Favorite Grocery Store?

Bluebull

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choices out in the NW are actually pretty few.

Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger. Probably the best of the bunch.

Safeway is expensive and has average selection.

QFC is owned by Kroger and more expensive than Fred Meyer, with less of a selection.

There are a few Top stores (not to be confused with Tops) and Albertson's. People avoid these like the plague if they can.

I've been out here for two years and still haven't gone to the Trader Joe's out on 156th in Bellevue. I guess I should go.

Trader Joe's stores are worth checking out. They have a lot of organic and "kosher" foods there. It's a nice alternative. Have about the same prices as Fred Meyer. I haven't seen a store around here that has fresher produce than Fred Meyer. Albertson's is THE worst store around. Their staff are rude, their selection sucks and their stores are grimy.

Trader Joe's stores are worth checking out. They have a lot of organic and "kosher" foods there. It's a nice alternative. Have about the same prices as Fred Meyer. I haven't seen a store around here that has fresher produce than Fred Meyer. Albertson's is THE worst store around. Their staff are rude, their selection sucks and their stores are grimy.

Jewel is owned by Albertson's here... I kinda like the grimy, Ed Debevic's (rudness) approach... Insult me all you want! I am in there to friggan grocery shop and get out!

:unsure:

Anyway, did anyone mention Whole Foods?

Jewel is owned by Albertson's here... I kinda like the grimy, Ed Debevic's (rudness) approach... Insult me all you want! I am in there to friggan grocery shop and get out!

Or Winco? :blink:

Do you mean Whole Paycheck?

QFT.

Albertson's is also in Florida, and when we lived in Tallahassee and Orlando there was no way we'd shop there unless we absolutely had no other choice. Even the Winn Dixie stores were better than Albertson's, and Winn Dixie is disgusting.

QFT.

Albertson's is also in Florida, and when we lived in Tallahassee and Orlando there was no way we'd shop there unless we absolutely had no other choice. Even the Winn Dixie stores were better than Albertson's, and Winn Dixie is disgusting.

You guys are wimps!

:blink::lol:

It builds immunity!

Ya! It build's character!

:blink::lol:

Seriously... I must be an easy consumer to treat like crap!

I just don't understand how a store stays open with high prices, bad service, terrible selection, and a "piss on the customer" attitude from management.

QFT.

Albertson's used to own ACME in the Philly area. Mgt (wy wife works at ACME corporate) was soooo glad when they got sold to Supervalu of Minnesota. Everything is getting better. Albertson's management was a mess.

Wow. Never thought anyone would actaully have to ask that question.

Dude, only one choice for Upstate/Western NY.

dumbest question ever.

Wegmans is the greatest chain grocery store in the world.

'Nuff said.

i for one, like to shop at Tops

I take full advantage of the Gas program (every $100 spent saves you 10 cents a gallon). so if you have a family and are spending $100+ a week like me, when its time to fill up you get like 50 or 60 cents off per gallon.

With gas prices the way they are, how could you shop anywhere else?

It may not be as fancy as Wegmans, but who really cares? Dont you just want to get your groceries and get out?

By the way, its locally owned again and bringing jobs to the WNY community.

Ill stick with Tops

Where's the sadly shaking head emoticon?

( In my best Homer Simpson) MMM, dumpster breads!!

Giant Eagle (here in Ohio and Pennsylvania) has the same program, but they give you 10 cents off for each $50 you spend (vs. Tops' $100) and they run deals where they double the Gas Perks on gift cards sold in store. Right now we have about $1.30 in gas savings but whenever we shop somewhere else - like going to Toys R Us for stuff for our son - we stop at GE to get the gift card and earn the fuel perks, so it adds up quick. Our receipt showed we saved a couple hundred bucks using the program last year.

I worked in Tops for a long time and to me there is no comparison - Wegman's blows Tops out of the water in just about everything - quality, prices, shopping environment.

Looking at the Wiki entry for Tops, it says that Morgan Stanley Private Equity bought the Tops chain from Ahold. Are they a local subsidiary of Morgan Stanley? I have no problem with Wegman's being Rochester-owned.

'Nuff said again.

Every time I walk into a Tops, I feel like I need to bathe after I walk out. Plus, they seem to be so poorly run that everything takes longer, from finding what I need, to checking out. Plus, Wegman's seems to have much higher quality produce, seafood, meats, baked good, etc., and their prices on staples are usually cheaper or at least competitive w/Tops.

In fact, Wegman's would probably be the best grocery store I know, if only NYS would wake up & let them sell wine here.

Everybody sing now; Topps never mops, just look at their floors!

Wegmans put its first store in NJ in my town. We had moved here about 4 years earlier. We kept telling our friends about what they were in for. They probably thought we were nuts. Hell, I am nuts. But when that store opened it absolutely rocked the area. A few of the bigger chains have come in to compete. Wegmans doesn't dominate like they do in WNY, but they have about 5 stores in NJ now. Oh, and they all sell wine, beer and spirits too. I like Wegmans in Jersey. :unsure:

Give it time. It will happen.

For day to day shopping I much prefer Tops. Wegmans is set up so terribly for someone who isn't doing a full "every aisle" shopping trip. The store is like a !@#$ing maze and is way too "busy". Tops is a giant square, with normal aisles (Wegmans has weird half-aisles everywhere) and things are in logical places.

That said, I would never buy things like steak, fish, or a sub from Tops. Those things I go to Wegmans for.

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded. - Yogi Berra

in WNY, the answer is Wegmans, hands down. I'll admit Tops has invested in it's stores, mostly emulating Wegman's model and they're pretty good, but not in the same class as Wegmans. I also think you almost always pay more at a superstore like Wegmans than you do at a small store with less frills, specialty items and overall choice. Probably because your're paying for all that extra stuff.

In New England, Super Stop & Shop is close to Wegmans. Market Basket is yes, like going back in time, but it's way cheaper.

Out west, Safeway totally rocks, they're the best grocery store I've ever been in.

Every time I've compared random prices Wegmans has been cheaper. The Topps is cheaper thoughts are just myths.

no....but you can kill a cow and ring him out

More Cowbell!

The strange thing about Wegmans is, the prices are still competitive or lower. I've never found something significantly higher priced at Wegmans. A friend of mine used to swear by Tops, saying it was far cheaper...so I gave it another shot and planned to do all of my grocery shopping there. There wasn't a single item cheaper than what I paid at Wegmans, including milk and OJ...so I left and went back to Wegmans.

Somehow, even the non-super Wegmans like the one in Henrietta, NY are better than anything I've encountered anywhere else.

Exactly!

I just don't understand how a store stays open with high prices, bad service, terrible selection, and a "piss on the customer" attitude from management.

Location!

I agree with the assertions that Albertson's is horrible. Winn Dixie would do better if their customer service improved, but there's zero chance of that happening. I just moved to Charlotte and there is a Harris Teeter walking distance for me (Location!). They remind me of Wegman's in many ways but price and customer service are off a bit. They have great selection and the place is spotless. The CS is only lacking in that there aren't ever enough lines open. They have the self-serve checkout, but I usually have beer/wine so that does me no good. The prices are high, but they have the cards so that you can get the specials. Apparently Wegman's has decided to stop at Virginia, much to my dismay. They'd tear this place up if Danny would make the move.

I LOVED Publix in FL. They had everything I needed and the folks working there were great. One lady in the bakery always took care of me. She made kimmelweck rolls for me a couple of times. I really miss buying pizza dough. I guess I'll have to buy a bread-maker.

Location!

I agree with the assertions that Albertson's is horrible. Winn Dixie would do better if their customer service improved, but there's zero chance of that happening. I just moved to Charlotte and there is a Harris Teeter walking distance for me (Location!). They remind me of Wegman's in many ways but price and customer service are off a bit. They have great selection and the place is spotless. The CS is only lacking in that there aren't ever enough lines open. They have the self-serve checkout, but I usually have beer/wine so that does me no good. The prices are high, but they have the cards so that you can get the specials. Apparently Wegman's has decided to stop at Virginia, much to my dismay. They'd tear this place up if Danny would make the move.

I LOVED Publix in FL. They had everything I needed and the folks working there were great. One lady in the bakery always took care of me. She made kimmelweck rolls for me a couple of times. I really miss buying pizza dough. I guess I'll have to buy a bread-maker.

I liked Publix in Florida. Some stores were great, some were terrrible - in that respect it reminded me of Tops mid-90's.

We shopped in Harris Teeter in the Raleigh area when we went to the Sabres-Canes ECF game in '06...I was amazed as how similar it was to Wegman's.

The Winn Dixie stores were also pretty bad. We had two or three nearby in Orlando and they all sucked.

The Albertson's I saw (and rarely patronized) in Florida were in the same areas as Publix and Winn Dixie stores yet they were still open for business, so I wonder how much is location. I'm sure location is a factor, but you'd think that the other chains in the same area would knock them out. Going into a Publix then going into an Albertson's were like night-and-day different - Public was like a real grocery store and Albertson's was like a bigger version of a highway gas station/convenience mart.