LeCharles Bentley released by Browns

Id give him a look at first, and if he looks impressive give him a deal that has several clauses in it........go from there. I know before he was with the Browns everyone and their mother wanted him here including me.....Great player with an unfortunate injury.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's NFL.com's take on LeCharles.

"Bentley, a two-time Pro Bowl center with New Orleans, signed a six-year, $36 million free-agent contract in March 2006 with the Browns. The contract was later shortened to one year.

His dream of playing for his hometown team ended quickly when he tore his left patellar tendon on the first full-contact play of training camp that year.

Following surgery to repair the tendon, he developed a staph infection and needed three more operations. Bentley never played in a game for the Browns."

He won't sign for the Vet minimum, but I'd bring him in for a sit down.

Just heard him on Sirius. He's angry, he's nasty and he wants someone to take a chance on him. We should be that team. Not hating on Fowler, but you get a guy like that, he pushes fowler AND butler and makes our team better. And Preston can take a hike...maybe even Fowler with him.

Just heard him on Sirius. He's angry, he's nasty and he wants someone to take a chance on him. We should be that team.

And then watch him play against the Browns on that Monday nite game..... 0:)

What possible harm can come from bringing him in for training camp at least? Never mind if he can beat out Fowler, not that that wouldn't be great. I'd like to see him here just to give preston, etc. a run for their money.

How: I'd sign him for 4 million over 2 years but only give him $500k in guaranteed money/signing bonus and put $2 million up as roster bonus, one mil for each year, and see how it goes. Or something like that. Give him enough so he takes it but make 80% of it based on performance.

He was the best FA signing that year. One of the best Cs in the game, and still young. But he hurt is knee... big time. Two years out of football is not good for anyone. But he did pass his physical and he probably would have a chip on his shoulder, so you could expect a strong effort.

That said, it's risky. A one-year $1 million deal would be a fair price IMO. Why not right? Training camp is a good way to get re-acclimated to the NFL game, and the competition with Fowler would be good for the team.

If he's on his way to being 100% by September, he is obviously a major upgrade over Fowler IMO. I'd see what the money situation is looking like and go from there.

Agreed. He must pass a physical from team doctor's first. And we gotta hope he doesn't get injured ever again like he did.

Buffalo needed to get an upgrade at center. That was going to be one of our top priorities next year in the draft considering that Fowler is undersized and more importantly, overrated at the position. I like Fowler and I think he is pretty smart and does an adequate job, but he got run over a lot last year. Bentley is probably better than Fowler, though I doubt that Bentley is going to be at the form he was in NO. That being said, if he's looking for a team to pick him up that needs a center, Buffalo should do so. I also don't think he will require a HUGE contract to come in and play for Buffalo. He has injury problems and hasn't played for two full seasons. I don't even know that he is in playing shape yet. I woudl guess he would want a decent contract maybe four years 20 mil, just a bit more than Stroud and Mitchell are getting paid. That would leave more than enough money to address the now troubling Peters situation and give Evans and Crowell the kind of money they are looking for. After all, what good is being 30 mil under the cap if you don't use the money to improve the team?

What possible harm can come from bringing him in for training camp at least? Never mind if he can beat out Fowler, not that that wouldn't be great. I'd like to see him here just to give preston, etc. a run for their money.

How: I'd sign him for 4 million over 2 years but only give him $500k in guaranteed money/signing bonus and put $2 million up as roster bonus, one mil for each year, and see how it goes. Or something like that. Give him enough so he takes it but make 80% of it based on performance.

What makes you think he would sign for only $500k guaranteed? It will take more than that.

I think we sign him for the vet minimum, shift him to left tackle (I think he played tackle in junior high). Then trade the hold-out Jason Peters for Chad Johnson and Rudi Johnson, the latter of which we can play at RB if Marshawn Lynch gets suspended or at FB if he doesn't.

Imagine that line-up!! Bentley, Dockery, Fowler, Butler, Walker; with Evans, Hardy, and Johnson at WR; Lynch and Rudi Johnson in the backfield!!!

GO BILLS!!

0:)

ESPN reports that Bentley asks for and granted his release.

This is a surprise...he was cleared to practice with the Browns just yesterday morning.

My guess is Crennel told him he had to compete for a position, and Bentley didn't want to do that.

Thoughts? Would you like him is a Bills' uniform?

Maybe its what he needs...the guy just couldn't even get on the field with them while he was there after blowing out both knees in consecutive years...

Just heard him on Sirius. He's angry, he's nasty and he wants someone to take a chance on him. We should be that team. Not hating on Fowler, but you get a guy like that, he pushes fowler AND butler and makes our team better. And Preston can take a hike...maybe even Fowler with him.

I agree 100 percent