"Real" Jim Kelly Autograph

It could actually be his, I suppose, but it only vaguely resembles any of the ones I have (all of which were obtained in person). At the very least, I'd want a clearer picture of the loop on the Y.

I certainly wouldn't buy it based on the pictures provided.

And who's Jerry Bradshaw? Terry's less-talented brother?

I don't know...looks pretty fishy to me too, just going off a pic of an autographed ball from Jim's site. (I have a Kelly autographed card that is in storage somewhere at my parents' house.)

Looking at this pic of an autographed ball on Jim's official site (click to enlarge) there seems to be a big difference in the "Jim" and the last name on the eBay ball looks like it was signed while Jim was driving on a bumpy road.

Just my two cents, but I'd pass on that eBay ball - but then again, I won't usually pay for an autographed item unless I am 100% of the seller's veracity and the authenticity of the item/signature.

I won't call myself an expert on autographs, but I am huge Bills collector, and over the years, have accumulated about 40 different Jim Kelly autograph items. Most are cards or flat items. I have obtained three of the autos myself, in person. One of the items I got autographed, during Kelly's first year in Buffalo, was a football. It was in the player parking lot, after a Jets game. I cherish the autographed ball, but the autograph is not one of the neatest I have ever seen.

The one in this picture could be very well be real (footballs are not the easiest thing to sign, particularly if the person signing is standing up). One thing you should know, if you are looking to buy a Kelly autograph, items from the heydey of his career (1989-1993) are more often than not signed with an "auto pen". Unless you trust the person you are buying from, I wouldn't trust most of these items. As Kelly got older (and one would presume his autograph wasn't in as much demand as it had been) he started signing more things by hand.

Now, in retirement, he does lots of card shows, and his real autograph can be obtained fairly easily. For me, if I am paying money for an autograph, even if I know it is real, I will pass, if it is a bad looking signature. At my job, I sign things all day. My signature gets more impressionistic as the day goes on. Take a look at some of the certified cards that Marshawn Lynch signs...the quality of his signature varys tremendously.

TMI?

Looks as real as a 3 dollar bill.

I have a bunch of Kelly autographs, I would view this with a grain of salt. I cant tell if it's there, but Kelly usually includes his number with his signature.

For all the kids out there, don't buy an autograph with out a certificate of authentication. Or at least posting it on her first of course because we're all experts. :devil: Looks like a dud to me.

CoA's are as worthless as the paper they are printed on.

In the same way that a marriage license is?

Or the same way a receipt for a pack of gum is?

In the same way that the person selling the bogus autograph is the same one filling out the CoA.

I don't own any autographs that I'm aware of. I've always preferred to get to chat w/ people for a bit as opposed to have them sign a piece of paper for me.

It works for some, though. My nephew has plans to frame his autograph of Barack Obama, obtained by his father, who got to interview Sen. Obama while he campaigned in Erie PA not long ago.

I don't own any autographs that I'm aware of. I've always preferred to get to chat w/ people for a bit as opposed to have them sign a piece of paper for me.

It works for some, though. My nephew has plans to frame his autograph of Barack Obama, obtained by his father, who got to interview Sen. Obama while he campaigned in Erie PA not long ago.

Did he call you "Sweetie," too?

Did he call you "Sweetie," too?

Kevin (RR's brother) is a pretty good-sized guy, as well as a damn fine reporter. I'm guessing he's not the type Obama would call "sweetie" ...

:thumbsup:

I hope I am not messing with one of you guys trying to make some money, but this http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Buffalo-Bills-Jim-...1QQcmdZViewItem looks pretty fishy to me.

I don't know...looks pretty fishy to me too, just going off a pic of an autographed ball from Jim's site. (I have a Kelly autographed card that is in storage somewhere at my parents' house.)

Looking at this pic of an autographed ball on Jim's official site (click to enlarge) there seems to be a big difference in the "Jim" and the last name on the eBay ball looks like it was signed while Jim was driving on a bumpy road.

Just my two cents, but I'd pass on that eBay ball - but then again, I won't usually pay for an autographed item unless I am 100% of the seller's veracity and the authenticity of the item/signature.

I doesn't look quite right to me, but all I can tell you is it is from before he went into the Hall Of Fame. Since that announcement, instead of '12', he's been using 'HOF 02'.

I'm 99% sure it's not a real Kelly autograph. I have a ball I had him sign in person at a charity event for his Hunter's hope charity. Email the guy and find out when he claims the ball was signed. As pointed out above and on my ball too he puts HOF 02. So if he claims it was signed after 2002 there's your answer.

Also look at the picture from Kelly's website. On my ball and on the picture from his site you'll see that there is a big loop at the end of the Y that goes under his name and that is missing from the Ebay ball. I think someone should contact Kelly's website and let them know about this.