2009 Draft

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first season in a long while when I haven't felt like we still have big holes and we need to hide players/positions with our scheme, or pray that rookies or 2nd hand free agents make a huge splash. Last year it was all about hoping that McCargo and Williams could unseat Triplett and dominate, and it was also about hoping that Peerless would actually do something, Lynch wasn't a bust, and that Poz could actually learn fast enough.

This year, the only position where I have a serious question is TE. We absolutely need Royal or "good ole shoe"(beans :thumbdown: ) to step up. I also think that Fowler will benefit from playing with the same guys again this year, and that continuity will play a large factor in getting things going, so I am not as worried as I was about him.

If everything pans out, I think next year's draft priorities barring serious injuries and in order are:

OL-->possible replacement/backup that can learn for a year or two, for Fowler if there's a center rated high enough and our draft pick is in the right place to take him. I'd take this as our #1.

TE-->depends on a lot so it's hard to say, I'd move this to first if we clearly needed it again, rating of player, and draft spot made it make sense.

DT/DE-->depends on where we draft and how well the guys we have play this year

OL-->get some depth, if for nothing else than to give us peace of mind

QB-->we will need a replacement for JP and somebody who can come in and start, not merely carry the clipboard

WR-->depends on whether we re-sign Evans, also depends on whether Josh Reed(can't believe I am saying this) finally steps up as a true #2 WR with #1 potential, and/or Hardy shows his ability

But really, I'm fairly certain that we will be looking at who's the best available for most of our picks next year, rather than frantically filling holes. I also think we will see some of our later picks on the practice squad next year, rather than coming in as starters. Hell, that's a probability this year, and that's pretty encouraging...for us, not them. <_<

Also, keep in mind that the top 10 teams have been drafting O line/D line like crazy recently. I don't expect us to be that bad = probably picking someplace in the low/mid 20's, and by that time, you are looking at the 5th best LT, 3rd best guards, 5th best DE, and 4th best DT. I will never understand why someone would be happy with 5/6th best at one position, when they could have gotten the #1 guy at another.

This is the problem: that guy will probably go in the top ten. I don't think we will be picking in the top ten, or the top 20 for that matter. So do we trade up?

It's too early to say, but if we do have a good year and are picking low, and he has a good year and is projected to go high, I would have no problem trading up for him. Just for the sake of conversation, how much would it cost to move from about 24th to 10th?

I was thinking that same thing when I made it. :thumbdown:

OK well for Bill in NYC, I meant we should draft this guy.............

That kid is SICK!!!

GET HIM!!!

It's too early to say, but if we do have a good year and are picking low, and he has a good year and is projected to go high, I would have no problem trading up for him. Just for the sake of conversation, how much would it cost to move from about 24th to 10th?

It would probably require something like our 1st, 2nd, and next year's 2nd as well, based on this draft chart.

14 spots is no joke, especially moving into the top 10.

Edit: However, the 2nd 2nd(tee hee) would probably be conditional. It might be a third based on how well the kid plays or where we are drafting that next year.

I can understand sphere-o-beer falling for it, but Lori? This is a sad, sad day.

I was preoccupied. A moment of weakness. Something like that. Yeah, that's it.

We're on the brink of an exciting season. We've beefed up the defense. We've added some weapons on the offense. Lets talk about that, instead of worrying about the draft 10 months from now, especially when we have no idea what this team will look like then.

I've got an idea. Let's talk about what we want to. If you don't like it, why don't you start a thread about something you would like to talk about instead of relentlessly bashing other posters. Hate the losing, not the fans.

I've got an idea. Let's talk about what we want to. If you don't like it, why don't you start a thread about something you would like to talk about instead of relentlessly bashing other posters. Hate the losing, not the fans.

I'll second that one. :thumbdown:

<_< i dont hate Bill at all. We have a "healthy" debate ongoing for a few years now, which i actually enjoy. :pirate:

As for the fans, most of them are alright. i do question the allegiance of some "fans" (ie-the poster directly above me)

<_< i dont hate Bill at all. We have a "healthy" debate ongoing for a few years now, which i actually enjoy. :pirate:

Of course you enjoy it, as he rubs you down and relentlessly sucks up to you in the midst of your "debates" telling you how smart you are. ;) Does that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

As for the fans, most of them are alright. i do question the allegiance of some "fans" (ie-the poster directly above me)

... and when, BADOL, arguably the best poster on this board, has an issue with your approach, perhaps you ought to look in the mirror for a change.

... and when, BADOL, arguably the best poster on this board, has an issue with your approach, perhaps you ought to look in the mirror for a change.

got it. i should be more like you 2 and simply whine/complain about everything the Bills do.

got it. i should be more like you 2 and simply whine/complain about everything the Bills do.

Or, just be objective and call it as you see it.

Contrary to what you believe, it doesn't make you any less of a fan -- it just means you're passionate about the product and have a different opinion on how it should be built.

Of course you enjoy it, as he rubs you down and relentlessly sucks up to you in the midst of your "debates" telling you how smart you are. :pirate: Does that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Come on Dog Man. We differ on a few key Bills topics. Should I hate the kid? He is smart, if also a bit cantankerous.

Or, just be objective and call it as you see it.

Contrary to what you believe, it doesn't make you any less of a fan -- it just means you're passionate about the product and have a different opinion on how it should be built.

difference of opinion is one thing. But theres something to be said when ones posts/opinions throughout the years become a pattern of negativity towards anything and everything on the supposed home team. I've run into people like that at the stadium as well as on here, and frankly, i wonder, if the team makes that person so miserable, why are they bothering to root for them?