Police Call 1 P.M. News Conference on Accident Involving Marshawn Lync

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly even subscriptions.

(Sorry, obie - I can't resist making a bad pun. :thumbsup: )

Technically it's not a pun. A pun is something like explaining how you should serve hollandise sauce on a chrome platter, because there's no plate like chrome for the hollandaise.

Yours was just a bad joke.

Technically it's not a pun. A pun is something like explaining how you should serve hollandise sauce on a chrome platter, because there's no plate like chrome for the hollandaise.

:thumbsup: ...never heard that one.

Yes...I sit corrected.

Yours is an example of the more common usage, namely specific to words that sound alike. But it is acceptable to take the broader definition of pun, merely as a play on words. Accordingly, I am of the opinion that cincy's reply can legitimately be referred to as a pun.

Yours is an example of the more common usage, namely specific to words that sound alike. But it is acceptable to take the broader definition of pun, merely as a play on words. Accordingly, I am of the opinion that cincy's reply can legitimately be referred to as a pun.

That check I mailed is valid, gringo.

I disagree, sir, and vehemently enough that I shall beat you about the head with invective at a future point in time. A pun is a play on words, but a play on words is not necessarily a pun. The "common" usage is, in fact, the correct usage, and it is not acceptible to pervert the meaning in such a way as to apply it as all-inclusive to the superset which it clearly does not describe.

It now being a future point in time, I shall now inflict on you the aforementioned invective: You stupid little rat-faced git, you should be planted in the ground head-first with the rest of the turnips. Don't argue grammar with me, the original board grammar policeman. :thumbsup: I've got your pun right here, you trout-sucking son of a pooftah Frenchman.

That check I mailed is valid, gringo.

Whew! Just in time. I need to pick up some more boner pills. I haven't been able to throw the football through the tire swing lately. And when I try to jokingly splash water on my girlfriend's face, instead of laughing along with me and pulling me into the bedroom, she calls me an !@#$. :thumbsup:

I disagree, sir, and vehemently enough that I shall beat you about the head with invective at a future point in time. A pun is a play on words, but a play on words is not necessarily a pun. The "common" usage is, in fact, the correct usage, and it is not acceptible to pervert the meaning in such a way as to apply it as all-inclusive to the superset which it clearly does not describe.

It now being a future point in time, I shall now inflict on you the aforementioned invective: You stupid little rat-faced git, you should be planted in the ground head-first with the rest of the turnips. Don't argue grammar with me, the original board grammar policeman. :thumbsup: I've got your pun right here, you trout-sucking son of a pooftah Frenchman.

Ok, I defer to your superior grammar knowledge. You are correct. However, you have been excessively severe in your rebuttal and so I must issue a curse against you: May you grow a trillion super-sensitive tastebuds upon your rectum. And an insatiable hunger for canned chili and genny cream ale.

Ok, I defer to your superior grammar knowledge. You are correct. However, you have been excessively severe in your rebuttal and so I must issue a curse against you: May you grow a trillion super-sensitive tastebuds upon your rectum. And an insatiable hunger for canned chili and genny cream ale.

Whoa, hey, no need to get excessive. It was just a pun, in the broader sense...

The amount of posts in multiple threads referencing the fact that "she wasn't hurt seriously", so therefore what is the big deal are mind boggling. Even more ridiculous are the ones stating that "maybe the driver didn't realize they hit somebody". Do you really believe that Lynch or whomever was driving the car at the time was aware of the condition of the victim as they drove away? I don't think so. They were to busy getting the hell out of dodge.

Get your friggin' heads out of the sand.

So where are the COPs going with this case? I am very surprised no info on what the cops got on him has leaked out! Is Buffalo a closed mouth city, because if it was any other city we'd know what the Cops are going to do before the cops even know. :thumbsup:

So where are the COPs going with this case? I am very surprised no info on what the cops got on him has leaked out! Is Buffalo a closed mouth city, because if it was any other city we'd know what the Cops are going to do before the cops even know. :thumbsup:

I'm sure the police will put their case together very carefully before they file any charges, and they don't have to be in a hurry. Hopefully, there is a reasonable explanation for what has happened and this all turns out to be no big deal for anyone, most importantly the girl who was hit.

The amount of posts in multiple threads referencing the fact that "she wasn't hurt seriously", so therefore what is the big deal are mind boggling. Even more ridiculous are the ones stating that "maybe the driver didn't realize they hit somebody". Do you really believe that Lynch or whomever was driving the car at the time was aware of the condition of the victim as they drove away? I don't think so. They were to busy getting the hell out of dodge.

Get your friggin' heads out of the sand.

While I posted this in another dead thread, I think it applies to your question above, so here goes:

"What I'm having real trouble understanding in all of this is how the driver could have hit her and she only suffered the injuries she did, namely a bruised hip and a cut, which was stitched up with a relatively minimal number of stitches (7) and she was released that day/night. If he hit her straight on, it would have been a lot worse than that obviously. It must have been a glancing hit, i.e., he was turning that corner (meaning that he was not going that fast (by definition) unless he was up on two wheels or something, which no one seems to be suggesting) and she was walking across the street and he clipped her with the right side of his car and she probably spun around and went down, taking a piece of the car with her (my guess is it was a piece of the mirror, since, again, it's doubtful that anything on the front of a car would fall off even if it hit a person straight on (which again, doesn't seem to be the case here). Not to be a Marshawn apologist, but in that case, isn't it possible that the driver of the car wasn't even sure he hit someone, since from a glancing blow there's not likely to be the "thud" you'd get if you hit someone or something head on? Folks here seem to have an image of this accident as he ran her over head on and then sped away. From the injuries involved, it really doesn't sound that way to me.

In terms of Marshawn's not speaking to the police, I agree that being uncooperative looks bad. What I really suspect is going on here is that you have a pretty young and scared guy who knows nothing about these kinds of things, but is scared out of his wits as to what can happen to him in the justice and League discipline process and in such a case is just following the advice of his attorney instead of perhaps doing what a more mature person might do, namely exercising some discretion in the matter and telling his attorney he just wants to come clean and cooperate, which is also an area where his interest and his attorney's diverge since there's not much for an attorney to do if he just goes in and spills his guts (assuming his attorney is not doing right by his client in that regard). This is the easiest path to follow for someone in his shoes, although it may not be the best. Again, I think someone a bit older and wiser may realize that he's not helping himself by staying silent and just relying on his attorney's advice blindly. Remember, too, that Marshawn grew up in a neighborhood where the police were usually not your friends, no matter how some folks try to spin that on this board, which adds to the likelihood that he's a bit gullible when his attorney tells him he's better off fighting this than coming clean.

Personally, I think that Marshawn would be better served coming forward, not least of the reasons for which is that it's the right thing to do. That said, I can understand why he may not do so, but that's worse for even him in the long run, as that doesn't look so good either to the Commissioner or the public. I also think, however, that a lot of folks here and elsewhere are blowing this a bit out of proportion--as noted above, based on the facts we have, it's possible that the driver of this care didn't even know they'd really hit someone. This is not a case of attempted murder or even attempt to injure. Even if Marshawn was the driver, I'd say that the sentence would involve no jail time (probation and community service) and from the League, the worst I would see as fair would be a 4 game suspension, reduced to 2 for contrition (if it's shown eventually), much like Jared Allen got last year for 2 DWI's in a short span of time (and for those who talk about Jared's "contrition", remember that he still owned a bar throughout all of that). I'm not even sure that's warranted for Marshawn here, personally, as this was really his first brush with the law (I don't count his being shot at in a case of mistaken identity and the thing with his girlfriend that was dropped--if it was dropped, I don't think it's fair for the NFL to use that against him, but that's just my view)."

Call me a Bills homer, but that's the way I see it.

While I posted this in another dead thread, I think it applies to your question above, so here goes:

"What I'm having real trouble understanding in all of this is how the driver could have hit her and she only suffered the injuries she did, namely a bruised hip and a cut, which was stitched up with a relatively minimal number of stitches (7) and she was released that day/night. If he hit her straight on, it would have been a lot worse than that obviously. It must have been a glancing hit, i.e., he was turning that corner (meaning that he was not going that fast (by definition) unless he was up on two wheels or something, which no one seems to be suggesting) and she was walking across the street and he clipped her with the right side of his car and she probably spun around and went down, taking a piece of the car with her (my guess is it was a piece of the mirror, since, again, it's doubtful that anything on the front of a car would fall off even if it hit a person straight on (which again, doesn't seem to be the case here). Not to be a Marshawn apologist, but in that case, isn't it possible that the driver of the car wasn't even sure he hit someone, since from a glancing blow there's not likely to be the "thud" you'd get if you hit someone or something head on? Folks here seem to have an image of this accident as he ran her over head on and then sped away. From the injuries involved, it really doesn't sound that way to me.

In terms of Marshawn's not speaking to the police, I agree that being uncooperative looks bad. What I really suspect is going on here is that you have a pretty young and scared guy who knows nothing about these kinds of things, but is scared out of his wits as to what can happen to him in the justice and League discipline process and in such a case is just following the advice of his attorney instead of perhaps doing what a more mature person might do, namely exercising some discretion in the matter and telling his attorney he just wants to come clean and cooperate, which is also an area where his interest and his attorney's diverge since there's not much for an attorney to do if he just goes in and spills his guts (assuming his attorney is not doing right by his client in that regard). This is the easiest path to follow for someone in his shoes, although it may not be the best. Again, I think someone a bit older and wiser may realize that he's not helping himself by staying silent and just relying on his attorney's advice blindly. Remember, too, that Marshawn grew up in a neighborhood where the police were usually not your friends, no matter how some folks try to spin that on this board, which adds to the likelihood that he's a bit gullible when his attorney tells him he's better off fighting this than coming clean.

Personally, I think that Marshawn would be better served coming forward, not least of the reasons for which is that it's the right thing to do. That said, I can understand why he may not do so, but that's worse for even him in the long run, as that doesn't look so good either to the Commissioner or the public. I also think, however, that a lot of folks here and elsewhere are blowing this a bit out of proportion--as noted above, based on the facts we have, it's possible that the driver of this care didn't even know they'd really hit someone. This is not a case of attempted murder or even attempt to injure. Even if Marshawn was the driver, I'd say that the sentence would involve no jail time (probation and community service) and from the League, the worst I would see as fair would be a 4 game suspension, reduced to 2 for contrition (if it's shown eventually), much like Jared Allen got last year for 2 DWI's in a short span of time (and for those who talk about Jared's "contrition", remember that he still owned a bar throughout all of that). I'm not even sure that's warranted for Marshawn here, personally, as this was really his first brush with the law (I don't count his being shot at in a case of mistaken identity and the thing with his girlfriend that was dropped--if it was dropped, I don't think it's fair for the NFL to use that against him, but that's just my view)."

Call me a Bills homer, but that's the way I see it.

After thinking about it further, I believe your scenario is probably what happened. That is, with the conditions (rainy, taking a turn, music blaring), the driver didn't realize he hit her and didn't see her because she fell down (although she probably didn't hit her head, which could explain why she wasn't backboarded, but that's still a mistake on the EMT's part if he took her word for it). The fact that the car was found in the driveway and not in the garage or elsewhere also suggests that the driver was unaware of what happened.

Why keep silent? Because there WILL be a civil suit, or at least the threat of one.

You could have saved yourself a lot of typing by just posting your last sentence. :thumbsup:

Give me a break with that crap. He gave you a detailed, well thought out analysis of the situation based on how he views the FACTS. It's people like you on these boards, jumping to outrageous and hasty conclusions that need to pull their heads out of their a$$.

There are people calling for the team to let Marshawn go because he "left a woman for dead" in the road. Have you lost your minds?!?

He's a 22-year-old-kid who made a mistake and is probably trying to figure out, with his attorney, for better or worse, how to make the situation right. I don't think the point can be stressed enough about where Marshawn comes from and how much of an influence that can have on how he views and trusts the authorities.

I think MattM's analysis was spot on as far as how minimal the injuries were and the nature of where and when this happened. It was a very minor collision at best -- no backboard, only bruising, very low number of stitches, etc...

This sounds more and more like a witch-hunt on these boards. These are pro-athletes not our moral compasses. When you have most of your players coming from very low-income areas and then you throw these young kids a ton of money, bad things happen. All you moral grandstanders wouldn't be happy with any team in the league if you knew half of what these guys are probably doing. Take that holier-than-thou naevity, grow up and look around. If you think you could field a team of saints you're a looney and this league, or any other professional sports league, isn't for you.

Marshawn has embraced this city -- and with a place like Buffalo, I'm sure that's not always the easiest thing for a young, black man to do. Everything before this indicated a pretty decent guy with a good heart. He at least deserves a chance for the FACTS to come out before his new community hangs him out to dry.

OMG, that is soooooo bad, but it's really funny! :lol: 4th down time to pun.

You forgot to add: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

After thinking about it further, I believe your scenario is probably what happened. That is, with the conditions (rainy, taking a turn, music blaring), the driver didn't realize he hit her and didn't see her because she fell down (although she probably didn't hit her head, which could explain why she wasn't backboarded, but that's still a mistake on the EMT's part if he took her word for it). The fact that the car was found in the driveway and not in the garage or elsewhere also suggests that the driver was unaware of what happened.

Why keep silent? Because there WILL be a civil suit, or at least the threat of one.

Great analysis. I think that's probably what happened.

Give me a break with that crap. He gave you a detailed, well thought out analysis of the situation based on how he views the FACTS. It's people like you on these boards, jumping to outrageous and hasty conclusions that need to pull their heads out of their a$$.

There are people calling for the team to let Marshawn go because he "left a woman for dead" in the road. Have you lost your minds?!?

He's a 22-year-old-kid who made a mistake and is probably trying to figure out, with his attorney, for better or worse, how to make the situation right. I don't think the point can be stressed enough about where Marshawn comes from and how much of an influence that can have on how he views and trusts the authorities.

I think MattM's analysis was spot on as far as how minimal the injuries were and the nature of where and when this happened. It was a very minor collision at best -- no backboard, only bruising, very low number of stitches, etc...

This sounds more and more like a witch-hunt on these boards. These are pro-athletes not our moral compasses. When you have most of your players coming from very low-income areas and then you throw these young kids a ton of money, bad things happen. All you moral grandstanders wouldn't be happy with any team in the league if you knew half of what these guys are probably doing. Take that holier-than-thou naevity, grow up and look around. If you think you could field a team of saints you're a looney and this league, or any other professional sports league, isn't for you.

Marshawn has embraced this city -- and with a place like Buffalo, I'm sure that's not always the easiest thing for a young, black man to do. Everything before this indicated a pretty decent guy with a good heart. He at least deserves a chance for the FACTS to come out before his new community hangs him out to dry.

I don't go to many movies where the bad guy wins. This is entertainment and I want to root for the good guys. There are things to forgive and others to not forgive. If it happened the way VOR described above it's forgivable.

Great analysis. I think that's probably what happened.

Actions speak louder than words. If they were trying to flee from a H&R, that car would have been anywhere BUT in Marshawn's driveway.

I don't go to many movies where the bad guy wins. This is entertainment and I want to root for the good guys. There are things to forgive and others to not forgive. If it happened the way VOR described above it's forgivable.

Why everyone wants to assume the worst is what's more troubling, not to mention the "string him up, I'm done with him" attitude. I'd no more want to hang with someone who lacks forgiveness and compassion than with someone who truly hits someone and leaves them for dead.

But two things I want to know are, does the videotape of the intersection show enough footage to see if the car is swerving (i.e. suggesting the driver is drunk) and does Marshawn's cousin look like him and have dreads?

I'd no more want to hang with someone who lacks forgiveness and compassion than with someone who truly hits someone and leaves them for dead.

Good point. A person who might be loathe to forgive me is every bit as bad as someone who would leave me laying dead in the street. I never really looked at things that way before.

Thanks for opening my eyes and expanding my horizons.