As God is my witness . . .

Max Fischer

... I thought turkeys could fly.

Going the other way... a part of me still gets surprised when a duck takes off and starts flying. I always just see them waddling around and I get used to them just walking everywhere.

They can. Just for a short distance though....

And for that short distance they sure make a whole helluva lot o' noise too!

They don't fly, they flop.

Many years ago when I still went deer hunting back home with my dad and uncles, I must have rousted one from it's cover. When that thing "tried" to take off, it sounded like a fuggin bull mastif falling out of a tree. Made all kinds of racket, and scared the bejesus out of me.

Flop is a good word to use to describe what they try to do.

And for that short distance they sure make a whole helluva lot o' noise too!

Many years ago when I still went deer hunting back home with my dad and uncles, I must have rousted one from it's cover. When that thing "tried" to take off, it sounded like a fuggin bull mastif falling out of a tree. Made all kinds of racket, and scared the bejesus out of me.

Flop is a good word to use to describe what they try to do.

you killed Bambi! :)

you killed Bambi! :)

Oh hellllllll no, I haven't shot at a deer since there was a Clinton in office dude and haven't actually killed one since George the First. Any resemblence between a hunter and me is strictly coincidence.

I once had a turkey fly over my car to get across a two lane road. I was expecting it to come through my windshield, but it made it over without contact.

same here! I was driving on a rural road and it saw the turkey attempting to take off over the road and thought I had plenty of time. It was one of the most ungraceful takeoffs I have ever seen, but that turkey just cleared my car, and it took like what seemed like 10+ seconds trying to get airborn. It is amazing those things can fly- they are so large. Pretty wild to see