Gas Prices affecting Memorial Day Travel Plans?

Exactly. Lets look at it this way, it's 157 miles from my house to One Bills Drive.

At 65 MPH, the speed limit on the Thruway, it will take about 2.41 hours.

At 70 MPH, it takes 2.24 hours, about 10 minutes savings.

At 75 MPH, 2.09 hours, about 20 minutes savings.

Not much of a savings for that distance.

That is what I was thinking.

Maybe across country... Then again... Your time would go by almost days!

Unless you can get a BIG jump in mpg... Heck mirrors on your car will take a few mpg's away... Now throw on the Thule or whatever (dead mother-in-law :unsure: )...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe across country... Then again... Your time would go by almost days!

Well, quick and dirty, Syracuse, NY to Hollywood, CA - 2,683 miles

65 mph - 41.27 hours

75 mph - 35.77 hours

I'm actually surprised there's only about a 6 hour difference.

Well, quick and dirty, Syracuse, NY to Hollywood, CA - 2,683 miles

65 mph - 41.27 hours

75 mph - 35.77 hours

I'm actually surprised there's only about a 6 hour difference.

Ya me too!

But how much money would that be? Most likely very contingent on what car you drive... I suppose there would be a big difference between a Civic and say a Jeep Wrangler... Then again, there might be a difference in a mountain pass at the end of November! Could turn into days without chains or whatever... :ph34r: But, that is immaterial... Just being funny, most of it is paved highway!

What's a couple 100 dollars if you are going that far in the first place? Everything can't be cut to the bone and everybody has to weigh it against their own situation... Ie: what they are hauling, towing, and or how safe it is...

Now I would glady pay 500 more for that trip and ride in my Chrysler Pacifica (takes + and above) to do a 2,600 + trip and almost 2 days in comfort and get there 6 hours faster! Difference is riding "Coach" v. "First Class."

Ya me too!

But how much money would that be? Most likely very contingent on what car you drive...

Well, the gas station at the bottom of our street is $3.85 today.

For our vehicles....

'05 Toyota Matrix, gets around 30mpg - $344.32

'98 Ford Ranger, about 20 mpg - $516.48

But like you said, weather, vehicle weight, towing, etc, can change alot. Also add in meals, lodging (unless you have co-pilots to drive also).

Well, the gas station at the bottom of our street is $3.85 today.

For our vehicles....

'05 Toyota Matrix, gets around 30mpg - $344.32

'98 Ford Ranger, about 20 mpg - $516.48

But like you said, weather, vehicle weight, towing, etc, can change alot. Also add in meals, lodging (unless you have co-pilots to drive also).

Thanks! Awesome you are doing the math! :ph34r::sick:

The Ford Ranger can obviously haul a lot more stuff... Well worth the price for transporting the stuff across country, IMO.

It's not even just about the speed. See a red light ahead? Take your foot off the gas and coast to a stop. At a red light? Don't gun it, just gradually increase your speed. Just avoiding the "jackrabbit" starts, which save 15 seconds on an average trip, can increase your gas mileage by 10-15%.

I've sort of made a game of it... I'm only a few miles from work so I'm mostly driving around town. I used to have to fill up roughly every week and half to two weeks. Now I have to fill up every three weeks. That adds up during the year.

It's not even just about the speed. See a red light ahead? Take your foot off the gas and coast to a stop. At a red light? Don't gun it, just gradually increase your speed. Just avoiding the "jackrabbit" starts, which save 15 seconds on an average trip, can increase your gas mileage by 10-15%.

I've sort of made a game of it... I'm only a few miles from work so I'm mostly driving around town. I used to have to fill up roughly every week and half to two weeks. Now I have to fill up every three weeks. That adds up during the year.

I agree with all you said.

Even better here in the midwest where it is totally flat! I could easily get 60k or more on a set of brakes... Also well over a couple 100k on a clutch.

:ph34r::sick:

Readers Digest had an article last month about Hypermiling. This month, there were people writing in about how some of their habits are dangerous to the other people on the road. For example, from the article linked to above....

Wayne shuts off the engine. Bearing down on an exit, he turns the wheel sharply to the right. The tires squeal, which is what they do when you take a 25 mph turn going 50.

Driving out, we come to the top of a small hill. Wayne says he's doing a forced auto stop, putting the car in neutral, turning off the engine and gliding. It's illegal in some places–you can lose your power brakes and steering–but it's a favorite hypermiling trick.

it's not one acute gassing, it's chronic gassing. If family A is only going one place all year, and takes the bus the rest of the year that is understandable, however that 20 dollar difference each week,(driving to work et cetera) over the course of the year will take a toll from their expendable money. and with many Americans living paycheck to paycheck and not seeing an increase in wages. The price of Gas does make a difference.

Your finally statement pretty much says it all, you're right, you shouldn't be making travel plans.

over the last ten years gas has gone from less than a dollar to 4. But have we seen wages follow this trend?

Readers Digest had an article last month about Hypermiling. This month, there were people writing in about how some of their habits are dangerous to the other people on the road. For example, from the article linked to above....

Wayne shuts off the engine. Bearing down on an exit, he turns the wheel sharply to the right. The tires squeal, which is what they do when you take a 25 mph turn going 50.

Driving out, we come to the top of a small hill. Wayne says he's doing a forced auto stop, putting the car in neutral, turning off the engine and gliding. It's illegal in some places–you can lose your power brakes and steering–but it's a favorite hypermiling trick.

Driving sensibly (no jack rabitting, no idling when in grocery store etc.) and hypermiling are different ofcourse. Hypermiling may be fine and dandy on a secluded back road in Montana, but is a traffic hindrance in Chicago. Biggest difference is ofcourse if you make a smart choice in the first place by buying a car only a bit bigger than you usually need.

I'm sure there are still laws on the books across the nation about putting a transmission in neutral. They hark from a time when braking systems were much less reliable and effective as today.

Shutting off the motor is of course a bad idea. Some of the hybrids do that, but loss of control power is accommodated.

Long ago in a galaxy far away, Saab had "freewheeling" on their 2-cycle Type 96 vehicles It also showed up on some of the V4 4-stroke motors.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=62298

One model year of the mid '80's VW 48 hp Rabbit diesels with automatic transmission had a feature called "E-Mode" (Economy). IIRC, it was also available on the Quantum turbo diesel.

When its' gear selector was in "E" rather that "D", the engine would return to idle when the accelerator was released (going downhill, braking, coasting).

It saved 3 or 4 MPG on an already high-mileage automatic transmission vehicle. You could move the selector to D if road conditions or personal preference warranted. There was an idiot-proof shroud covering the throttle cable in the engine compartment. Reason being that if you tweaked the throttle, it would run you down. :ph34r:

A rough analogy would be a centrifugal clutch as found on mo-peds, some lawn care equipment, and myriad industrial applications.

it's not one acute gassing, it's chronic gassing. If family A is only going one place all year, and takes the bus the rest of the year that is understandable, however that 20 dollar difference each week,(driving to work et cetera) over the course of the year will take a toll from their expendable money. and with many Americans living paycheck to paycheck and not seeing an increase in wages. The price of Gas does make a difference.

Your finally statement pretty much says it all, you're right, you shouldn't be making travel plans.

over the last ten years gas has gone from less than a dollar to 4. But have we seen wages follow this trend?

Wages have gone up over the long haul... Last 35 years.

Back when I was a child gas was $.50 a gallon... Our family income was only about 7k a year... Think about how some make now... Now take into consideration 2 incomes...

Say a well off-family makes about 120k... That's over 15 times... 15x .50 is $7.50 a gallon.. And that is low-balling...

Sure not everybody makes 120k combined... Say 40k a year... Maybe you have a point.

Gas is NOW outpacing inflation though.

but i don't spend all of my income on gas. All the other stuff I buy hasn't increased in price by 4.