Jaguars: Ticket sales behind '06 pace

Ticket sales behind '06 pace

By Vito Stellino, The Times-Union

Two years ago, coming off a 12-4 regular season and a first-round playoff loss in New England, the Jaguars announced on June 21 that they had sold all their non-premium seats and wouldn't have any television blackouts.

Even though the Jaguars went 11-5 last season and won their first playoff game since 1999, they're currently behind that pace for 2008.

Tim Connolly, the Jaguars' senior vice president/business operations, said fans have purchased about 43,000 season tickets, 4,000 shy of the 47,000 non-premium seats for sale on that basis. The Jaguars also sell about 5,000 tickets per game via group sales. They have 11,000 club seats, but those premium tickets don't count toward the TV blackout figure.

Although Connolly wouldn't rule out matching the late June sellout date of two years ago, the Jaguars already have set a date of Aug. 11 for single-game ticket sales.

Connolly said it's unlikely that any of the Jaguars' top home games - notably against the Pittsburgh Steelers (Oct. 5), Green Bay Packers (Dec. 14) and Indianapolis Colts (Dec. 18) - will be available for single-game sales, so fans wanting to see those teams should buy season tickets. The home opener against the Buffalo Bills (Sept. 14) and games against the Cleveland Browns (Oct. 26) and Minnesota Vikings (Nov. 23) also are in demand, he said.

The only home games that might be tough sells are Sept. 26 against the Houston Texans and Nov. 16 against the Tennessee Titans. Even though those games are against AFC South rivals, those teams' fans don't tend to travel to Jacksonville and don't have the national following that clubs such as the Steelers and Packers do.

Connolly said he thought Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre's retirement in March might dampen the demand for the Jaguars-Packers game, but it hasn't had an effect.

In the first two years after the Jaguars covered almost 10,000 seats, they had no TV blackouts, but they had three last year. Connolly said the sagging economy could be a reason the Jaguars might not match the pace of two years ago.

"Every business, including yours, is faced with challenges," Connolly said.

Anyone going to the Bills-Jags game in FL?

Anyone going to the Bills-Jags game in FL?

Yes I am and I've learned my lesson. I won't be buying tickets in advance this time. You can get tickets for way less than face value right in front of the stadium. Most of the fans were pretty cool too. Though I have to say were I only going to only go to one game in Jacksonville this year it would be the Florida vs. Georgia game. That is an absolute blast. I would recommend every football fan experience that and I'm neither a Florida nor a Georgia fan.

Oil $129 a barrel! It's honestly impacting everything. :unsure:

Everything...except impacting Congressional Democrats blocking drilling - for years - in ANWAR, off the coast of FLA, CA, and in the Gulf of Mexico. As we speak, the ChiComms are planning drilling operations for the Cubans for Gulf oil.

Oh well. Better a congressman insures re-election, than the draining of the wallets of the citizenry... be sure to vote this November! ;)

Everything...except impacting Congressional Democrats blocking drilling - for years - in ANWAR, off the coast of FLA, CA, and in the Gulf of Mexico. As we speak, the ChiComms are planning drilling operations for the Cubans for Gulf oil.

Oh well. Better a congressman insures re-election, than the draining of the wallets of the citizenry... be sure to vote this November! :unsure:

It really wouldn't matter if they could drill in those places, it wouldn't affect the price of oil. Oil companies are making BILLIONS in profit every year. The only thing that will bring the price of gas down is government INTERVENTION on what the oil companies charge.

It really wouldn't matter if they could drill in those places, it wouldn't affect the price of oil. Oil companies are making BILLIONS in profit every year. The only thing that will bring the price of gas down is government INTERVENTION on what the oil companies charge.

Supply does not affect the price of oil?

The Federal government's percent tax on a gallon of gas exceeds the oil companies' profit percentage. And feel free to add in your State's taxation per gallon. Plus, the federal government also taxes those profits earned by the oil companies. They are collecting money hand over foot off of these oil companies.

Let's see the latest results of government intervention:

- the ethanol mandate that is driving up food costs. Let's not mention the government corn subsidies, the fact that E85 fuel gives about 30% less fuel economy.

- the expansion of daylight savings time, that is consuming more energy because of increased lighting usage in the morning.

- the push for florescent light bulbs with the minor problem of their mercury content showing up in landfills.

Oh God, here we go again. :unsure:

Oh well. Better a congressman insures re-election, than the draining of the wallets of the citizenry... be sure to vote this November! :unsure:

Thank you, but when i go to the beach, i'd rather NOT stare at a dozen drill platforms sitting right off of the gulf coast.

theres plenty of drilling in the gulf...just not immediately offshore. i'm not sure what the mileage limit is.

Thank you, but when i go to the beach, i'd rather NOT stare at a dozen drill platforms sitting right off of the gulf coast.

Well, if it displeases the Ramius vacation experience, that's not selfish, it's righteous. Spock was so wrong when he quipped that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. :unsure:

Well, if it displeases the Ramius vacation experience, that's not selfish, it's righteous. Spock was so wrong when he quipped that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. ;)

Spock was wrong. He never considered the intelligence level of the "many." :unsure:

Any of you Floridians been to a game in Tampa? I am trying to make a trip to Tampa in the fall, to visit a friend, and was wondering if the game day experience at Raymond James is any good. I have never seen a game there, but it looks great on tv, if you like those new fangled stadiums.

Except that car companies want low gas prices.

But they don't want to retool for electric cars. They also don't want to lose the lucrative parts and service market that combustion vehicles create.

But they don't want to retool for electric cars. They also don't want to lose the lucrative parts and service market that combustion vehicles create.

That sounds like very objective reasoning. I am glad that you have accepted "Who Killed the Electric Car" without question.

:unsure:;):( You simply cannot be serious, right?