Where the Hell is Matt?

D_House

The only thing that sucks about this is that as much as this guy seems like a humanitarian looking to be the best human ever, he clearly is uber-rich through way of hand-me-down money. No one can afford to travel to this many areas of the word; and the ones who actually could afford it would have jobs far too important to allow for months off to travel the world.

The only thing that sucks about this is that as much as this guy seems like a humanitarian looking to be the best human ever, he clearly is uber-rich through way of hand-me-down money. No one can afford to travel to this many areas of the word; and the ones who actually could afford it would have jobs far too important to allow for months off to travel the world.

Dear Carl Marx, take your class warfare elsewhere.

The response to the first video brought Matt to the attention of the nice people at Stride gum. They asked Matt if he'd be interested in taking another trip around the world to make a new video. Matt asked if they'd be paying for it. They said yes. Matt thought this sounded like another very good idea.

In 2006, Matt took a 6 month trip through 39 countries on all 7 continents. In that time, he danced a great deal.

The second video made Matt even more quasi-famous. In fact, for a brief period in July, he was semi-famous.

Things settled down again, and then in 2007 Matt went back to Stride with another idea. He realized his bad dancing wasn't actually all that interesting, and that other people were much better at being bad at it. He showed them his inbox, which, as a result of his semi-famousness, was overflowing with emails from all over the planet. He told them he wanted to travel around the world one more time and invite the people who'd written him to come out and dance too.

not true at all. i spent almost a full year travelling.

it just depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice your American, consumer lifestyle.

its amazing how much extra play-money you can have when you arent paying for the big screen tv and the cable bill and the car payment and gas and that new video game console and etc. etc. etc.

granted, it is much more expensive to travel now than it was even 5-6 years ago. but its definitely possible if it is what you want to do.

Traveling the world is not unusual at all for Euros and Assuies in their 20s. That's what they do instead of jumping into the corporate world like us. You can go a long way on a little money if you want to.

It looks like he's from Westport, CT, so he certainly wasn't starving as a kid, but nothing to indicate anywhere near 'uber-rich'.

Traveling the world is not unusual at all for Euros and Assuies in their 20s. That's what they do instead of jumping into the corporate world like us. You can go a long way on a little money if you want to.

It looks like he's from Westport, CT, so he certainly wasn't starving as a kid, but nothing to indicate anywhere near 'uber-rich'.

That's valid.

I understand it would be easy without car payments, insurance, etc, etc, etc. The hard part for me to see was how you can just drop all those things. I guess it's easier if you make these trips before you ever buy a house, a car, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't mean to be too rough on the guy -- still a very cool video and idea.

there is a 9 minute interview with him on youtube where he explains how and why he did it, i give him credit, it was something he wanted to do and he did it...he seems fairly down to earth to me

That's valid.

I understand it would be easy without car payments, insurance, etc, etc, etc. The hard part for me to see was how you can just drop all those things. I guess it's easier if you make these trips before you ever buy a house, a car, etc, etc, etc.

I didn't mean to be too rough on the guy -- still a very cool video and idea.

I agree with Dr Dank and KD. What you do with your money is all your business. Most Americans love their possessions- and prefer to spend their money on cars and toys. We are the most materialistic society in the world. Traveling is embedded in Aussie culture, and Europe and South Africa. Traveling is one of the best things you can do in life IMO. Most every American has the means. Sell your car. Save money. Get a second job. It is all a question of desire to travel. And as far as costs go- 2 pennies will buy you a meal in parts of India. You will get whacked for prices in your Paris' and London's- just like you would in NYC. But go off the beaten path and you will find traveling can be quite affordable

I almost posted this last week - it is incredible.

The music and editing is really impressive.

go buy the book "the 4 hour work week" today. You'll love it. That goes for all of you.