OT--I was a witness to a MAJOR domestic incident yesterday

A little background... My next door neighbor is the stereotypical great neighbor but crappy husband/father type guy. There's been crap that's gone on but it was all inside, and it was just yelli a and emotional stuff, nothing physical. He's also a functioning alcoholic. He's also inbetween jobs. He was working at wal mart at a distribution plant, but he's starting a new job as a civilian mechanic on ft. bragg like, next week or something. After work, he's always drinkin in his garage, and on the weekends, his usual MO is to drink around 10am till friday night's beer is gone, then he'll go get enough to last the rest of the weekend...

So, yesterday, he was drinking in the morning in his garage, his son was inside and his wife was at work. I then went inside after my yard was finished and was watching a movie (leaving las vegas... Irony at it's ultimate finest). All the sudden my wife comes in carrying the dog saying that there's a bunch of cops outside with our neighbor. We went upstairs and watched as he failed, and faile miserably, a field sobriety test. The police get the son outside to ask him a few questions. "does your dad have a problem? in your opinion, is he drunk? etc." He answers yes and the dad, who's now seated in the police car, starts yelling at his son (who's about 21). The son walks away crying and in obvious need of a hug (not provided by me. he looks like a more ripped version of vin diesel). The cop rolls away but gets about 3 feet cause he didn't buckle my neighbor in. So when the car stops, the son explodes and trys to beat the crap out of his dad, sitting in the car. The cop restrains the son and gets the dad buckled in and pulls away. Son beats the crap out of his dad's truck, throws bottles at it and the whole nine yards. After about an hour, all of us neighbors console the son and we find out that he had gone on a beer run but pulled into the wrong road, got confused, and knocked down a basketball hoop. The owners called the cops on the truck and he was charged with leaving the scene, and dwi. That's part 1 folks.

About 4 hours later, we were all gathered in the cul-de-sac for our traditional saturday afternoon "man-meeting" when a taxi cab pulls in with my neighbor in the back. We all scatter cause we all know what's going to happen next. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, we hear screaming from inside the house then the dad runs out, towards his truck to drive away. The son catches him and literally powerbombs him onto the concrete. Back of head makes first contact with the pavement, and the dad is knocked the F out, prone, and i really hate to make the analogy, but it was kevin everett. One shake and absolute stillness. The son kicks him in the head 2 or 3 times for good measure and walks back to his porch to decompress. We all ran out, all on the phone to 911 to report a domestic incident involving father and son and a massive head injury. The dad was semi-conscious, able to move his 4 limbs, had a strong pulse, but was incoherent. Obvious neurological problems, and a big gash on the back of his head, but suprisingly not totally uncontrollable bleading. My other neighbor was just using a toilet paper roll to apply pressure. When the cops got there they asked the dad what had happened and he said "i am very drunk and i slipped and fell". All the neighbors (about 10 of us) scattered, since we had all called in a domestic disturbance. They backboarded him and got him to the hospital, took a statement from the wife and son, and everyone left. The son got dressed up and went out around 9pm and hasn't returned yet. The wife went tot he hospital around 10 or so with a neighbor, and by 11:30pm, the dad had arrived back home. He was still semi-conscious and was in some serious pain, but the other neighbor helped him into the house. So, now its almost 9am and there's been no activity.

I'll post updates as they become available. I'm not really writing this to spread the gospel of my neighborhood, just to decompress. Does anyone else have any incidents like this involving neighbors? Just want to make sure i'm not the only one. BTW, i won't be enjoying a beer for the next few months.

Before i even had time to post this, he just came outside. he thanked us for calling 911 and for staying out of it, appologized for the scene, and said that he got 4 stitches in his head and has severely bruised ribs and possible cartilige damage in his chest. All he said about his son was that "he stomped me out" and that it is "rough". He said that the reason the cab brought him home was cause they didn't pick up when he called after bailing himself out of jail. IMO, that probably precipitated the fight inside, which lead to the scene outside.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a tough spot you are in....the son seems to have up some built up hostilities towards his dad, rightfully so, it may seem. but now you have allowed this potentially tragic event to be glossed over. the son could have killed him. who knows where it goes from here, but my guess it will only get worse, unless the dad uses this as the wake up call he needs and can begin to heal himself and in the process work on healing his relationships..

A little background... and on the weekends, his usual MO is to drink around 10am till friday night's beer is gone, then he'll go get enough to last the rest of the weekend...

So, yesterday, he was drinking in the morning in his garage,

So, guy starts drinking at 10:00 AM on Friday, and continues this all weekend long at his residence he has with son Brian Bosworth??

Forget about AA, Pops needs to get into a rehab. Let the wife commit him.

thats a tough spot you are in....the son seems to have up some built up hostilities towards his dad, rightfully so, it may seem. but now you have allowed this potentially tragic event to be glossed over. the son could have killed him. who knows where it goes from here, but my guess it will only get worse, unless the dad uses this as the wake up call he needs and can begin to heal himself and in the process work on healing his relationships..

poojer, i didn't let this gloss over. I'm trying my best to not get involved. I told the dad that he needs to get better and i told the son that we're there for him. I told all 3 that they're in our prayers. I will confront the son later today and tell him that he got his one moment of uncontrolled rage, but that my advice to him is to use everything that he has inside him to focus on rational thought if he confronts his dad again. The son is as cool as the other side of the pillow. He snapped yesterday, and he seems cool again now (he just arrived home from wherever he was). I did not gloss this over for them. They're in their 50's and 21. As sad as it may sound, they'll have to deal with it on their own terms untill it crosses onto my property, my family or my business.

Might have been a good time to tell him to go to AA. Seriously.

So, guy starts drinking at 10:00 AM on Friday, and continues this all weekend long at his residence he has with son Brian Bosworth??

Forget about AA, Pops needs to get into a rehab. Let the wife commit him.

This is why it's so ironic that i was watching leaving las vegas yesterday when this all happened. Today, because he has no alcohol, was already shaking a bit when i was talking to him a while ago. It's a sad case, but he's literally in the later stages of alcoholism, where his brain chemistry has been altered, and now he's sick because he has no alcohol in his blood.

...he had gone on a beer run but pulled into the wrong road, got confused, and knocked down a basketball hoop. The owners called the cops on the truck and he was charged with leaving the scene, and dwi. That's part 1 folks...

Are you sure Marshawn wasn't in the area?

poojer, i didn't let this gloss over. I'm trying my best to not get involved. I told the dad that he needs to get better and i told the son that we're there for him. I told all 3 that they're in our prayers. I will confront the son later today and tell him that he got his one moment of uncontrolled rage, but that my advice to him is to use everything that he has inside him to focus on rational thought if he confronts his dad again. The son is as cool as the other side of the pillow. He snapped yesterday, and he seems cool again now (he just arrived home from wherever he was). I did not gloss this over for them. They're in their 50's and 21. As sad as it may sound, they'll have to deal with it on their own terms untill it crosses onto my property, my family or my business.

Who called 911 after his son smashed him? It seems odd that the police didn't want to talk to the original caller? Especially when the caller said domestic dispute but the dad said fall. That sounds like a textbook case of "cover up the family violence." Perhaps the police didn't handle that one so well? Didn't anyone say 'dad just got the beat down' to the 911 operator initially?

It's a tough situation, honestly. Clearly it's the last thing you want to be involved in due to a) family troubles are none of your business and b) it's a risk to you. On the other hand, how are you going to feel if next time Junior beats him to death with a Louisville?

I would have probably done close to the same thing. I would have called, reported, and then stayed the hell out of the way. If they were to explicitly ask me what happened, I'd tell the story truthfully. I honestly would have probably told them what happened in detail on the phone.

I've not seen anything like this, though I've seen guys punch their women in the mouth while working downtown on more than one occasion. It's amazing the type of stuff one sees from a 2nd floor smoking deck. Passers by don't even realize it.

This is why it's so ironic that i was watching leaving las vegas yesterday when this all happened. Today, because he has no alcohol, was already shaking a bit when i was talking to him a while ago. It's a sad case, but he's literally in the later stages of alcoholism, where his brain chemistry has been altered, and now he's sick because he has no alcohol in his blood.

Perhaps that whole situation will serve as a catalyst for him to clean it up. He seriously should seek out some help, though. Kicking anything is easier when you've got help and the advice of someone that's been through it. That holds true for smoking, alcohol, harder drugs, and even habitual problems such as gambling.

I'd mention that to him, just as a buddy in passing.

That is ironic. And it sure sounds like he was having DT's. Again if you think you can suggest it to him, mention AA.

Who called 911 after his son smashed him? It seems odd that the police didn't want to talk to the original caller? Especially when the caller said domestic dispute but the dad said fall. That sounds like a textbook case of "cover up the family violence." Perhaps the police didn't handle that one so well? Didn't anyone say 'dad just got the beat down' to the 911 operator initially?

It's a tough situation, honestly. Clearly it's the last thing you want to be involved in due to a) family troubles are none of your business and b) it's a risk to you. On the other hand, how are you going to feel if next time Junior beats him to death with a Louisville?

I would have probably done close to the same thing. I would have called, reported, and then stayed the hell out of the way. If they were to explicitly ask me what happened, I'd tell the story truthfully. I honestly would have probably told them what happened in detail on the phone.

I've not seen anything like this, though I've seen guys punch their women in the mouth while working downtown on more than one occasion. It's amazing the type of stuff one sees from a 2nd floor smoking deck. Passers by don't even realize it.

our cul-de=sac has 11 houses on it. our local police dept received 10 calls in about a 5 minute period. we all said the same thing. son was beating the dad. It was a case of cover up the family violence. I talked to a friend of mine who works for the sherriff's dept. (not involved in the call) and he says that since it happened on their property that it was up to the dad to file charges, unless he somehow dies from his wounds. And you're right, i'm staying the hell out of the way unless someone gets hurt again, something happens to me, my wife or my property, or he comes to me for help.

That is ironic. And it sure sounds like he was having DT's. Again if you think you can suggest it to him, mention AA.

He's going to need more than AA, he's going to need treatment (as was mentioned above). My wife works in that field, and there's no way in hell the guy's going to get better going to a few meetings a week. He'll be lucky to kick it the first couple of times through treatment. :(

He came over again to apologize and to tell me that he and his son talked. I didn't even mention the dwi incident earlier in the day, i just said again that he, his wife, and his son were all in our prayers and I hope that he gets physically better and his family can become whole again. He thanked me and started to cry. He's a defeated, empty man. I just hope that he can get himself checked into rehab or something, cause the second he's able to walk at normal speed, he'll walk right to the gas station for a case of beer again, and it will start all over. I feel sorry for him, but i also want the law to come down hard on him fast, so that he is not a danger to anyone else on the road.

14 posts in and no Hardy jokes? Did I slip into some Twilight Zone version of TSW?

Corp, sorry to hear about all this. Our neighbors had some weird stuff happen when we were growing up that spilled outside a couple times -- it's scary how fast that stuff can happen and it's tough to know how to handle it. I honestly don't know what I'd do in your place.

To me, it sounds like there might be more going on, or something else that the father did to provoke his son. It doesn't make sense that the son would go that crazy just because his father is a drunk mess? I don't know, maybe the father did something that no one yet knows about.

Does the son know that he screwed up? If not, thats a sure sign that he may be in worse shape than his father

I'm sure that won't be the last of it. Now Daddy's got some ammo to go off on the kid next time Daddy is crocked and wants to mouth off. The kid may have never "gone to that place" before, and may have some immediate issues of identity questioning. If he can do that to his dad, I would think with all the added bad blood, he'll finish the deal next time. I mean, the guy piledrived his dad into the cement, then kicked his limp bodied head in.

If you are going to stay out of it, be prepared to stay out of it when the deal gets done for good. It's a whole new ballgame now.

I'm sure that won't be the last of it. Now Daddy's got some ammo to go off on the kid next time Daddy is crocked and wants to mouth off. The kid may have never "gone to that place" before, and may have some immediate issues of identity questioning. If he can do that to his dad, I would think with all the added bad blood, he'll finish the deal next time. I mean, the guy piledrived his dad into the cement, then kicked his limp bodied head in.

If you are going to stay out of it, be prepared to stay out of it when the deal gets done for good. It's a whole new ballgame now.

You got that right.

This bulked-up kid is more f'd up than Daddy.

Were I a neighbor, I'd be sure to have a readily available shotgun in battery...and instruct the family.

24-7...