Favorite Grocery Store?

Bluebull

Albertson's used to own ACME in the Philly area. Mgt (wy wife works at ACME corporate) was soooo glad when they got sold to Supervalu of Minnesota. Everything is getting better. Albertson's management was a mess.

Jewel is not that bad in ChicagoLand... They do use Albertson's line though with a Jewel brand name on it... Not sure if they are actually managed by Albertson's?

It does get annoying with the suggestive selling on the "buy of the day" at the register... Also, when they ask if you need help out... Sometimes I am pushing two carts, pouring rain and I still get offended when they ask! :unsure::blink:

Just treat me like dirt and I will be happy!

:lol:

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Publix in Florida. Some stores were great, some were terrrible - in that respect it reminded me of Tops mid-90's.

We shopped in Harris Teeter in the Raleigh area when we went to the Sabres-Canes ECF game in '06...I was amazed as how similar it was to Wegman's.

The Winn Dixie stores were also pretty bad. We had two or three nearby in Orlando and they all sucked.

The Albertson's I saw (and rarely patronized) in Florida were in the same areas as Publix and Winn Dixie stores yet they were still open for business, so I wonder how much is location. I'm sure location is a factor, but you'd think that the other chains in the same area would knock them out. Going into a Publix then going into an Albertson's were like night-and-day different - Public was like a real grocery store and Albertson's was like a bigger version of a highway gas station/convenience mart.

Strange irony... The BFLO area sucks commercially yet, they have palaces for supermarkets and only really two that get the market share.

Here in Illinois, we have about a dozen I can think of and then there is the local supermarkets.

WNY's priorities are really screwed up!

Strange irony... The BFLO area sucks commercially yet, they have palaces for supermarkets and only really two that get the market share.

Here in Illinois, we have about a dozen I can think of and then there is the local supermarkets.

WNY's priorities are really screwed up!

Why are WNY's priorities screwed up because two local chains have a higher market share than mom-and-pop stores or individual chain stores from outside the region?

Why are WNY's priorities screwed up because two local chains have a higher market share than mom-and-pop stores or individual chain stores from outside the region?

Just joking... At least they can get bang up supermarkets in the area! I am just not that impressed by stuff like that... I am more nostalgic I guess. If I want good produce, I go to the farm stand. (actually, Walt's supermarket is good for produce here in the south area and NW Indiana).

Just my wise-arse 2 cents!

• 2 months later...

Finally made it to the new Wegmans. Only had a few minutes to do a quick walk through but it was very impressive!

I have friends in Woodbridge and I do some work up here( I live in Richmond) so I'm looking forward to going when it opens. Whole foods and Traders Joes are opening in Richmond later this year and that will have to do as Wegmans has no plans for Richmond.

An open letter to Wegman's:

Dear Wegman family,

I am a resident of the Cleveland area. I have been to your Hamburg/McKinley Mall store in Western New York. That is the best grocery store I have ever been in.

Since your nearest store to me is in Erie, and because Tops has totally left this area, do you think you can see your way a couple more hours down Interstate 90? I know one prime former Tops location that is still empty in North Olmsted, a store Tops built less than a decade ago.

In other words, Please Come to Cleveland!

Dear Wegman family,

I am a resident of the Cleveland area. I have been to your Hamburg/McKinley Mall store in Western New York. That is the best grocery store I have ever been in.

Since your nearest store to me is in Erie, and because Tops has totally left this area, do you think you can see your way a couple more hours down Interstate 90? I know one prime former Tops location that is still empty in North Olmsted, a store Tops built less than a decade ago.

Dear Mike,

Not a snowball's chance in hell. :thumbsup:

Sincerely,

Wegman's

Dear Wegman family,

I'll second this.

Although the "new" Acme Fresh Market isn't too bad of a store...not Wegman's good, but not bad (certainly better than Tops.)

I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

Who do think Wegman's is higher than? From the limited time I'm in WNY every year it seems they are much lower on most items than Tops, and I can tell you they are lower on a lot of things than most of the stores around here (Giant Eagle and Acme.)

Not a WNY thing. Since they've come to VA, there is no store better.

Again... What is it about WNY's obsession with grocery stores? It is a friggan' supermarket... :worthy:B-)

Quite a myth has revovled around this and what WNY has to offer food storewise...

:cry:;)

I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

When Tops was around here I compared prices several times and Wegmans was always cheaper.

Again... What is it about WNY's obsession with grocery stores? It is a friggan' supermarket... :worthy:B-)

Quite a myth has revovled around this and what WNY has to offer food storewise...

Have you ever been to a Wegmans?

When Tops was around here I compared prices several times and Wegmans was always cheaper.

Have you ever been to a Wegmans?

Of course... I grew up and lived my first 25 years in WNY... Go back home every other month or more...

I have this argument with my wife (she is from Lackawanna) all the time and how she buys into this group think that WNY supermarkets are the cat's meow... IT IS A PHUCKING SUPERMARKET!

Geesh! It is all about "breads and circuses"... I just don't get hung up on the "circuses." I buy my food and get the hell out!

:worthy:

Who do think Wegman's is higher than? From the limited time I'm in WNY every year it seems they are much lower on most items than Tops, and I can tell you they are lower on a lot of things than most of the stores around here (Giant Eagle and Acme.)

BJ's, Aldi, Walmart, and even Tops. Now, it would be hard to classify any of them, other than Tops, as a Supermarket, but they are places we buy groceries. I can't tell you what items at tops are cheaper than Wegmans but we can get a cart of groceries at Tops for literally half the price of Wegmans.

BJ's, Aldi, Walmart, and even Tops. Now, it would be hard to classify any of them, other than Tops, as a Supermarket, but they are places we buy groceries. I can't tell you what items at tops are cheaper than Wegmans but we can get a cart of groceries at Tops for literally half the price of Wegmans.

Walmart is going to be cheaper than almost everyone, and not just in groceries. I find it hard to make a serious comparison between BJ's (a wholesale/warehouse club) and Wegman's, and having been in a few Aldi's I don't thik I would even shop there, let alone try to comparison shop.

I honestly don't know how the bolded part is possible, unless maybe it's shopping the sale ads and specialty items. When we still lived in WNY we always found it to be the opposite - we never spent anywhere near as much at Wegman's as we did at Tops. Now, when we come back into town we don't set foot in Tops unless we have no other choice. I can tell you that when we moved to the Cleveland area Tops was still here, and pretty much across the board had higher prices than Giant Eagle, which is the dominant chain in this area (and is way higher than Wegman's.)

Why does it bother you so much?