Discuss Veep candidates

I was having a discussion about possible McCain running mates and the best choice I could come up with was Mike Bloomberg. I am no fan of Bloomberg but here's why I think he could be a great chocie for McCain...

1- The economy - Bloomberg, but virtue of his business success and his success, fiscally as mayor of NYC, would be perceived as very strong on economic issues, which, IMHO, will be the single deciding issue this fall as the economy further tanks.

2- New York - McCain currently polls pretty strong upstate and in the suburbs, he is atrocious in the city. If he could pull 30% in the city, the state is in play. Then McCain could be the aggressor, taking the fight to Obama in traditional Dem strongholds and not play strictly defense in VA, GA and NC.

3- Fundraising - McCain lags behind Obama in fundraising and with Obama opting out of public funding, McCain could get massively outspent. Enter multi-billionaire who has stated in the past he will spend whatever it takes to win an election. Advantage: McCain.

4- The Jewish vote - Bloomberg would be instrumental in bringing in the Jewish vote for McCain, significant in CT, NY, NJ and FL. The Jewish vote, IMHO, is itching for a reason to ditch Obama, Bloomberg could be it.

5- The Religious Right - The conversation I had was with a member of the religious right who said that their base was totally demoralized that they did not get a pro-life candidate and have to settle for McCain. He was adamant that the VP choice wouldn't matter and many of the traditional religious right plans to stay home for this election. If so, the GOP is in some trouble...why not carve out some new ground.

These are just my thoughts, feel free to jump in and discuss/criticize, but I think Bloomberg would be a very inspired choice for VP and go a long way toward helping McCain win in November.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veep choices are, quite frankly, not that important. The media tends to overstate the VP choice in order to give them something to talk about during the summer months.

I think the only really important thing that McCain does with his VP pick is that he doesn't choose someone who is a Bushie. McCain has, so far, sufficiently convinced independents that he is not simply an extension of Bush. He needs to make sure he doesn't undue his progress.

That being said, for the exercise in mental masturbation, I'll chime in on Bloomberg:

First off, let me preface this by saying that I find it unlikely Bloomberg would accept the VP slot on McCain's ticket, given his past statements, though it is probable he's not being entirely honest.

Bloomberg would be a bad choice for McCain for a number of reasons:

1.) There is no way he could deliver his home state for McCain.

2.) I don't believe that, even with the Jewish vote, McCain would win CT or NJ either.

3.) Bloomberg would reignite and possibly cause the base's suspicion of McCain's conservative credentials to explode. I'm sure McCain is trying to make them forget about it, and make the other side appear so bad they'll have to turn up their nose and vote for him. Bloomberg would only hurt that cause.

4.) Way too many of Bloomberg's policies aren't in line with McCain's.

5.) McCain's spending is capped at $84 mil, extra money won't make a difference.

Personally, I'd like to see him nominate Bobby Jindal. From what I know about him and after hearing a few interviews with him, he seems like an incredibly sharp man. He clearly is a rising star in the party, but I don't know tactically if he would help or hinder JM in the election.

He seems to be the Republican version of Obama. We'll see what happens...

It will be Charlie Christ. McCain cannot even hope to win the election without Florida, and without Christ he has no shot. Of course, even with Christ, who is very popular in Florida, he probably still can't win in the Sunshine State...just not a good year to be a Republican, particularly if you are as unpopular with your own base as RINO McCain.

I'm not sure about Christ, there's some rumors floating around about him that I won't repeat, but let's just say it wouldn't make him a favorite of Republicans.

Yeah, the gay thing...while that is probably true, he has taken a hot rich babe from Manhattan to at least pose as his woman, and word is he will be marrying her to make the national stage to quell those fudgey rumors.

The name that comes up the most among the political talking heads is Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota. He's a Republican governor in a traditionally Democrat state, and he has connections with the evangelicals.

I think he's the most likely choice. Pawlenty could help McCain in the upper Midwest, where McCain probably needs the most help. In any event, I would expect that his choice will lean pretty sharply to the conservative side.

Another strong possibility seems to be Fred Thompson, who has suddenly reappeared in the last couple of weeks.

2.) I don't believe that, even with the Jewish vote, McCain would win CT or NJ either.

He'd make no impact. 80% of CT residents outside of Fairfield County couldn't pick Bloomberg out of a lineup. And there aren't that many Jews here anyway. Probably the same in Jersey once you get South or West.

Yeah, the gay thing...while that is probably true, he has taken a hot rich babe from Manhattan to at least pose as his woman, and word is he will be marrying her to make the national stage to quell those fudgey rumors.

You know there's going to be alot of jokes already about the convention being in Minnesota, the infamous site of the Larry Craig wide stance.

You know there's going to be alot of jokes already about the convention being in Minnesota, the infamous site of the Larry Craig wide stance.

Maybe they'll give away those "wide stance bobbleheads" or "bobblefeet" as the case may be...

Personally, I'd like to see him nominate Bobby Jindal. From what I know about him and after hearing a few interviews with him, he seems like an incredibly sharp man. He clearly is a rising star in the party, but I don't know tactically if he would help or hinder JM in the election.

He seems to be the Republican version of Obama. We'll see what happens...

He clearly looks to be the best choice, which is why I strongly doubt he has any chance.

He clearly looks to be the best choice, which is why I strongly doubt he has any chance.

From what i've heard and readen about Jindal he looks very conservative and i do think those elections will be won convincing (and making vote) moderates... Bloomberg looks like a better candidate to win that electorate...