Pete Prisco Ranks his Top 50 in the NFL

H2o

Only one Bill makes the top 50 and it's Jason Peters at #27.

link: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10877567

No Marshawn, no Crowell, no Stroud, no Evans, and I don't think there's anyone else I could mention from our team. One thing is certain and that is that Peters could get BIG MONEY somewhere else. I think our front office needs to re-affirm to this guy that we intend to work out a new deal, just in due time. If he sours on our franchise then we will end up losing one of the top LT's in the NFL and they are hard to come by.

No Marshawn, no Crowell, no Stroud, no Evans, and I don't think there's anyone else I could mention from our team. One thing is certain and that is that Peters could get BIG MONEY somewhere else. I think our front office needs to re-affirm to this guy that we intend to work out a new deal, just in due time. If he sours on our franchise then we will end up losing one of the top LT's in the NFL and they are hard to come by.

See also All-Star berths. Almost every club gets at least one pet on the head. It's good business...

Cash to cap! Can the team afford it?

He would undoubtedly have to get more than Dockery by a margin. Dockery got 7 years $49M, $18.5 guaranteed, $13M SB.

So presumably Peters would have to get 6 years, $70M+, $20M+ guaranteed, with $15M+ being in SB.

Will that happen?

What a useless list.

Like most lists written in the tumbleweeds period of the offseason, it will look foolish at this time next season. I'm not sure why they bother. Actually, I do. They do it for clicks. Yawn.

What a useless list.

Like most lists written in the tumbleweeds period of the offseason, it will look foolish at this time next season. I'm not sure why they bother. Actually, I do. They do it for clicks. Yawn.

They're trying to whet NFL fans' appetites during this period of lull from the end of the draft to the start of camp.

Making these lists is no easy task. Kudos to the writers for giving it a shot, as they can never win and there will always be debates over their selections.

Personally I think it's a decent list.

Peters is definately the only guy from our team who deserves a spot on that list anyway.

They're trying to whet NFL fans' appetites during this period of lull from the end of the draft to the start of camp.

Making these lists is no easy task. Kudos to the writers for giving it a shot, as they can never win and there will always be debates over their selections.

Personally I think it's a decent list.

Peters is definately the only guy from our team who deserves a spot on that list anyway.

Meh...

Palmer is overrated at 8, and the only reason Allen is at 12 is sack numbers - that guy is not a top 40 run stopper. Woodson is overrated at 18, and if Steven Jackson is the 33rd best player in the NFL, then I'm the pope. And the fact that they have Winslow at 44 is a joke - sure, if he hadn't nearly destroyed his body, he'd probably justify a higher ranking. But look at his career production - one good year and you want to put him at the top of the game? Please. And Welker is only there because Brady was throwing to him. Would he be considered a top fifty NFL player if he were still a dolphin? Not a chance.

This list reads like a popularity/hype meter.

You couldn't possibly dream that Crowell is in the top 50 in the league could you? Maybe he was the best linebacker on the Bills last year but that's not saying much given who played.

I think Peters is great, but does anyone else think the hype is a little much? Peters is like a self-fulfilling prophesy. These pundits decided largely before seeing him play that he was going to be a stud LT, and then that's all we've been hearing for a year plus ("keep your eye on Peters; he's a great one," says every CBS color commentator). Yeah, Peters is solid. But one of the top-27 players in the league? Not so sure about that.

I think Peters is great, but does anyone else think the hype is a little much? Peters is like a self-fulfilling prophesy. These pundits decided largely before seeing him play that he was going to be a stud LT, and then that's all we've been hearing for a year plus ("keep your eye on Peters; he's a great one," says every CBS color commentator). Yeah, Peters is solid. But one of the top-27 players in the league? Not so sure about that.

I disagree. Several coaches were talking about Peters' talent and ability during the '06 season. They saw the raw talent and unlimited potential. The man is huge and moves really well. He made the pro bowl for a reason.

You have to take it for what it is. And what it is, is that Peters is 26, with one full season at LT, and played really well, earning a pro bowl ballot. In the eyes of football analysts this typically translates into someone who has only scratched the surface of his potential and ability.

Meh...

Palmer is overrated at 8, and the only reason Allen is at 12 is sack numbers - that guy is not a top 40 run stopper. Woodson is overrated at 18, and if Steven Jackson is the 33rd best player in the NFL, then I'm the pope. And the fact that they have Winslow at 44 is a joke - sure, if he hadn't nearly destroyed his body, he'd probably justify a higher ranking. But look at his career production - one good year and you want to put him at the top of the game? Please. And Welker is only there because Brady was throwing to him. Would he be considered a top fifty NFL player if he were still a dolphin? Not a chance.

This list reads like a popularity/hype meter.

Agreed re Palmer. Since PGH's von Oelhofen hit the turf then lifted up his elbow into Palmer's left knee in '05, he's not the same. He still sees the field, can move in the pocket, can rifle the ball, but throws high on longer passes. Not banana, high arc passes - but high. He can't plant and lever off the left leg like he used to.

Agreed re Palmer. Since PGH's von Oelhofen hit the turf then lifted up his elbow into Palmer's left knee in '05, he's not the same. He still sees the field, can move in the pocket, can rifle the ball, but throws high on longer passes. Not banana, high arc passes - but high. He can't plant and lever off the left leg like he used to.

He can't or maybe it's because he's scared if he does then someone will....? And no, I don't really believe that anyone else on our team should be on this list right now. We have alot of solid players, but no real "superstar" players at the moment. We have guys with the "superstar potential", but no one who fits the bill.

He can't or maybe it's because he's scared if he does then someone will....? And no, I don't really believe that anyone else on our team should be on this list right now. We have alot of solid players, but no real "superstar" players at the moment. We have guys with the "superstar potential", but no one who fits the bill.

I don't think Palmer is scared. I assume that's speculation on your part. The man came back from a terrible injury, had donor ligaments implanted, and rigorously rehabilitated himself.

His team went out and purchased the contracts of 2 halfway decent vets just in case, and worked both heavily during that pre-season.

I disagree. Several coaches were talking about Peters' talent and ability during the '06 season. They saw the raw talent and unlimited potential. The man is huge and moves really well. He made the pro bowl for a reason.

You have to take it for what it is. And what it is, is that Peters is 26, with one full season at LT, and played really well, earning a pro bowl ballot. In the eyes of football analysts this typically translates into someone who has only scratched the surface of his potential and ability.

This is sort of my point. McNally et al gushed over his raw talent, which somehow made it into the commentators' talking points, and which probably largely resulted in him being selected to the pro bowl.

I just question if Peters has been overhyped. Of course, there have been many other NFL players who have been overhyped--e.g., like Adam Archuletta (before people realized 5 years later how bad he was).

This is sort of my point. McNally et al gushed over his raw talent, which somehow made it into the commentators' talking points, and which probably largely resulted in him being selected to the pro bowl.

I just question if Peters has been overhyped. Of course, there have been many other NFL players who have been overhyped--e.g., like Adam Archuletta (before people realized 5 years later how bad he was).

I'd like to see him drop the right elbow and arm a bit during pass protection. Protect the ribcage.

The list seems more like a popularity contest than a talent evaluator. That being said. I don't think I would add anyone else on our team to the list. We have several guys I would put in top 5 at their position, but 22 real positions (I don't count ST), 50 players total, doesnt really leave a lot of room for guys beyond 3 at their position.