Bills' Picks Are Growing On Me!

Which Round Do You Disagree With Most?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. In Which RD Do You Like a later-selected player more?

• Round 1
    • Round 2
    • Round 3
    • Round 4A
    • Round 4B
    • Round 5
    • Round 6
    • Round 7
    • I Like All The Bills' Choices Better

In Round 1, I like McKelvin better than the next 3 picks ( Clady, Ryan OT / Stewart, Jonathan RB / Williams, Chris OT).

In Round 2, I like Hardy better than the next 3 picks ( Royal, Eddie WR / Johnson, Tyrell FS/ Forte, Matt RB).

In Round 3, I like Chris Ellis better than the next 3 picks (Charles, Jamaal RB / Connor, Dan OLB / Smith, Reggie DB).

In Round 4, I like Reggie Corner better than the next 3 picks (Moore, Dre DT /Iwebema, Kenny DE / Demps, Quintin FS),

In Round 4, I like Derek Fine better than the next 3 picks ( Hale, David OT /Keglar, Stanford OLB / Sitton, Josh OT).

In Round 5, I like Alvin Bowen better than the next 3 picks (Powell, Carlton DT /Hightower, Tim RB /Giacomini, Breno OT ).

In Round 6, I like Xavier Omon better than the next 3 picks (Moore, Kareem DB /Hayden, Nick DT /Robinson, Kevin WR ).

RD7:

Demetrius Bell looks like a better pick than Barrett, Josh S/ Taylor, Hilee OLB / Adams, Chester OG

Steve Johnson looks like a better pick than Keith, Brandon OT /Schilens, Chaz WR /Hillis, Peyton FB

And who knows whether Kennard Cox is a better pick than Mr. Irrelevant?

I'd vote that I like all the Bills' picks better. I know some of you would probably choose Connor or Smith over Ellis in Round 3, and I know local boy Brandon Albert might have been a good choice in Round 1. Perhaps you'd choose Dre Moore over Corner in Round 4 (although the Bills must have considered Moore less value than existing DT's).

Now that you've had some time for the Bills' picks to soak in, where would you have picked differently given the subsequent picks made by other clubs?

3rd-Connor

4th-Moore

Can't really B word about a 7th but I like Barrett more

I think the reason the Bills went with DE over Connor is that they had ILB Poz coming back from injury and figure OLB Crowell grew up quick last year. Plus with Kawicka Mitchell, they had starters (plus DiGiorgio etc. who got on-field experience). They also knew they had to replace Hargrove's pass rush. It'd be fun having 2 guys from Linebacker U, though. Any idea how they got along?

I understand that Dre Moore interviewed poorly at the combine and workouts, and I think a lot of teams soured on a pretty good player. Barrett should do well with Denver, as Shanahan is looking for an "in the box" type safety. Barrett can bite on a fake more easily, so he's less of a Cover-2 safety, IMO.

As far as I know Royal, Eddie WR / Johnson, Tyrell FS/ Forte, Matt RB have not tried to kill their fathers.

Apparently you haven't been reading much on those three because all three of them have left red marks on people they know before, and "red-marking" is the gateway aggression to familial shooting sprees.

Apparently you haven't been reading much on those three because all three of them have left red marks on people they know before, and "red-marking" is the gateway aggression to familial shooting sprees.

Why do I have this feeling that you didn't have to tell crayonz that? As Fort Wayne goes -- so goes the rest of Indiana.

Astro...another great perspective from the TBD draft guru. There was at least some consensus around the Bills needs when they began the off-season..

1) Tall WR

2) Defensive Interior Line

3) Weakside LB

4) TE

5) Secondary help-particularly corner

6) Pass rush

7) FB

The Bills filled some needs in FA and got quality in the draft.

Main worries still are OL depth - but who really has this in the NFL

Ability to stop the run (Chargers, Jags and Steelers are the benchmark running games here) - Still have to prove it

Red Zone O- Bills have to prove they can score

Slow the Pats and Brows passing attack - have to prove the teams' corner depth can play

Pass rush--not sure the Bills have done enough here--but the interior push from Stroud and Johnson will help

I am excited and hopeful about who the Bills have obtained in FA and the draft and their ability to address these issues...The Bills have to start being competitive in big games and not get blown out -- those five blowouts -- 2 to the Pats, 1 to the Jags, 1 to Steelers , 1 to Giants showed they were not ready -- I expect the team to be competitive against the upper tier this year.

I can't see a name on you list that I would rather have than those the Bills drafted

In Round 1, I like McKelvin better than the next 3 picks ( Clady, Ryan OT / Stewart, Jonathan RB / Williams, Chris OT).

In Round 2, I like Hardy better than the next 3 picks ( Royal, Eddie WR / Johnson, Tyrell FS/ Forte, Matt RB).

In Round 3, I like Chris Ellis better than the next 3 picks (Charles, Jamaal RB / Connor, Dan OLB / Smith, Reggie DB).

In Round 4, I like Reggie Corner better than the next 3 picks (Moore, Dre DT /Iwebema, Kenny DE / Demps, Quintin FS),

In Round 4, I like Derek Fine better than the next 3 picks ( Hale, David OT /Keglar, Stanford OLB / Sitton, Josh OT).

In Round 5, I like Alvin Bowen better than the next 3 picks (Powell, Carlton DT /Hightower, Tim RB /Giacomini, Breno OT ).

In Round 6, I like Xavier Omon better than the next 3 picks (Moore, Kareem DB /Hayden, Nick DT /Robinson, Kevin WR ).

RD7:

Demetrius Bell looks like a better pick than Barrett, Josh S/ Taylor, Hilee OLB / Adams, Chester OG

Steve Johnson looks like a better pick than Keith, Brandon OT /Schilens, Chaz WR /Hillis, Peyton FB

I'd vote that I like all the Bills' picks better. I know some of you would probably choose Connor or Smith over Ellis in Round 3, and I know local boy Brandon Albert might have been a good choice in Round 1. Perhaps you'd choose Dre Moore over Corner in Round 4 (although the Bills must have considered Moore less value than existing DT's).

Now that you've had some time for the Bills' picks to soak in, where would you have picked differently given the subsequent picks made by other clubs?

Thanks, Astro. This is a very good post. Thanks for putting it into perspective. I'm starting to feel a lot better about Rounds 4-7; I'd already felt pretty good about 1-3 (I knew - KNEW - they were going to go DE in Round 3).

Gimme a break. Unless Hardy has been convicted of attempted murder on his dad and I just havent found out yet, give it a rest.

You make a good point. After all, this is America. Let me refine my statement.

As far as I know Royal, Eddie WR / Johnson, Tyrell FS/ Forte, Matt RB have not allegedly tried to kill their fathers.

Sweed over Hardy

I actually like the top two picks less as time progresses.

McKelvin can't be mentioned by anybody without reference to his return abilities. Thats great if we didn't already have two of the top ten kick and punt returners of all time. Most people say his ball skills are below average and judging by his 3 career interceptions I would have to lean in that direction. To put it simply, he looks a lot like Winfield, with more athleticism and less physicality. Is that worth the spot he was drafted in? Time will tell, I just remember a lot of people knocking a damn good corner in Winfield just because he couldn't catch the ball.

As for Hardy I have doubts about his character and ability. One quote in particular troubled me about his character, in reference to the incident with his father. It was something to the effect of "I need to stay out of Fort Wayne, because when I go to Fort Wayne bad things always seem to happen". I get what his point was, IE making smarter decisions about the places he goes and the people he hangs with, but he just doesn't strike me as somebody who understands personal accountability. He should be able to go home and not get in trouble. Fort Wayne is not why bad things are happening to him, it's his own decisions that are the reason bad things are happening to him. If he ends up being very successful will he stay grounded in terms of salary and his personal life? It's very difficult to say, but I would rather not have to entertain that question in the first place. As for his physical ability I've never seen much separation from him on tape, I've never seen the route running, or physicality needed at the next level. I'm very excited about what he brings to the red zone, but question what he can bring between the 20's.

I'm still very much in support of these players and hope they pan out. It's not as if I hold anything against them, I guess I'm just not as giddy as some of our other posters until I see more from both of them.

RD7:

Its nitpicking as no one besides the OBD crowd whether there were any serious offers, but as long as we are asking woulda/coulda/shoulda abstract questions, my preference still would have been for the Bills to trade down the #1 pick if at all possible for additional choices which MAY have allowed us to pick 2 top ranked WRs.

I think reality has already shown us that having Hardy as a make or break #2 WR starter is a dangerous thing based on accusations of behavioral issues. The situation was already dicey depending on our #2 WR to be injury free or we are forced to go with an inadequate player at #2 WR.

This already is a situation where based on virtually all the performances of rookie WRs Hardy will be doing well to even produce Peerless 07 numbers next year.

No one can reasonably fault the Bills as none of outsiders have any idea what potential deals were offered. However, in addition to this question requiring a departure from reality, there is what I think is a real fact that the Bills sent ot McKelvin pick to the front desk with time left on the clock for them to receive offers.