The defense was painfully mediocre again today....

could suit it up and play the other DE spot opposite of Schobel?

Obvisously he had a couple of sacks, however, he's a little more agile than I thought he was. If anything, he'd be a better run stuffer than we have over there, and the two morons we do have over there aren't sacking the QB anyway.

Would Edwards be worth a look at DE? It's easier to find someone to plug up the middle as a backup, than it is to find a good starting DE.

Why not try it.

I hate to admit it but kelsay and denney did a good job today too on the rush. Kelsay pressured the red headed stepchild a few times and denney got in at least too. i think thay both of them are starting to prove their worth to the team.

I was very suprised by Edwards today and had the same thought. I was really impressed with his agility for such a big man. I would not be opposed to trying him in the LDE rotation on top of his normal DT duty just so he gets more playing time. If a player's hot, you have to go with him, but I'd be reluctant to take PW or SA off the field just to accomplish this.

The defense was very shaky in the first half and yet only gave up 10 points. The defense was fanfukkingtastic in the second half and almost pitched a shutout. How many yards did the Dolphins get in the entire second half? We scored a TD and gave up 13 points total. We had several sacks. They got a FG after a first and goal at the one. The Dolphins stink but this was still a very, very good defensive game. They gave up a net 6 points.

It makes little or no football sense to call the Bills D mediocre today (D play is always painful for any fan unless your team is the 85 Bears or the Ravens with Lewis} but mediocre simply does not fit the team's production over the season or for today.

Perhaps one can demand a shut out against a bad team or under these wind conditions. However, this demand is an irrational expectation given that the players involved are professionals and this oddly shaped ball bounces all over the place.

The D in my mind played better than they had much of this season as they:

1. Delivered a crucial opening lead to the team with Spike INT. Given our non-productive O such a contribution from the D can be critical.

2. Though they gave up some stinky 3rd and long conversions, they really stepped up (finally) at the end of the game and held a lead.

3. They gutchecked it out on 1st and goal from the 1 and held the Fins to an FG after Reese made a crappy play to get an interference penalty.

To label their play mediocre when once again they held an opponent below the magic 20 number demonstrates that one exclusively is taking an irrational fan perspective rather than a cold hard-hearted football perspective. As a fellow irrational fan I can understand doing this, but I am fortunately connected enough to reality that I would not label this performance mediocre.

1. Delivered a crucial opening lead to the team with Spike INT.  Given our non-productive O such a contribution from the D can be critical.

2. Though they gave up some stinky 3rd and long conversions, they really stepped up (finally) at the end of the game and held a lead.

3. They gutchecked it out on 1st and goal from the 1 and held the Fins to an FG after Reese made a crappy play to get an interference penalty.

73359[/snapback]

Yes indeed... they got the job done when it mattered most.

It makes little or no football sense to call the Bills D mediocre today (D play is always painful for any fan unless your team is the 85 Bears or the Ravens with Lewis} but mediocre simply does not fit the team's production over the season or for today.

Perhaps one can demand a shut out against a bad team or under these wind conditions.  However, this demand is an irrational expectation given that the players involved are professionals and this oddly shaped ball bounces all over the place.

1. Delivered a crucial opening lead to the team with Spike INT.  Given our non-productive O such a contribution from the D can be critical.

To label their play mediocre when once again they held an opponent below the magic 20 number demonstrates that one exclusively is taking an irrational fan perspective rather than a cold hard-hearted football perspective.  As a fellow irrational fan I can understand doing this, but I am fortunately connected enough to reality that I would not label this performance mediocre.

73359[/snapback]

Yeah, what the hell could I be thinking. You're connected to reality. OK. Congrats on that one.

Now, to point out stuff that they did mediocre, let's take a look.

Let's see here....

1. In brutal conditions, Miami's high school offense had their best game of the season.

2. Sammy Morris had 119 total yards, including a 5.1 YPCarry average, and a 14.0 YPCatch average on receptions.

3. While they did give the Bills a nice (And thank god Fiedler played) lead, obvisously with the pick by Spikes, it was friggin thrown right to him. Horrible pass. But, if you are grounded in reality, you would have expected one of these today, because Fiedler throws one of these per week. By the way, this is the fourth game out of 6 Miami has had a TD scored on them off of an INT.

4. The drive that our D stuffed the Miami offense and held them to a FG, was not until Miami answered the Bills 10 straight points with a 15 play drive that lasted nearly 8 minutes INTO the wind. Not very impressive if you ask me. In fact, pretty friggin bad, especially when the Bills had all the MO.

5. The best defense the Bills played today was the last drive when the OFFENSE finally pulled it own weight and kept themselves on the field instead of handing it over to the D to finish the game.

The pass rush looked good. The goal line stand was good, only after they sucked all the way downfield. But alot of our D looked stevestojantty, that good teams would have exploited.

Good things, and bad things all day = MEDIOCRE PERFORMANCE.

The D was very very mediocre, while doing some things that were pretty good. This was Miami performing pretty decent as far as their team is concerned, in bad conditions, at our house.

could suit it up and play the other DE spot opposite of Schobel?

Obvisously he had a couple of sacks, however, he's a little more agile than I thought he was.  If anything, he'd be a better run stuffer than we have over there, and the two morons we do have over there aren't sacking the QB anyway.

Would Edwards be worth a look at DE?  It's easier to find someone to plug up the middle as a backup, than it is to find a good starting DE.

Why not try it.

73270[/snapback]

No, we need Edwards at DT. This kid has now played 2 very good games in a row. PW is a free agent, and neither him nor Big Sam are young.

I am hoping that TD gives some thought to extending the contract of Edwards.

Think about it....when was the last time we had any pass rush from the DT position?

I hope that his progress continues!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, what the hell could I be thinking.  You're connected to reality.  OK.  Congrats on that one.

Now, to point out stuff that they did mediocre, let's take a look.

Let's see here....

1.  In brutal conditions, Miami's high school offense had their best game of the season.

2.  Sammy Morris had 119 total yards, including a 5.1 YPCarry average, and a 14.0 YPCatch average on receptions.

3.  While they did give the Bills a nice (And thank god Fiedler played) lead, obvisously with the pick by Spikes, it was friggin thrown right to him.  Horrible pass.  But, if you are grounded in reality, you would have expected one of these today, because Fiedler throws one of these per week.  By the way, this is the fourth game out of 6 Miami has had a TD scored on them off of an INT.

4.  The drive that our D stuffed the Miami offense and held them to a FG, was not until Miami answered the Bills 10 straight points with a 15 play drive that lasted nearly 8 minutes INTO the wind.  Not very impressive if you ask me.  In fact, pretty friggin bad, especially when the Bills had all the MO. 

5.  The best defense the Bills played today was the last drive when the OFFENSE finally pulled it own weight and kept themselves on the field instead of handing it over to the D to finish the game.

The pass rush looked good.  The goal line stand was good, only after they sucked all the way downfield.  But alot of our D looked stevestojantty, that good teams would have exploited. 

Good things, and bad things all day = MEDIOCRE PERFORMANCE.

The D was very very mediocre, while doing some things that were pretty good.  This was Miami performing pretty decent as far as their team is concerned, in bad conditions, at our house.

73448[/snapback]

The defense gave up 212 total yards. 14 total first downs. They gave up 13 points and scored 7 themselves, a net of 6 points. They gave up 3.6 yards per pass attempt. They had 5 sacks and one interception. Under any circumstances against any team any week, giving up only 6 points and those few yards and that pressure in a win is an excellent defensive performance.

No, we need Edwards at DT. This kid has now played 2 very good games in a row. PW is a free agent, and neither him nor Big Sam are young.

I am hoping that TD gives some thought to extending the contract of Edwards.

Think about it....when was the last time we had any pass rush from the DT position?

I hope that his progress continues!!!!!!!!!

73458[/snapback]

No, I agree here.....he could always be moved back. One of the easiest positions to teach is DT. However, I really think a DL with Schobel, Williams, Fat Sam and Edwards at the other end would be nice to finish this year. Then add the injured guys and our D, would be pretty nice I think.

My thinking is that Edwards would be a very good run stopping DE, and any sacks would be a plus. We aren't getting sacks or pass rush from Denny or Kelsay that much anyway. And I know Edwards plays the run better.

That's all I was thinking. Hell, don't even know if it would work. But I, as a D coordinator would at least play around with it some!

We could always move him back inside.

The defense gave up 212 total yards. 14 total first downs. They gave up 13 points and scored 7 themselves, a net of 6 points. They gave up 3.6 yards per pass attempt. They had 5 sacks and one interception. Under any circumstances against any team any week, giving up only 6 points and those few yards and that pressure in a win is an excellent defensive performance.

73463[/snapback]

IT'S MIAMI FOR CHRIST'S SAKES. Fiedler gave us 6 points. He does it every week. The defense gave up 13.

The defense looked good at times, and the pass rush was at it's best in a long time. The defense also looked very stevestojantty at times, and made Samy Morris look like Priest Holmes.

Here's a newsflash......We will also hold Arizona down at home too. There's a reason teams suck, and it's usually because they are so inept on offense, they always shoot themselves in the foot.

While we did an OK job against Miami, we also showed some of the same tendencies that we have shown against teams far more superior than Miami.

And one of those was precisely when the high school Dolphins ripped off their 8 minute drive into the wind, and drove it down our throat until we stopped them at the one. This is after we had 10 straight points and all the MO. If that's NE, or the Jets, or any other team with a clue, they punch that ball in. We were lucky it was Miami.

Stupid penalties continued in the secondary as well as London Fletcher's obligatory moment of stupidity. Please, I can't wait to see Lawyer and Troy back. Our backups are awful.

Good and Bad, which there were plenty of each today = a MEDIOCRE performance. Especially considering who we played.

The best D played today, and the surest D played today was our offense putting together that last drive!

The Dolphins had a couple plays of 30 yards the entire game, and it amounted to little. How can you discount the fact we had 5 sacks and scored a touchdown and gave up 6 points more than they scored? And actually, 212 is the second LEAST amount of yards the Dolphins have amassed in their 6 games. How can you say that Fielder gave us the touchdown? The Bills coaches called that defense on that play, the Bills got the good rush that forced the hurried throw, Spikes got in perfect position and goaded the throw because Fielder couldnt see him, and then made the move and made the catch and scored. It was a bad pass that was forced by the good play of the Bills. Without the defensive call, the rush, and the play by Spikes it is not a TD. You seem to put an enormous amount of weight on Sammy Morris running wild in the first half and then seem to totally disregard that he got about 20 yards total in the second and the Dolphins got almost completely shut down the entire half when we needed them to. The Bills also got a fumble that was called not a fumble.

I think the defense played a bit too much bend-but-don't break in the first half, especially when Miami was going against the wind.

They could have brought a bit more pressure against the run and Fiedler, and could have manned-up against McMichael.

The redzone defense in the 2nd half was very good; the Bills have the best red zone defense in the NFL.

Anyway, give this defense 20 points, and the Bills will win most their games.

The Dolphins had a couple plays of 30 yards the entire game, and it amounted to little. How can you discount the fact we had 5 sacks and scored a touchdown and gave up 6 points more than they scored? And actually, 212 is the second LEAST amount of yards the Dolphins have amassed in their 6 games. How can you say that Fielder gave us the touchdown? The Bills coaches called that defense on that play, the Bills got the good rush that forced the hurried throw, Spikes got in perfect position and goaded the throw because Fielder couldnt see him, and then made the move and made the catch and scored. It was a bad pass that was forced by the good play of the Bills. Without the defensive call, the rush, and the play by Spikes it is not a TD. You seem to put an enormous amount of weight on Sammy Morris running wild in the first half and then seem to totally disregard that he got about 20 yards total in the second and the Dolphins got almost completely shut down the entire half when we needed them to. The Bills also got a fumble that was called not a fumble.

73498[/snapback]

I didn't discount any of that stuff. And Spikes busted through the line, and ran into the pick, he didn't read jack stevestojan. If you watch the play, Fiedler SHOULD HAVE lobbed it over his head, and it would have went right to the back. As a matter of fact, Spikes wasn't all that close to the RB. Nonetheless, yeah, I guess you could say he had to catch it, and then run one foot at a time. lol

And yes, Sammy Morris running wild in the first half MEANS THE FRIGGIN Dolphins were in the game. He tore us up, and that prolonged us from putting away a horrible team.

Of course the Dolphins amassed less yards today. The conditions to play in were awful. But, they were able to adequately move the football and make plays, some big, more than they have all year.

AGAIN, while the D did some good things, they also played poorly. A dominating effort would be a 27-3 Bills win. Not a 20-13 win with a goal line stand to keep them at bay.

It's OK to say the D was mediocre, it's not OK to say they played a great game. The Ravens would have beaten the Dolphins at home today 20-0. That's dominating.

We were mediocre. And hey, that's OK, its about time the offense pulled their weight and got us a win.

Best D played today, was our offense's last drive, and the fact that the Miami Dolphins offense ever took the field.

The D may not have been at its best all day today (check Morris's stats), but the simple fact is they made the plays when it mattered most. That has what has been sorely lacking so far this season. Look back at the Jacksonville game and they played fantastic the whole game... until the last drive where they gave up the game winning score. I'll take the less than stellar performance and the W anyday. I know it was only Miami, but we need something to build on...

Fact:

Spikes was in mid blitz on the screen play and pulled off due to a good READ of the quarterback and the screen setup. That is how he made the INT.

Why there are complaints about the defense today I can't even begin to understand.

Fact:

Spikes was in mid blitz on the screen play and pulled off due to a good READ of the quarterback and the screen setup. That is how he made the INT.

Why there are complaints about the defense today I can't even begin to understand.

73615[/snapback]

People need to B word and moan about something. I bet secretly they want the Bills to lose so that they can say "see, I told you so" when it happens.

To label their play mediocre when once again they held an opponent below the magic 20 number demonstrates that one exclusively is taking an irrational fan perspective rather than a cold hard-hearted football perspective.  As a fellow irrational fan I can understand doing this, but I am fortunately connected enough to reality that I would not label this performance mediocre.

73359[/snapback]

Thta's about as close to smack talk as you'll get from FFS!

People need to B word and moan about something.  I bet secretly they want the Bills to lose so that they can say "see, I told you so" when it happens.

73617[/snapback]

No, not really jackass, but since you feel compelled to comment a couple of times I will too.

The D was OK, not great. Again. They made some of the same mistakes they have been making all year.....the difference was we were playing the Dolphins.

Fiedler threw the pick, way moreso than Spikes read any part of that play. HE DOES IT EVERY WEEK. Spikes looked like he was on some type of delayed blitz and ran right into the throw.

Penalties, Sammy, poor tackling in the first half, and some sustained drives with lax coverage. A good team would have exploited it again. But Miami isn't good.

There's no I told ya so.....as a matter of fact, I bet on the Bills twice today.....and I said I'd do this last week after the Jets game. This game was a lock, and one of the easiest outcomes to predict as soon as the Bills went 0-4. Ralph's comments and a home game made it a lock.

Bills -5 straight up for $300, and the Bills teased to +2 along with the Jets teased down to -2.5 for another $300. I haven't lost a Bills game in about 8 straight bets. They are about the easiest team to bet on. I coudln't be happier, a Bills win, and money in the pocket.

It's the Dolphins today. While it was nice to win, I would have liked to see the defense dominate all game. They didn't. And they should have agaisnt the high schoolers from Miami. The defense didn't look all that great. The looked OK. Good here and there, and bad here and there. CERTAINLY didn't dominate. Am I glad we won, hell yeah.