How much should a person pay for an

ieatcrayonz

I will never buy another diamond again. Besides the moral quagmire of buying blood diamonds and enabling the horrible atrocities that happen, De Beers is monopoly like no other. They control the world's diamond supply and pull back supply to artificially inflate prices. If I ever buy a ring it will be moissoinite.

Honestly, do you have a "holier than thou" book with a response to any question anyone in life asks?

"What's the best chicken you've ever had"

"With the way that chicken is treated and processed how could anyone ever eat chicken? I only eat tofu where the soybeans were crushed gently, and not abused"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rule is it has to be a little bigger than the one her last friend to get engaged got. It's all about flashing the bling to her friends, and if her's has a smaller diamond than a friend who got engaged before her, it shows that you don't love her as much.

BINGO!

:D

Recently I purchased a ring for my now fiancee. I was tired of walking into stores and being given the run-around or not being taken seriously because I was young or didn't want to spend a ton of cash on a ring.

I tried http://www.bluenile.com and I (and the woman!) couldn't be happier. Really nice ring, really nice setting. I much prefer the shopping online in a catalog to going into a store and having to listen to all the sales talk.

Honestly, do you have a "holier than thou" book with a response to any question anyone in life asks?

lol.

except for when it is a question about geography in which case pete has been to that city and will tell you about the local customs and which tourist traps to avoid.

the right answer to this question, as someone else posted is "whatever you can afford", though why we are responding to crayonz is beyond me.

Funny, when I was getting enganged 8yrs ago, was not making real great money, but was doing alright for a 26yr old kid without many bills. We went to this jeweler & with the engagement ring & her wedding band I think I spent 6k. Then it came time for me to pick out my wedding band. The guy brings out this book as thick as a phone book & says they are listed from most expensive to least expensive. Well I flipped right to the back of the book & picked the cheapest ring the guy had. $59.99. Not a bad deal & it only turns my finger green when the mercury goes over 90 degrees.

Platinum (Pt) doesn't turn your skin green... I think it is nickel (Ni) that does that?

:D:lol:

I disagree with this. When I bought my wife's ring, I went to at least 75 stores, in various areas of the country (I traveled a lot for work back then), including many places in the District and the absolute BEST value was at Diamond Cutters in the Ellicott Square Building in Buffalo, seconded only by Bomi in Amherst.

After learning, discussing and negotiating at several places, I was able to purchase a terrific diamond from Diamond Cutters with a nice setting. I ended up meeting with Diamond Cutters, told them what I wanted and how much I was willing to spend. They did not have it at the time, called me a few weeks later and told me they had a stone I may be interested in. It wasn't even cut yet. They called me and gave updates as to the cutting and what they found. I bought the stone sight unseen (I had already picked out the setting) and they sent it to me in NYC via insured mail. It really was even better than they had described.

Trust me, it really is about the center stone...complementary stones are nice, but the center stone should steal the show. Everything else is secondary.

Web sites...

http://www.wnydiamonds.com/

http://bomigrelick.com/

75 stores? seriously?

The rule is it has to be a little bigger than the one her last friend to get engaged got. It's all about flashing the bling to her friends, and if her's has a smaller diamond than a friend who got engaged before her, it shows that you don't love her as much.

I think you have to have the same attitude you would want her to have if she was picking out a big screen TV for you.

"Sure he can see the screen fine on the 30 inch, but his buddy just got a 45 inch plasma. I've got to get him one bigger than that."

Neither purchase makes a whole lot of sense financially, but you've just gotta do it,

Recently I purchased a ring for my now fiancee. I was tired of walking into stores and being given the run-around or not being taken seriously because I was young or didn't want to spend a ton of cash on a ring.

I tried http://www.bluenile.com and I (and the woman!) couldn't be happier. Really nice ring, really nice setting. I much prefer the shopping online in a catalog to going into a store and having to listen to all the sales talk.

Agree. I got my fiancee's on whiteflash.com, and we couldn't be happier. I HATE dealing with jewelers in a store. They all either think you are really dumb, or are really dumb themselves.

I think you have to have the same attitude you would want her to have if she was picking out a big screen TV for you.

"Sure he can see the screen fine on the 30 inch, but his buddy just got a 45 inch plasma. I've got to get him one bigger than that."

Neither purchase makes a whole lot of sense financially, but you've just gotta do it,

So... To twist it in that diection... You build or start your relationship by "keeping up with the Joneses."

:ph34r::worthy:

You wonder why we are so phucked in this country...

So... To twist it in that diection... You build or start your relationship by "keeping up with the Joneses."

:ph34r::worthy:

You wonder why we are so phucked in this country...

I wasn't being completely serious with the "competition" aspect. The point was, not everything has to be a 100 percent fiscally responsible decision. Of course you don't need a 4 thousand dollar diamond and the money could definitely be spent better elsewhere, but if you can afford it, why not? If it makes your future wife happy, it's money well spent. Life's too short to be pinching pennies.

It's another story if you put yourself into debt cause you buy something you can't afford.

I wasn't being completely serious with the "competition" aspect. The point was, not everything has to be a 100 percent fiscally responsible decision. Of course you don't need a 4 thousand dollar diamond and the money could definitely be spent better elsewhere, but if you can afford it, why not? If it makes your future wife happy, it's money well spent. Life's too short to be pinching pennies.

It's another story if you put yourself into debt cause you buy something you can't afford.

I understand... I am just busting you chops.

But, think about it... Even if you are putting yourself in hock to get something like this... You are investing in precious metals and gems right... It is a family asset in that respect... Kinda like the Crown jewels just on a much smaller note. Me thinks that is the thinking that got it all started. You are investing in the wealth of the family.

No?

I understand... I am just busting you chops.

But, think about it... Even if you are putting yourself in hock to get something like this... You are investing in precious metals and gems right... It is a family asset in that respect... Kinda like the Crown jewels just on a much smaller note. Me thinks that is the thinking that got it all started. You are investing in the wealth of the family.

No?

Yeah I'm sure that is/was some people's thinking. IMO though, the diamonds are only worth something monetarily if you seriously consider selling them one day. Otherwise, it's just a sparkling rock. Has anyone ever sold their own or one of their relatives rings for anything close to what it originally cost?

You should also take into account the finger size of the lady for which the ring is intended. My wife's hands are very, very tiny, so getting a 2caret ring would look gaudy and Fred Flinstone ridiculous. Sacrifice the size and get a high quality cut.

I also do not put great stock in the clarity value. Most people are not going to bust out a 10x glass to look at the flaws in a ring. If you stay at VVS included, then you should save $$$ and cannot really tell between that and a flawless stone.

I remember my wife telling me that she has small hands, and didn't want a large stone, because it would look tacky. I wanted to go 1/3 karat and she said 1/4 karat looked better. I knew she was a keeper.

I remember my wife telling me that she has small hands, and didn't want a large stone, because it would look tacky. I wanted to go 1/3 karat and she said 1/4 karat looked better. I knew she was a keeper.

My fiance is 5'6 and thin. The 1ct with .4ct surrounding doesn't look tacky at all. It does look like she found a sucker, though. :P

75 stores? seriously?

When I was spending that kind of cash, I wanted to make sure I didn't get ripped off. I went to stores near my office at lunch, at the mall, in other cities (you'd be amazed how many jewlery stores are near hotels in major cities), met with jewlers via private appointment and walked through the diamond district.

Not anymore. The gubmint will bail you out if you spend irresponsibly. Damn, I wish I was less financially responsible!

Spend what you want to spend.

My only piece of advice is:

DON'T BUY AN ENGAGEMENT RING AT A DEPARTMENT STORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a diamond dealer/ professional jewler. Go in and just look. Get an idea of what you want (cut, size, color, clarity) and then go back and tell them what you are looking for.

You should buy the diamond and ring, but they should not be together until you buy them.

If you bought your ring at a department store, you got ripped off.

I spent $5700 on my wifes ring. The diamond is; princess cut, .99 of a carot, Clarity - VVS1, and Color grade E. Her ring is platinum with two baquettes (.27 carot each). It is a beautiful ring, my wife loves it and thats what counts.