Soda Can Wealth Disparity

Good stuff - classic Onion.

According to economist and New York Times columnist Paul Krugman, people like Dorsey, who maintain an ultra-poor lifestyle that is vastly different from the rest of the population, are egregiously out of touch with the everyday economic realities of mainstream America.

"Dorsey is one of those select few who come from old can money," Krugman said. "They're just hoarding their assets so nobody else can benefit. And then they parade down the street with their carts full of recycling."

:oops:

If they're poor how can they afford non essential items like pop?

And on top of that, how can they afford soda?

:oops:

Seriously, tho, I know people who pick up redeemables while they're walking their doggies. It's a little $ (very little) and it beautifies the roads from asshats who can't be bothered to use refuse bins. They also pick up many more of the plastic water bottles; there should really be a deposit on those f--kers too.

FWIW, people who do that in bulk can make some coin. For an intro journalism class, I interviewed a guy who collected cans after football games at the U, and he said he collected ~ $200 worth after each game from the ground, in the garbage, etc. The low-rider-like sag in his beater sedan convinced me he was telling the truth. These are the times we live in.

Back in 1985(?) when deposits were started again on soda/beer, I would go to the state park down the road from my house, and collect the cans that people left in the trash the day before early in the morning. I probably made about $15/weekend for just a couple hours of work.

Seriously, tho, I know people who pick up redeemables while they're walking their doggies. It's a little $ (very little) and it beautifies the roads from asshats who can't be bothered to use refuse bins. They also pick up many more of the plastic water bottles; there should really be a deposit on those f--kers too.

FWIW, people who do that in bulk can make some coin. For an intro journalism class, I interviewed a guy who collected cans after football games at the U, and he said he collected ~ $200 worth after each game from the ground, in the garbage, etc. The low-rider-like sag in his beater sedan convinced me he was telling the truth. These are the times we live in.

I always love a post that includes the underused term "asshats."

I've tried to run the numbers on collecting recycling deposits in bulk, but they don't add up. By the time you factor in gas and truck rental, you can't make it profitable -- unless, of course, you have a buddy who is a mailman and can get use of the truck on Mother's Day. Then, it just might work.

I've tried to run the numbers on collecting recycling deposits in bulk, but they don't add up. By the time you factor in gas and truck rental, you can't make it profitable -- unless, of course, you have a buddy who is a mailman and can get use of the truck on Mother's Day. Then, it just might work.

Just got to look out for those disgruntled mechanics carrying JFK's golf clubs in your buddies car.