Discuss Veep candidates

It's funny to me how McCain has been painted as a right wing conservative when the reality is he is the most center leaning republican candidate fielded in a long time.

As far as Blomberg is concerned- I have to agree w/ Blzrul- he is a RINO and were McCain to name his it would be the end of the contest. If you think conservatives are unhappy with their candidate now, add him to the mix and it's OVER. His anti-gun stance alone would kiil McCain's chances.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i've heard and readen about Jindal he looks very conservative and i do think those elections will be won convincing (and making vote) moderates... Bloomberg looks like a better candidate to win that electorate...

I disagree. McCain will lose badly because he lacks passionate support from the GOP base. Low voter turnout from his own party will kill him.

Maybe but Jindal looks frightning from a moderate's voter point of view! But maybe you're right about Bloomberg and he may be too far from the republican base to help Mc Cain...

I did not know much about Pawlenty but from what i've seen on several sites he has an intersting profile...

From what i've heard and readen about Jindal he looks very conservative and i do think those elections will be won convincing (and making vote) moderates... Bloomberg looks like a better candidate to win that electorate...

VP choices historically don't convince many people to vote for a Presidential candidate.

Jack Kemp convinced me to vote for Dole instead of Harry Brown.

Tho it wasn't really Dole I was voting for :P

Well, you're a Bills fan. :lol:

Olivier: I think that as long as someone isn't bat-sh-- insane crazy, they won't have much of an effect on the overall electorate. Jindal's positions wouldn't be considered "bat-sh-- insane crazy", I don't think.

yes but i think they can convince people NOT to vote for a presidential candidate especially if your VP choice looks a little "extreme"...

That's true, but I don't think that applies to Jindal at all. He's in line with most Republican voters and, as such, won't be offensive to the average moderate. In fact, I think his views would likely be fairly popular among rural and suburban voters in the south, midwest and plains states. That said, I don't think he'll be McCain's choice due to his age and lack of experience. If he chose Jindal, it would negate his ability to attack Obama for the same reason.

It's funny to me how McCain has been painted as a right wing conservative when the reality is he is the most center leaning republican candidate fielded in a long time.

As far as Blomberg is concerned- I have to agree w/ Blzrul- he is a RINO and were McCain to name his it would be the end of the contest. If you think conservatives are unhappy with their candidate now, add him to the mix and it's OVER. His anti-gun stance alone would kiil McCain's chances.

Agreed. Bloomberg would be a horrible choice. If McCain wants to have a shot at winning this election, he can't afford to further alienate his conservative base. He'll have to choose someone further to the political right than he is, and as you say, that really shouldn't be a problem given McCain's longstanding reputation as a moderate.

Is he a republican? Excuse my ignorance of his politics. I know how important he is in the financial world.

No, he's not a Republican, and I'm shocked it took this long for it to be posted. Years ago Bloomberg was a Democrat. He became a Republican because it was an easier path to the Mayor's office. After he was re-elected he began to consider a Presidential run as an independent and quit the Republican party. So he's a former Democrat, a former Republican & currently an independent.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200706u/third-parties