Jauron

I hear all the time that one of Dick jauron's best strengths is that he gets the players to show up every week. Shouldn't that be an expectation???? I dont get how that is a strength of a coach. I want a guy who can coach a damn football game. If he can get us winning, the guys will want to play on their own.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I dont get why people think its really supporting a coach when they say that he gets a lot out of his players. Every coach of a decent team does. Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick dont get credit for that, simply because they can figure out how to move the ball and stop the other team from moving the ball. Jauron should learn how to do those kinds of things.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear all the time that one of Dick jauron's best strengths is that he gets the players to show up every week. Shouldn't that be an expectation???? I dont get how that is a strength of a coach. I want a guy who can coach a damn football game. If he can get us winning, the guys will want to play on their own.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that I dont get why people think its really supporting a coach when they say that he gets a lot out of his players. Every coach of a decent team does. Tony Dungy and Bill Belichick dont get credit for that, simply because they can figure out how to move the ball and stop the other team from moving the ball. Jauron should learn how to do those kinds of things.

I think what they mean is that he gets more out of less. He went 13-3 with Jim Miller, A-Train, and Marty Booker, not exactly the Dallas Triplets. Give him a good QB and he'll make the playoffs every year.

I think what they mean is that he gets more out of less. He went 13-3 with Jim Miller, A-Train, and Marty Booker, not exactly the Dallas Triplets. Give him a good QB and he'll make the playoffs every year.

And another thing was the production he got from his 3rd and 4th stringers when the chips were down.

He's a good coach, he just needs a QB. Hopefully Trent will develop this season into a solid starter.

There are quite a few fans here that think Trent Edwards is a good QB. In fact, the finger pointing often gets directed to injuries on the defense, Steve Fairchild, and no WR/TE talent beside LE. Yet you seem to be saying DJ would coach a perennial playoff team with a good QB and 21 other stiffs. So, which way is it?

For the past 2 years the bills are 1-5 in their first 3 games of the season. They haven't looked to me like a team ready to compete early on. Might be the country club camp and pre-season doesn't get the players to the needed intensity level soon enough. Any thoughts about the playoffs for the Bills will depend a lot on the first few games this year IMO. They aren't good enough to climb out of a deep hole. Coaching staff needs to have this team ready to play their best from the opening week.

For the past 2 years the bills are 1-5 in their first 3 games of the season. They haven't looked to me like a team ready to compete early on. Might be the country club camp and pre-season doesn't get the players to the needed intensity level soon enough. Any thoughts about the playoffs for the Bills will depend a lot on the first few games this year IMO. They aren't good enough to climb out of a deep hole. Coaching staff needs to have this team ready to play their best from the opening week.

I think that is more a result of the schedule being tough and the Bills being bad (although that Denver loss still stings).

There are quite a few fans here that think Trent Edwards is a good QB. In fact, the finger pointing often gets directed to injuries on the defense, Steve Fairchild, and no WR/TE talent beside LE. Yet you seem to be saying DJ would coach a perennial playoff team with a good QB and 21 other stiffs. So, which way is it?

I think that the NFL is a QB driven league and winning consistently without an at least above average QB is almost impossible for any coach. By the way I wasn't trashing Trent, we just don't know what we have in him yet.

:blink:

And another thing was the production he got from his 3rd and 4th stringers when the chips were down.

I've been asking this question to everyone who says that, so here you go: Did the Cowboys, Browns, and Broncos losses have more to do with Jauron's vagine coaching strategies or with the 3rd/4th string players?

How about the dolphins away game, jets home game, and redskins game as well?

I think that is more a result of the schedule being tough and the Bills being bad (although that Denver loss still stings).

The Denver/Dallas/NY Giants losses all should have been avoided.

All three losses can largely be attributed to bad coaching decisions.

Denver: Let's wait all game long to air one out and spread the defense.

Dallas: Same scenario as above + bad ST decisions, Dallas played heavy in the box all game long.

NY Giants: Bills build an early 14 point lead and then switch into conservative mode resulting in many 3 and outs and a tired defense.

The Denver/Dallas/NY Giants losses all should have been avoided.

All three losses can largely be attributed to bad coaching decisions.

Denver: Let's wait all game long to air one out and spread the defense.

Dallas: Same scenario as above + bad ST decisions, Dallas played heavy in the box all game long.

NY Giants: Bills build an early 14 point lead and then switch into conservative mode resulting in many 3 and outs and a tired defense.

The thing with that is that those games all came in different spots in the season. The Denver game early, the Dallas game in the middle, and the Giants game at the end of the season.

Well, one might say that is a sign of consistency. :blink:

IMO, Jauron has been able to win 7 games each of the past two seasons because of the ultra-conservative approach he has taken. They basically try to take the air out of the ball both defensively and offensively and then hope to catch a break at the end of the game. This keeps most opponents within reach and some others get beaten by their own mistakes. However, in the NFL becoming a champion ultimately it comes down to "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

Two years ago, the Bills beat more aggressive opponents in Green Bay and Jacksonville. Last year those teams played for conference titles and the Bills were once again the picture of boring, mediocre football. The question is: CAN Jauron win coaching a team that plays to win instead of the "not to lose" approach they've taken since he got here? From the looks of things Turk Schonert is going to put Jauron on the spot in this regard.

I've been asking this question to everyone who says that, so here you go: Did the Cowboys, Browns, and Broncos losses have more to do with Jauron's vagine coaching strategies or with the 3rd/4th string players?

How about the dolphins away game, jets home game, and redskins game as well?

All the three losses were due to an ineffective offense.

The Dallas loss was on the offense....they just couldn't punch it it and score TD with a shorter field and the D playing lights out, especially with those many # of INTs and defensive TDs.

The Browns was the same thing...the offense became so conservative it was obvious what the bills were going to do....and they couldn't run the ball and control the game like the Browns did.

The Broncos was again the same story...We let them hang around for too long and paid the penalty when we couldn't convert that 3rd down call to finish the game...

All the three losses were due to an ineffective offense.

The Dallas loss was on the offense....they just couldn't punch it it and score TD with a shorter field and the D playing lights out, especially with those many # of INTs and defensive TDs.

The Browns was the same thing...the offense became so conservative it was obvious what the bills were going to do....and they couldn't run the ball and control the game like the Browns did.

The Broncos was again the same story...We let them hang around for too long and paid the penalty when we couldn't convert that 3rd down call to finish the game...

Exactly. Jauron's conservativeness killed us, not the fact we had 3rd and 4th stringers in...

I hear all the time that one of Dick jauron's best strengths is that he gets the players to show up every week. Shouldn't that be an expectation???? I dont get how that is a strength of a coach.

The question is: CAN Jauron win coaching a team that plays to win instead of the "not to lose" approach they've taken since he got here?

Its hard to think of anything in black and white terms, there is always a gray area. Was missing last years playoffs due to the injuries,

Jauron's conservative coaching strategy, Fairchild's horrible offense/play calling, rookies and 3rd and 4th stringers (and street free agents)

making mistakes because they were inexperienced, bad luck? Realistically we all know it was a combination of all of those things. You

really have to look at the whole picture. Has Jauron played it conservatively? Of course, but it kind of makes sense.

In Jauron's 1st year, the team was a mess and there was a definite lack of talent at a number of positions. Plus it was a new coaching

staff installing a new system. That team wasn't going to take it to anyone...so the conservative approach seemed logical if it kept you

hanging around with teams that were obviously superior in talent (think of the Indy game that year). In year two under Jauron, the Bills

were one of the youngest teams in the league, they were starting a rookie QB (for a good portion of the year) and a rookie RB, and then

there were the injuries. Again, kind of seems logical to play it a bit safe...not saying I wasn't frustrated with it as a fan, but when you think

about it, there was a reason for it.

And as someone said before (when he was in Chi Town), if Jim Miller, A-train, and Marty Booker are your offensive stars, you might tend to

play it a little safe.

I think Jauron's biggest flaw as a head coach, isn't playing conservatively (I think that was a necessity), but his biggest flaw has been his hiring

of offensive coordinators...he definitely does not have a good track record there (in Chicago or Buffalo). But, hopefully Turk can change that trend.

I'm not giving him a pass on this, but we all have areas where we can improve and hopefully experience will teach its lessons here. But I also don't

think you can judge a coach without taking into account what kind of talent is on the team and what are the circumstances surrounding that team or season.

And, let's not underestimate the "getting guys to show up." Have you ever had a job with a bad or domineering boss? What does that do?

Usually people start working half-assed, they dread coming into work, they don't go the extra mile...Jauron's players tend to like him,

work hard for him, he creates a team atmosphere where they're all in it together and they believe they can win and if anyone thinks all

of that doesn't matter in the 4th quarter of games or when the team is down, they're crazy. Think of Marv "where would you rather be than

right here, right now" and that mindset of his teams in relation to the Comeback Game for example. Most teams would have folded down by

that much. But those guys gave it their all for each other and their coaches and their fans. They had too much pride and belief in themselves to fold.

I'm more than willing to give Jauron at least one more year to prove what he can do with a little more talent and experience on the field

and hopefully a better O coordinator, especially because he promotes that team unity and never say die attitude. It goes along way

if the team buys into it. Which they have.