. He's far from a terrible player. I just think he's inadequate as a starting caliber player.

Aaron Smith btw is a 3-4 end. He's also about 30lbs heavier then Kelsay. There's really no comparison. Smith is one of the better 3-4 ends in the game, outside of Richard Seymour. While the Bills are in a defense that's about collapsing the pocket, and getting after the qb. As far as it goes between Kelsay/Denney. That's a good point. I'd also venture to say Denney imo is a better all around player then Kelsay. He's stronger, holds up space better, and is just as quick. Cause of his height he's ideal for batting down passes at the los. He's kind of stiff in his play, and the explosion isn't there, but it's an interesting comparison to sit on. While getting sacks isn't the be all end all. BTW I much more value, the pressure aspect then sack totals. Kelsay isn't really a player who can do either. I think it speaks volumes to the bills poor 3rd down defense, over the past several seasons. The inability of the ends, to force hurried throws. Im just not a fan of the guy as a starter. As a rotation player we could do a hell of a lot worse.

If Denney is better than Kelsay....then why does Kelsay start and make a ton more money than Denney. I understand the logic that we needed to resign Kelsay as a solid performer, but if Denney was as good as him, there is no way we would have signed him for as much as we did. I remember in 2006 that Chris Brown gave out season awards and Kelsay had the highest percentage of tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage even though Fletcher had the most.

Besides, Kelsay is ranked an 83 in Madden so you know he's pretty solid. :ph34r:

I think that Ellis' health is the biggest question. If he stays healthy, I think he will contribute alot to our D as a pass rusher. I also think that Spencer Johnson will be used more than expected as a DE on alot of 1st downs and 3rd or 4th down short yardage plays. These guys like Kelsay and Denney aren't assured that they'll be seeing the field 90% of the time this year. Hopefully, that lights a fire up under their rear ends and they start playing like they were expected to from the beginning.