Youboty to join the Browns ?

"Yes, Buffalo's Ashton Youboty is a possibility. Buffalo has soured on the former Ohio State star, and the Bills have brought in veteran corner Will James and drafted three cornerbacks (including Akron's Reggie Corner). So he is available."

Can Youboty help? He's played in only 14 games in two pro seasons, and has not made much of an impact. He had the dreaded high-ankle sprain last season. In 2006, he had a rough rookie season as his mother died. He is only 23 and was a third-round pick in 2006. There was a feeling at OSU that he left school a year too early. He played for Browns defensive coordinator Mel Tucker at OSU, so Tucker will have a major say in how hard the Browns pursue him. Not speaking directly about Youboty, Savage said: "There is another Daven Holly out there, a guy another team has given up on him and can help us. We just have to find him."

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/05/b...waits_next.html

Speculation, of course, although I like Terry Pluto's work. He could be right this time, too -- I don't see Youboty making the team, and a trade would be an improvement over releasing him outright.

The Browns really need another CB, so it might be worthwhile. I doubt we get much more than a 5th for him at this point, though.

There is also a report that speculates that the Browns may dangle a linbacker like Andra Davis for Ashton. I will admit Davis had a bad year last year with only 64 tackles but the two previous years he was over 100 tackles each year. If their is any truth to this speculation he would be outstanding depth in an already deep linbacking corp and the Bills would be foolish to not pull the trigger on such a deal.

If their is any truth to this speculation he would be outstanding depth in an already deep linbacking corp and the Bills would be foolish to not pull the trigger on such a deal.

Let's not get too excited about our depth, while it is solid, I wouldn't say it's deep. It could use a piece or two to call it deep.

Seems logical. I just wonder if the Bills would rather see if maybe Youboty can show some progress since his back is against the wall instead of receiving the late-round pick.

I hope so. I would rather see them keep him & give him a chance, unless they get at least a 3rd for him.

The Browns really need another CB, so it might be worthwhile. I doubt we get much more than a 5th for him at this point, though.

If we get a 5th round draft pick for Ashton friggin' Youboty then I would be absolutely floored. And then I'd be wondering why we gave up on him, because Phil Savage is a good personnel man, and to give up a 5th means he values and sees something in Youboty we don't.

If we get a 5th round draft pick for Ashton friggin' Youboty then I would be absolutely floored. And then I'd be wondering why we gave up on him, because Phil Savage is a good personnel man, and to give up a 5th means he values and sees something in Youboty we don't.

I would be, too. I was being generous.

I see a player the Bills thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round, & by the way many reports had him going in the 2nd. His rookie year was derailed by his mom dying & the responsibility he took on with his younger siblings. Here was a young man, not even a senior in college, on his own for the first time, to accept that responsibility is VERY mature in my view. Last year when given the chance to play, I thought he did well. I would hate to see the Bills give up on him to soon.

There is also a report that speculates that the Browns may dangle a linbacker like Andra Davis for Ashton. I will admit Davis had a bad year last year with only 64 tackles but the two previous years he was over 100 tackles each year. If their is any truth to this speculation he would be outstanding depth in an already deep linbacking corp and the Bills would be foolish to not pull the trigger on such a deal.

Ain't gonna happen. The Browns are still high on Davis, and certainly see a role for him somewhere.

I see a player the Bills thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round, & by the way many reports had him going in the 2nd. His rookie year was derailed by his mom dying & the responsibility he took on with his younger siblings. Here was a young man, not even a senior in college, on his own for the first time, to accept that responsibility is VERY mature in my view. Last year when given the chance to play, I thought he did well. I would hate to see the Bills give up on him to soon.

Very well said. I agree.

Please. A mere 5th round pick for a player is not some showing of great confidence in a player but really is relative chump change as far as value goes.

Good players have to come from somewhere and the draft is one of those places. However, behind the marketing effort of the NFL and ESPN and Mel Kiper, the draft is greatly over-valued as an asset.

Yes good players are more likely to be drafted, but as seen with occaisional example of a Jason Peters its not impossible to find Pro Bowl talent that somehow never even get drafted. Its even more common to find players of the ilk of Mike Williams and Harrington who simply prove to be busts despite their top 5 player designation. Success of drafted players is heavily weighted toward first day choices and a 5th round pick is something easily parted with in exchange for a marginal talent if you have a real immediate need at a spot.

Yes, there are examples like the Bills finding two of their current stalwarts in the 5th round like Butler and Williams. However, one has to look long and hard to find much consistent contribution on the Bills beyond them from 5th round picks who tend to end up being more like former CB stalwart Sean King or failed project Ben Sobieski.

If all the Bills get from Savage is a 5th for Youbouty this is a huge admission of failure on our part.