Anybody see this?

ofiba

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty good accuracy on the pitchers part. Nailed him square in the middle of the mask. Just imagine if he'd had that kind of control all game; maybe the scumbag wouldn't need to resort to hitting an ump square in the middle of the mask. . .

I saw that a few weeks ago when it happened. It was all over Sportscenter. The funny thing was the catcher HAD a baseball scholarship that the school pulled after this stunt. Good going jackass! :lol:

Not a scholarship, was going to walk on according to Reilly, but the school said "thanks but no thanks."

Cartersville wound up winning the game 13-1, and when state athletic officials saw the tape, they snapped. "The catcher did not intend to catch the pitch," says Ralph Swearngin, executive director of the Georgia High School Association. "I didn't see the eyes of the catcher tracking the pitch." He put Stephens County on "severe warning" and fined it $1,000.

Then some payback came for Hill, who was planning to walk on at Gordon College in Barnesville, Ga., next season. He got the word from Gordon coach Travis McClanahan, who said, Forget it, we don't want you. "I've seen catchers get crossed up before," says McClanahan. "But he appeared to be blocking a curveball in the dirt. I was shocked. I've never seen that happen. I've never heard of a player even suggesting doing that."

People always talk about the "good ole days"... Baseball early on, it was actually encouraged that the umpire take his licks!

Not saying I approve of this... But, man how the game has changed...

What does that mean? There was a time when pitchers and catchers actively conspired to hit umpires in the face?

People always talk about the "good ole days"... Baseball early on, it was actually encouraged that the umpire take his licks!

Not saying I approve of this... But, man how the game has changed...

if this is sarcasm...it is a poor attempt....

Sad situation. Hope that school and those 2 kids families pay the consequences.

Too bad the ump didn't toss the STAR shortstop when he tossed his helmet after striking out.

Why should there families have to pay? They weren't out there. Let the kids who are guilty pay the consequences. It sounds like they are paying for there stupidity.

One of the dumbest things I have ever seen, the kids are idiots and deserve whatever happens to them regarding loss of future opportunities to play ball or anything else. We seem to be far too forgiving in society and in sports in letting them off the hook because "they're just kids"..... This was a planned and malicious attempt to injure someone and they should suffer the consequences of their actions

Not a scholarship, was going to walk on according to Reilly, but the school said "thanks but no thanks."

Cartersville wound up winning the game 13-1, and when state athletic officials saw the tape, they snapped. "The catcher did not intend to catch the pitch," says Ralph Swearngin, executive director of the Georgia High School Association. "I didn't see the eyes of the catcher tracking the pitch." He put Stephens County on "severe warning" and fined it $1,000.

Then some payback came for Hill, who was planning to walk on at Gordon College in Barnesville, Ga., next season. He got the word from Gordon coach Travis McClanahan, who said, Forget it, we don't want you. "I've seen catchers get crossed up before," says McClanahan. "But he appeared to be blocking a curveball in the dirt. I was shocked. I've never seen that happen. I've never heard of a player even suggesting doing that."

What does that mean? There was a time when pitchers and catchers actively conspired to hit umpires in the face?

Yes. Umps on occasion came to big league parks in the late 1800's with weapons to protect themselves... Especially from the fans. One ump was assualted, he fought back and the UMP was fined and charged with assault.

America's pastime started early with a deep resentment towards authority.

Again.. I not saying this stuff is right... I just don't understand how anybody can be shocked having read our past history. The guys should suffer the ramifications, but man we act as if we are in a sterile bubble nowadays.

Poor... True.

But... Seriously think of the game and where it has come from... This incident is nothing compared to the past. Really. But, by today's PC standard where NOTHING can be resolved with a fist... It is pretty bad.

You're comparing paid professionals with high school kids.

What do expect the ump to do in this situation? Should he charge the mound and start wailing on the pitcher with his fists, or maybe kick the catch in the back of the head? I don't know how hard he was throwing, but if the ball had moved a little and hit him somewhere unprotected, this ump could have been hurt bad. He could still have gotten a concussion or some whiplash/neck injuries from the force of the throw.

Like the one coach said - I've never heard of this even being suggested, let alone actually planned and executed.

Yes. Umps on occasion came to big league parks in the late 1800's with weapons to protect themselves... Especially from the fans. One ump was assualted, he fought back and the UMP was fined and charged with assault.

America's pastime started early with a deep resentment towards authority.

Again.. I not saying this stuff is right... I just don't understand how anybody can be shocked having read our past history. The guys should suffer the ramifications, but man we act as if we are in a sterile bubble nowadays.

Dude - again, you're comparing paid professionals with spoiled brat high school punks who were mad the ump wasn't calling the game their way.

And seriously - I don't know how you are NOT shocked at this. The stuff you are talking about was over 100 years ago. I damn sure expect that sportsmanship and general attitudes have evolved in the last 90-120 years, not stayed the same and certainly not devolved to the point that HS kids could be planning an in-game attack on an official.

You're comparing paid professionals with high school kids.

What do expect the ump to do in this situation? Should he charge the mound and start wailing on the pitcher with his fists, or maybe kick the catch in the back of the head? I don't know how hard he was throwing, but if the ball had moved a little and hit him somewhere unprotected, this ump could have been hurt bad. He could still have gotten a concussion or some whiplash/neck injuries from the force of the throw.

Like the one coach said - I've never heard of this even being suggested, let alone actually planned and executed.

True. And the players should be punished accordingly. I am just pointing out how far the game has come in 169 years.

"Good god, what's becoming of us?"

Pretty relevant question, when it comes to Reilly's career. The guy used to be good.

And that leads to my point... To answer Reilly's question:

We as American are going back to our roots.

Again... Not defending the creeps... It just bugs me when people get all "shocked" over this sh*t and don't read history... This doesn't mean I am making light of a very serious offense... With regards to the game, it isn't new... True these guys are in highschool... But, over a 100 years ago they would have been well on their (if not already) to supporting a family or hardily working.

And that leads to my point... To answer Reilly's question:

We as American are going back to our roots.

Again... Not defending the creeps... It just bugs me when people get all "shocked" over this sh*t and don't read history... This doesn't mean I am making light of a very serious offense... With regards to the game, it isn't new... True these guys are in highschool... But, over a 100 years ago they would have been well on their (if not already) to supporting a family or hardily working.

Do you have a link as to when in history this has happened?

Do you have a link as to when in history this has happened?

Probably can pull reference of all kinds of shenanigan from this read (your basic history):

Baseball

And true, these guys were high schoolers... Given the history of the game, they would have been well on their way in a different era.

I wish we would start looking at our pastime in a less sterile way... That is all I am saying... What happens is not really shocking and TOTALLY NOT a sign of our times.

Probably can pull reference of all kinds of shenanigan from this read (your basic history):

Baseball

And true, these guys were high schoolers... Given the history of the game, they would have been well on their way in a different era.

I wish we would start looking at our pastime in a less sterile way... That is all I am saying... What happens is not really shocking and TOTALLY NOT a sign of our times.

I don't think anyone knows what you are saying, at least not in this thread.

"Good god, what's becoming of us?"

Pretty relevant question, when it comes to Reilly's career. The guy used to be good.

Gotta say, I'm a little shocked and disappointed that he went over to the Dark Side and joined ESPN...I have no idea why he left SI, but with the major lack of anything resembling journalism going on there (especially on Page 2) I'm surprised he'd want to be associated with them.