a thread about Tom Waits

just got 19th row tickets for his show here in Atlanta on July 5th.

does anyone else around here appreciate this genius of a musician?

his catalog is extensive and the style changes over the past 30+ years make it so its almost impossible to be just a "casual fan"

favorite albums? songs? stories?

anyone?

My first exposure to him was as an actor, since Jim Jarmusch loves the guy. He was in my favorite Jarmusch film, "Down By Law". I'm not all that familiar with his music, but I'm definitely wanting to delve into it a bit. Seems like a pretty cool guy.

My first exposure to him was as an actor, since Jim Jarmusch loves the guy. He was in my favorite Jarmusch film, "Down By Law". I'm not all that familiar with his music, but I'm definitely wanting to delve into it a bit. Seems like a pretty cool guy.

He also appeared in the Jarmusch film "Coffee and Cigarettes" along with a few other musicians and you could tell he is a natural. I don't know his catalog too extensively, but I am knowledgeable enough to know that he is referenced as being a major influence to some of my favorite bands/musicians. I have heard a few songs and the quote in my sig is courtesy of Mr. Waits.

I love Tom Waits. So many great songs and albums. I highly recommend this compilation for beginners who are curious. He has many great albums after this as well and he's still going strong.

By the way, I'm with ajzepp… Down By Law is one of the best movies ever made.

Just ordered that CD...thanks!

He also appeared in the Jarmusch film "Coffee and Cigarettes" along with a few other musicians and you could tell he is a natural. I don't know his catalog too extensively, but I am knowledgeable enough to know that he is referenced as being a major influence to some of my favorite bands/musicians. I have heard a few songs and the quote in my sig is courtesy of Mr. Waits.

And who could forget his role as the genius weapons inventor in Mystery Men?

And who could forget his role as the genius weapons inventor in Mystery Men?

:thumbsup:

Supposedly, much of the dialogue was improvised by the cast.

Tom Waits = Dr. Heller

Invisible Boy: So, this is basically a huge electromagnet.

Dr. Heller: Well, actually, it's an electro-nuclear-magnet. It's the next inevitable phase.

Heller: "No, no. I don't live here. I'm just here for the ladies." (at a nursing home)

Heller: "That's a high-temperature fabric adhesive liquid projector, based on simple dry-cleaning technology. You aim that at a guy, and I'll tell you something: his clothes get so tight he can't even breathe."

Heller: "I can trick that out with a clam-shell holster. It comes with a leather carrying case. It's got a wadcutter and a full warranty."

Shoveler: Doctor, you are a genius.

Dr. Heller: That's what the card says.

The john at one of my favorite bars has had "Tom Waits for no man" written on the wall for years...i chuckle every time...

Not as good as "Please stop throwing toothpicks in the toilet, the crabs have learned to pole vault" (which is written on another wall), but still quality.

:thumbsup: I scream-a, you scream-a, we all scream-a for ice cream-a! ;)

A couple of years ago, there was on tv and in print stories here, stories about some of the outlaying suburbs banning the ubiquitious "Good Humor" - type ice cream trucks.

I thought: "How petty! How selfish! How nasty! What a bunch of rich rotten Di*ks!". So did the media. They milked it.

Well let me tell you - last Summer, one pulled up my street. "Ting-a-ling, ting-a-ling, ting-a-ling-a-ling"?

NO!!!!

A screaming WA-Wa-WA-Wa-WA-Wa...WAAAA--WA-Wa-WA-Wa -RONK RONK RONK-WA-WA-WA Wa-Wa-Wa -RONKRONKRONK!!!!! It was like an amped-up smoke detector screaming its' 9v out.

Evidently this is the new requirement to yank the earholes of the Future Leaders of America away from fondling their Wii's, HDTV, pods and WiFi and make them waddle out and reload .

Wait until one of these Banshees shows up on your street. Your scream-a for ice cream will take a turn to the dark side. :blink:

just got 19th row tickets for his show here in Atlanta on July 5th.

does anyone else around here appreciate this genius of a musician?

his catalog is extensive and the style changes over the past 30+ years make it so its almost impossible to be just a "casual fan"

favorite albums? songs? stories?

anyone?

My favorite Waits' CD is Mule Variations and favorite song be

but most felt Hold On was the best track on the disk.

Vintage Tom Waits from Night Hawks at the Diner:

Monkey sh-- brown subaru

Coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself

I was standing on the corner of Fifth and Vermouth...

He had three or four songs in the soundtrack from Dead Man Walking

He may be the last of the beatnik/bohemians.

A couple of years ago, there was on tv and in print stories here, stories about some of the outlaying suburbs banning the ubiquitious "Good Humor" - type ice cream trucks.

I thought: "How petty! How selfish! How nasty! What a bunch of rich rotten Di*ks!". So did the media. They milked it.

Well let me tell you - last Summer, one pulled up my street. "Ting-a-ling, ting-a-ling, ting-a-ling-a-ling"?

NO!!!!

A screaming WA-Wa-WA-Wa-WA-Wa...WAAAA--WA-Wa-WA-Wa -RONK RONK RONK-WA-WA-WA Wa-Wa-Wa -RONKRONKRONK!!!!! It was like an amped-up smoke detector screaming its' 9v out.

Evidently this is the new requirement to yank the earholes of the Future Leaders of America away from fondling their Wii's, HDTV, pods and WiFi and make them waddle out and reload .

Wait until one of these Banshees shows up on your street. Your scream-a for ice cream will take a turn to the dark side. :unsure:

:blink::lol::wallbash:

Just a classic narrative Cincy!

:unsure:

"Evidently this is the new requirement to yank the earholes of the Future Leaders of America away from fondling their Wii's, HDTV, pods and WiFi and make them waddle out and reload."