GPS Question

TSNBDSC

... Text to Speech and Voice Guidance ... what's the difference ?!!!! ... mostly all TomToms have Voice Guidance but only a few have Text to Speech also ... thanks to the powers that be for exposure on the big board and all those who chime in ... tom

... Text to Speech and Voice Guidance ... what's the difference ?!!!! ... mostly all TomToms have Voice Guidance but only a few have Text to Speech also ... thanks to the powers that be for exposure on the big board and all those who chime in ... tom

This will probably get moved to the OTW or Consumer Digest forums, but check out this LINK for a decent explanation.

There's also a pretty good thread with a lot of GPS resources pinned in the Consumer Digest forum.

This will probably get moved to the OTW or Consumer Digest forums, but check out this LINK for a decent explanation.

There's also a pretty good thread with a lot of GPS resources pinned in the Consumer Digest forum.

... nice site, thanks ! ... wondering if you can turn off text to speech ? ...

Voice guidance: "In 300 ft turn left"

Text to Speech: "In 300 ft turn left onto William St"

I went with text to speech and am glad I did. I had a business trip to NYC, Long Island, and NJ in the same week. There were so many unfamiliar streets, it was nice to hear the name of the street.

All GPS will show you the name of the street on the screen, but I really do like to hear the street names.

No idea if you can turn it off.

On a side note, I just got an email from Garmin advertising their 2009 maps update - on sale now for $70. We paid $120 for the whole unit, so I think I'm going to pass on the update for now...

No idea if you can turn it off.

On a side note, I just got an email from Garmin advertising their 2009 maps update - on sale now for $70. We paid $120 for the whole unit, so I think I'm going to pass on the update for now...

On my Magellan 4250, you have a mute button. Ilike the 4250, but its got some quirks to it. I find the traffic feature to absolutely useless. Magellan uses Navteg(sp) for that, so if the traffic piece is important, look for a GPS that has a different traffic service than that. It is just way to slow to change, so it wants to take you in detours when not neccasary etc.

Voice guidance: "In 300 ft turn left"

Text to Speech: "In 300 ft turn left onto William St"

I went with text to speech and am glad I did. I had a business trip to NYC, Long Island, and NJ in the same week. There were so many unfamiliar streets, it was nice to hear the name of the street.

All GPS will show you the name of the street on the screen, but I really do like to hear the street names.

Yes. In NYC Houston is HOUSE-Ton, not Huse-ton and Greenwich is Grenn-ich, not Green-witch.

If you bought it in the last few months, try calling them and see if they'll give you the update for free/discount price. Some people have reported success doing that.

If you bought it in the last few months, try calling them and see if they'll give you the update for free/discount price. Some people have reported success doing that.

Thanks for the heads-up. It was actually a Christmas present, so I doubt they'll let give me a discount seeing as it was bought on Black Friday, but I'll give it a shot.

While this is still on the main board, I'll pose this question - does anyone know how to send feedback to Garmin or other GPS companies regarding the routing the GPS uses? I have seen the same issue pop up over and over again here in the area east of Cleveland, and would like to let them know so (hopefully) someone will look at it and see if it can be fixed in the next software update...

I bought my girlfriend a Tom Tom One for christmas and I have used it a few times, and i don't find that telling me the street name would have really helped that much more. Its a nice feature, but not a thing that would make me buy one or the other. Also Tom Tom advertises that they can give you up to date traffic reports, but thats only a feature in Europe right now, and is not here in North America yet (or last time I heard it isn't)

The Tom Tom is a great unit, and affordable

The difference is that one will only tell you to turn left in a certain distance, the other will tell you the distance and the street name.