Turk Schonert is an amalgamation of 3 geniuses

OK, before I get to the really important stuff...to successfully mentor a QB does your last name have to begin with "W"? :blink:

Chris Brown reports:

But the approach Schonert is taking with Edwards is one that was used by Charlie Weis with Tom Brady and by Bill Walsh with Joe Montana and by Sam Wyche with Boomer Esiason. They picked the brain of their quarterback during the week of preparation for the next opponent to see what they felt would work and wouldn't work on Sunday.

Genius in the making!

Tongue now removed from cheek...

How friggin revolutionary!!! Play to your team's strengths!!! :lol::P:worthy:

Here's to hoping that in 3 years time Schonert is the OC everyone is touting at seasons end.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that it will require us to wait for three years. Based on everything that I have seen of this offense in the OTAs and everything that is being reported on the team, thre should be a marked and positive difference in the the offensive scheme and the way the Bills approach the game on that side of the ball. People are being critical of Schonert, but from what I can see, the offense is in a much better place right now under this scheme, which seems much more suited to their strengths, than to the one SF had in place. We weren't built for an all out aerial assault last year and the team should have known that before hiring a guy who really didn't know how to run an offense that did anything else. That led to seriously predictability. Schonert's scheme is much better suited to the Bills' strengths and that should show in terms of offensive production and points scored.

I don't think that it will require us to wait for three years. Based on everything that I have seen of this offense in the OTAs and everything that is being reported on the team, thre should be a marked and positive difference in the the offensive scheme and the way the Bills approach the game on that side of the ball. People are being critical of Schonert, but from what I can see, the offense is in a much better place right now under this scheme, which seems much more suited to their strengths, than to the one SF had in place. We weren't built for an all out aerial assault last year and the team should have known that before hiring a guy who really didn't know how to run an offense that did anything else. That led to seriously predictability. Schonert's scheme is much better suited to the Bills' strengths and that should show in terms of offensive production and points scored.

You've got to be joking. They have yet to play even 1 preseason down. How can you make any assessment? Talk (from the Bills and the media) is cheap and that's all we have thus far. Now I'd agree the only way is up after last year, but they've got to show us something first. Until then, it's all BS.

You've got to be joking. They have yet to play even 1 preseason down. How can you make any assessment? Talk (from the Bills and the media) is cheap and that's all we have thus far. Now I'd agree the only way is up after last year, but they've got to show us something first. Until then, it's all BSconjecture.

You've got to be joking. They have yet to play even 1 preseason down. How can you make any assessment? Talk (from the Bills and the media) is cheap and that's all we have thus far. Now I'd agree the only way is up after last year, but they've got to show us something first. Until then, it's all BS.

Gotta love how great teams look in the off-season. :lol:

Perhaps you have forgotten how terrible this team looked all last offseason and how disorganized the offense was? I haven't. This year they look much better at this point than they ever did last year. And no, it isn't what I've heard. Smart people don't trust hearsay. I go by what I have seen of the OTAs and looking back at where the team was last year at this time. There's a significant difference in how the offense was functioning.

And you are so quick to dismiss any positive chance the offense has. Yet you have no basis for your assessment either. You shouldn't throw stones when you live in a glass house. I think that rule is appropriate. I am at least basing my positive assessment on what I have seen. You are just dismissive based on nothing, except your well known hatred for Jauron, which you have never actually substantiated either. So be as dismissive as you like, but try to do so with some actual basis as opposed to just rampant negativity.

This is true...... They weren't pleased with the offense in last years ota's.......

Actually, I recall a much different story from last year's OTA's. I'm pretty sure I remember John Clayton doing a story from Bills camp where he stated that JP looked razor sharp running the offense. I specifically remember that he said JP was hitting his receivers in stride and that he didn't remember seeing a single pass hit the ground. After hearing his report I was so incredibly excited about the offense the Bills would be running and I had high hopes for the playoffs (we all know how that turned out). As for this year, I have heard mixed reports about Trent Edwards. I've read where he has had good days and bad days. Sharp passes and good decisions wrapped around interceptions and bad decisions. This is to be expected with the installation of a new offensive with new plays, new philosophies, and a brand new offensive coordinator. Knowing what I know about how difficult it is to change an offense in one offseason, I expect Buffalo to start out slowly right out of the gates and then hopefully things start humming along 4-5 days into the season. I know we all want Buffalo to start off red hot this season, but that may not be realistic. It certainly is a possibility, but I'm trying not to wear my rose colored glasses this season.

Go Bills!

Actually, I recall a much different story from last year's OTA's. I'm pretty sure I remember John Clayton doing a story from Bills camp where he stated that JP looked razor sharp running the offense. I specifically remember that he said JP was hitting his receivers in stride and that he didn't remember seeing a single pass hit the ground. After hearing his report I was so incredibly excited about the offense the Bills would be running and I had high hopes for the playoffs (we all know how that turned out). As for this year, I have heard mixed reports about Trent Edwards. I've read where he has had good days and bad days. Sharp passes and good decisions wrapped around interceptions and bad decisions. This is to be expected with the installation of a new offensive with new plays, new philosophies, and a brand new offensive coordinator. Knowing what I know about how difficult it is to change an offense in one offseason, I expect Buffalo to start out slowly right out of the gates and then hopefully things start humming along 4-5 days into the season. I know we all want Buffalo to start off red hot this season, but that may not be realistic. It certainly is a possibility, but I'm trying not to wear my rose colored glasses this season.

Go Bills!

Good post.

Go Bills!

I remember during Bills camp last year Peter King said that Losman clearly looked better than Rothlesberger. I forget who ended up having a better season.

I remember during Bills camp last year Peter King said that Losman clearly looked better than Rothlesberger. I forget who ended up having a better season.

Exactly! How things 'look' in the off season is not usually a good indication of how things will turn out during the regular season. I also remember JP making several mistakes and throws into the dirt during preseason and this really got me wondering how well he had really progressed following the previous season. Also, though Edwards looked very good in pre season action, I knew it was against 3rd and 4th stringers and I didn't read too much into it.

All in all it doesn't matter what we think about JP and Edwards. We could sit here and debate their strengths and weaknesses all day long. I backed JP 100% when he was the starter and now that Edwards is the starter, I will show him the same support. Let's hope that no matter who the starter is game one of the season, the starter week 16 will also be the starter going into the playoffs and we will have ourselves a franchise QB in the making. If not, it will be time to start the QB draft process again.....

Go Bills!

If I recall I went to the pro bowl the other to the toilet bowl.

Hope springs eternal from BS! :lol:

At this point everything is a puff-piece and more hype than anything else. I've been hearing for years now, through both the Donahoe and Levy eras that things will be better. And every year there's a let down. Schonert's a rookie OC, and his boasts remind me of of Gregg Williams' speeches.

The pre-season is a time when every team has hope of being a winner. Frankly, I'll believe the team when I see it on the field, and that won't be for another 2 months.

If I recall 1 went to the pro bowl the other to the toilet bowl.

"We weren't built for an all out aerial assault last year and the team should have known that before hiring a guy who really didn't know how to run an offense that did anything else. "

Care to explain this little nugget? Steve Fairchild was perhaps the most conservative non-aerial offensive coordinators I've ever witnessed in 2007. They did NOT hire him before last year. He was actually a good playcaller in the second half of 2006 and he was NOT responsible for the "aerial assault" playcalling in St. Louis. That was Mike Martz.

What you said there made no sense at all.

If I recall BUFFALOTONE went to the pro bowl the other to the toilet bowl.

At this point everything is a puff-piece and more hype than anything else. I've been hearing for years now, through both the Donahoe and Levy eras that things will be better. And every year there's a let down. Schonert's a rookie OC, and his boasts remind me of of Gregg Williams' speeches.

The pre-season is a time when every team has hope of being a winner. Frankly, I'll believe the team when I see it on the field, and that won't be for another 2 months.

Yup. Everybody's undefeated until Kickoff Weekend.

Good post BillsVet. I'm right there with ya and agree 100%. While I am usually more a glass is half full kind of guy, years and years of being let down by the Bills is slowly starting to change the way I head into this years season. Unlike last year when I fully expected a strong playoff run, this year I am doing my best to have zero expectations for anything regarding this team. If they play well and make the playoffs, great! If they play poorly and look like a team that is still clearly rebuilding, fine, at least I didn't set my self up for disappointment again. I'll never forget how pumped up I got after listening to Clayton hype up JP last offseason. It's comparable to how great I felt after the Bills started off 2-0 with crushing defeats against the Pats and the Jags, only to get beat by Miami and blown out @ KC a few weeks later. The one thing that the Bills have lacked on a consistent basis over the last 5 years has been any kind of a rhythm in the passing game. Hopefully 3rd down conversions will be more plentiful this season, last season was like trying to pass a bill thru Congress.

Anyways, I feel like I am going all over the place with this post and I apologize for that. I'm so excited for the season to start that I felt the need to post. Normally I just read and enjoy all the posts without actually contributing myself. And I must be honest, though I'm trying not to be hopefully about this season, chances are, because I am a Bills fan, I will believe beyond all hope that the Bills WILL make the playoffs until they are finally mathematically eliminated from the chase.

Keep heart Buffalo fans. We are the best fans in the world!