Lynch's Punishment

Frez

Well, I'm certainly a punk. But that really has no bearing on the discussion.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that Lynch played the entire incident perfectly. Most certainly, he should have stopped. I could even go further and say he probably shouldn't have even been driving. However, what I was referring to was.... upon realizing he screwed up, he did what he should do. Contact the team, contact his lawyer. Take their advice, i.e. shut up and let them deal with the police/DA. And keep it out of the press as much as possible. As far as the league is concerned, I would guess they'd prefer all players handle their legal issues like this - as opposed to addressing the media and turning the whole thing into a circus.

As far as self preservation goes he definitely did do the right thing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as self preservation goes he definitely did do the right thing.

He may have done the "right" thing for the first 24 hours but after that he slowly leaned toward scum status with each passing day.

After his buzz wore off and he got some sleep he should have come forward for the victim, his team and himself. The charge(s) would not have been any different and he would have looked like a stand up guy for his honesty.

His attorney is a joke for not having him come forward sooner and apologize in a press conference setting, Marshawn could have looked like a humble person asking for forgiveness, now he just looks like a punk kid who feels he should know no consequence for his actions.

He may have done the "right" thing for the first 24 hours but after that he slowly leaned toward scum status with each passing day.

After his buzz wore off and he got some sleep he should have come forward for the victim, his team and himself. The charge(s) would not have been any different and he would have looked like a stand up guy for his honesty.

His attorney is a joke for not having him come forward sooner and apologize in a press conference setting, Marshawn could have looked like a humble person asking for forgiveness, now he just looks like a punk kid who feels he should know no consequence for his actions.

I'd disagree.

I completely blame the attorney. If anyone should know, it should be him. Get the misdemeanor wrapped up and over with.

You guys realize Lynch will be charged with just a violation, right? Admitting guilt in the beginning, while making everyone else feel all warm and fuzzy inside, would have led to him being charged with a misdemeanor.

You guys realize Lynch will be charged with just a violation, right? Admitting guilt in the beginning, while making everyone else feel all warm and fuzzy inside, would have led to him being charged with a misdemeanor.

Not to mention that, if he does that, he gets killed in civil court

I doubt that he'd ever let it reach civil court. He'll over a generous payment and she'll accept.

Except if he came out publicly like everyone seems to want and accepted all sorts of responsibility they wouldn't accept any deal, they'd take it to court and win. The way it is now there will likely be a modest settlement, which I think by all accounts is fair. Pay the medical bills, pay the legal fees, maybe a little something for the trouble and have a nice day. if he comes out before charges are even filed and says "Yeah my bad, I just knowingly committed a class A misdemeanor and admitting guilt for it now." She and the ambulance chaser, err, lawyer both shoot for the moon and likely get it.

I'll say it again in reference to another thread. If you are unahppy with the conclusion of this situation take it out on the DA when he comes up for re-election. His office conducted this matter and if you are displeased with the length of time it took or the manner in which it was resolved you have the ability to remove that person from his job when he is up for re-election.

Actually, upon further review, you can't because he isn't seeking re-election. but you can go after the candidate he endorses if you wish. Hooray Democracy!

I'll say it again in reference to another thread. If you are unahppy with the conclusion of this situation take it out on the DA when he comes up for re-election. His office conducted this matter and if you are displeased with the length of time it took or the manner in which it was resolved you have the ability to remove that person from his job when he is up for re-election.

Actually, upon further review, you can't because he isn't seeking re-election. but you can go after the candidate he endorses if you wish. Hooray Democracy!

I think Clark is ill, thats why he isn't running for re-election.

Yeah, his attorney should have had him publicly admit his guilt before negotiating the terms of his plea. :blink:

Some of you really need a night at a Holiday Inn Express.

Yeah, his attorney should have had him publicly admit his guilt before negotiating the terms of his plea. :D

Some of you really need a night at a Holiday Inn Express.

You're right, the attorney's only concerned with the legal charges. Lynch's agent/publicists will handle the image rehabilitation.

Criminally, he'll get probation, with a fine and possible community service. As far as the league, I believe there will be no punishment. Based on first time DUIs and other similar first time incidents, the league has not handed out any suspensions for similar occurences. If Lynch gets any suspension, I believe that would be a clear move by the league showing that some players are treated more equally than others. IIRC, Lance Briggs had a similar incident where he left the scene of an accident, though he did not hit a pedestrian, and he got not even a batted eye-lash from the league.

Only time will tell, but I think Lynch gets his free pass here. If something happens again, then there will be a suspension, probably of the four game variety.

This isn't like any other "first time DUI" ... This is a "first time ran-a-person-down-in-the-street-and-took-off" ... very different. In my eyes, it's also a lot more serious that drinking a milkshake with a banned substance in it, and THAT will get a guy four games these days ... Four games, minimum.

More came out today in the News.

Traffic violation. No criminal record. Max $250 fine and 15 days in jail. No chance of first time offender doing jail time.

Authorities investigating the May 31 accident have discussed two possible traffic violations: failure to exercise due care to avoid striking a pedestrian or leaving the scene of a property-damage accident.

The cops say it was dark and raining, he may have been distracted by the dancing girl, and he didn't slow down and didn't try to hide the car.

Steve Johnson and Lynch said they never knew they hit anything.

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buff...ory/377851.html

This isn't like any other "first time DUI" ... This is a "first time ran-a-person-down-in-the-street-and-took-off" ... very different. In my eyes, it's also a lot more serious that drinking a milkshake with a banned substance in it, and THAT will get a guy four games these days ... Four games, minimum.

it might be more serious, but the cops don't have close to the evidence to get him on a hit and run (with a DUI you've been pulled over and breathalized, that's the evidence), but, if he was actually charged with a hit and run the penalty is contingent on the damage (not seriously injured and first offense means its a minor misdeameanor) and to even get him on that they'd have to show intent (like he knew he hit her and then drove off) which they can't show and there is apparently evidence going against it - thus the plea deal to a much lessor offense.

the league isn't going to go out of its way to punish a player for a plea deal to a traffic violation - the banned substance comparison goes to a competitive issue in the league, that's why the league comes down harder on that stuff because it can affect outcomes of games (in theory).