The Happening

zevo

I went yesterday to see the hulk they both played at the same time Everyone was going to see this.

At the theater I went to there was a huge line for the Hulk and we walked right into the Happening. It was sold out though, but it was in the smaller theater with less showings.

At the theater I went to there was a huge line for the Hulk and we walked right into the Happening. It was sold out though, but it was in the smaller theater with less showings.

It will be interesting to which film is number one this week

Is M. Night the biggest one-hit wonder ever?

MadCap,

What do you define as 'hit'. All his movies since Sixth Sense have made a lot of money save for Lady in the Water. I can post stats if you want.

Secondly, using superlatives such as 'ever' implies you have studied all the directors ever to make movies and narrowed down a list to those that made one commercially successful movie followed by all flops. Is that what you want to say ?

It will be the Hulk. Pretty much already assured. The big question now is if the Happening can hold on to its early and slim lead over Kung Fu Panda.

No question Hulk will be tops. But The Happening made ~ $13 million on Friday compared to the $21 million take for Hulk and most 'experts' had expected not only the gap to be wider, but Hulk's take to be much more. Critical reviews and viewer preferences are not always directly correlated.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/hulk_...riday_estimates

No question Hulk will be tops. But The Happening made ~ $13 million on Friday compared to the $21 million take for Hulk and most 'experts' had expected not only the gap to be wider, but Hulk's take to be much more. Critical reviews and viewer preferences are not always directly correlated.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/hulk_...riday_estimates

True, but horror movies almost without exception drop like boulders after the opening weekend. In the summer, it's even worse. Add to it luke warm (at best) reviews and you got an almost guaranteed BO stinker in the second week.

I like M. Night -- but the script was a short story, not a movie.

True, but horror movies almost without exception drop like boulders after the opening weekend. In the summer, it's even worse. Add to it luke warm (at best) reviews and you got an almost guaranteed BO stinker in the second week.

I like M. Night -- but the script was a short story, not a movie.

Fair enough but I think the question was related to this weekend and not next. I expect it to drop fast as well but perhaps not too much as there is no other scare/thriller competition for that target audience (18+) next weekend. Hulk's target demographic on the other hand has plenty of competition coming up.

Fair enough but I think the question was related to this weekend and not next. I expect it to drop fast as well but perhaps not too much as there is no other scare/thriller competition for that target audience (18+) next weekend. Hulk's target demographic on the other hand has plenty of competition coming up.

Word of mouth is going to kill this flick as fast as it did for Lady in the Water. It's getting blasted everywhere.

MadCap,

What do you define as 'hit'. All his movies since Sixth Sense have made a lot of money save for Lady in the Water. I can post stats if you want.

Secondly, using superlatives such as 'ever' implies you have studied all the directors ever to make movies and narrowed down a list to those that made one commercially successful movie followed by all flops. Is that what you want to say ?

Let me rephrase:

IMO, the guy made ONE good movie, the rest, not so good, regardless of $$$ made...

Between the Strangers and The Happening, I've wasted about 50 bucks between tickets for myself and fiance and snacks and what not. What is so hard about writing a horror story with a bit of a plot instead of just hacking people up? I don't think I've liked hardly any of M.Nights movies...Signs wasn't all that great, The Village was pretty good until the ending. Sixth Sense was the only one I've enjoyed.

Let me rephrase:

IMO, the guy made ONE good movie, the rest, not so good, regardless of $$$ made...

Now if you put it that way, I can appreciate it. I do think Unbreakable is his best by far - didn't realize how good it was till I saw it a second time.

As for the trashing the Happening is taking, it was bring trashed way before the movie was released on both Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. Yet, it had a solid weekend worldwide. This further strengthens by belief that internet loud mouths (me included) matter little to the financial performance of a movie.

Now if you put it that way, I can appreciate it. I do think Unbreakable is his best by far - didn't realize how good it was till I saw it a second time.

As for the trashing the Happening is taking, it was bring trashed way before the movie was released on both Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. Yet, it had a solid weekend worldwide. This further strengthens by belief that internet loud mouths (me included) matter little to the financial performance of a movie.

wait. are you trying to tell me that what people say on the internet/message boards doesnt really matter?!?!?!

:wallbash:

wait. are you trying to tell me that what people say on the internet/message boards doesnt really matter?!?!?!

:wallbash:

I never said that. For example, these people are invaluable to determining which rookie QB belongs in the hall of fame and which one is the next Ryan Leaf.

The Hulk will be the biggest flop of the Summer. No chance it makes it's money back.

Why?

Hulk stupid.

Too early to tell. It took in decent amount of money in its first weekend albeit against a $157 million budget. Also, 'biggest' flop ? There are other movies still to come such as Hancock and Hellboy II which (I am bettting) would be in the running for that crown. This summer has been very tame in that there are no certified disasters yet.

Too early to tell. It took in decent amount of money in its first weekend albeit against a $157 million budget. Also, 'biggest' flop ? There are other movies still to come such as Hancock and Hellboy II which (I am bettting) would be in the running for that crown. This summer has been very tame in that there are no certified disasters yet.

There is ZERO percent chance this movie flops. It probably will win July.

hell boy 2 will do alright i bet. the first "flopped" in theatres but has made a following for itself. and the new one looks real good.

I'd guess you are right. See the 1st one - it's readily available. It had a solid story line, plot, which is why folks anticipate the sequel.

Narnia was a flop and Wanted will be a flop.

The producers of the 2nd Narnia for reasons unfathomable, decided to stick their egos into it, and had the thought that making an inspiring tale just another common, dark slash'em flick, would sell big time.

Happens all the time... :rolleyes:

Narnia was a flop and Wanted will be a flop.

Yeah, I can't tell about Wanted yet. It looks like it could be either super fun or super cheesy. I haven't heard much buzz yet. But the director has an amazing track record of pulling off incredible special effects and visuals with zero budget.

But now he has a huge budget. Sometimes that kills the creative side of guys like that; with others it expands their talent. Time will tell.

Yeah, I can't tell about Wanted yet. It looks like it could be either super fun or super cheesy. I haven't heard much buzz yet. But the director has an amazing track record of pulling off incredible special effects and visuals with zero budget.

But now he has a huge budget. Sometimes that kills the creative side of guys like that; with others it expands their talent. Time will tell.

I wish they had just trusted in the source material and not changed super villains into "Assassins." The comic series was excellent and would have made a good movie. This nonsense I see in the previews about curving bullets etc. just looks like nonsense.

There is ZERO percent chance this movie flops. It probably will win July.

I'm sure we'll know within days of the movie's release, but I think the aftermath of the whole Heath Ledger situation will bring big time money to the Dark Knight. I don't know if it can beat out Hancock, but I bet it'll be close.

I'm sure we'll know within days of the movie's release, but I think the aftermath of the whole Heath Ledger situation will bring big time money to the Dark Knight. I don't know if it can beat out Hancock, but I bet it'll be close.

Oh no, good call. Dark Knight is going to be Box Office gold. Not just because of Ledger, but because the film itself it supposed to be as good as the first one.

Good call. You might be right.

Still, it's hard to bet against Will Smith. Plus, the script to Hancock is really, really good. If they pulled it off half as well as they did on paper, it'll be a ton of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally saw The Happening and I have a mixed feeling about it.

I have enjoyed all of Shyamalan's movies, yes that includes The Village & Lady in The Water, although Lady is probably my least favorite.

The concept of The Happening is interesting, has some disturbing and frightening moments, but lacks a sort of intensity which I think prevents it from being an outstanding horror film.

Wahlberg & Deschanel are fine, but it's unfortunate that certain supporting characters are in the story for a short period of time.

Maybe I will like this movie more when I see it a second time. I did like the ending, but for now I would say The Happening is average.

Saw it last night. I thought it was good. I can't really say what it was about it that I liked, but for whatever reason, I left the theater satisfied. It was very different as far as horror movie goes, but I found the casualness of its graphic parts made it very chilling. I like his movies and I've come to expect what you're going to get when you watch one. I think he brings a very different style and I appreciate it.

It was the same with Cloverfield. I thought it was a great flick and I loved that it left so many questions. But when I read/heard others' views on it, the vast majority was pounding on it for the same reasons I liked it.