Favorite Grocery Store?

Bluebull

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loblaws is a Canadian company. They changed their WNY store names to "Food Arena" in the late '60's. S&H Green Stamps was their sales shtick.

AFAIK, the Bell's chain arose out of the old I.G.A. (Independent Grocer's Association). Red Stamps IIRC - maybe Plaid Stamps. I forget which.

Rockpile knows a lot about the WNY food biz...perhaps he will chime in.

I thought Bell's arose out of Loblaws... My family worked at the Genesee St. warehouse and if I recall, Loblaw's was still the name in WNY in the early 70's (remember the NHL hockey sticker books in 76'-'77ish??)

:censored::lol:

My mother then went on to work for PJ Schmidt (started on Genesee and then moved to offices @ West Seneca) which spawned off of Loblaws...

Right?

I thought Bell's arose out of Loblaws... My family worked at the Genesee St. warehouse and if I recall, Loblaw's was still the name in WNY in the early 70's (remember the NHL hockey sticker books in 76'-'77ish??)

My mother than went on to work for PJ Schmidt (started on Genesee and then moved to offices @ West Seneca) which spawned off of Loblaws...

Right?

Correction... That was Bailey Street! The warehouse (and main offices) for Loblaws that is... Then PJS to the new Genessee warehouse near the airport and offices in West Seneca.

Don't forget ACME and Bells

We just had a few ACME stores open up here in the Cleveland area...there has been a serious lack of competition for Giant Eagle since Tops sold off and closed all their markets in NE Ohio. So far the wife has nothing but good things to say about them...

Wegmans is the greatest chain grocery store in the world.

What he said.

My mother then went on to work for PJ Schmidt (started on Genesee and then moved to offices @ West Seneca) which spawned off of Loblaws...

Right?

The Bells stores were eventually sold out to Quality Markets. Over time many locations were closed (the one at Delaware & Sheridan has since been torn down and replaced with a strip plaza).

Bells also had a secondary chain of stores for the "smaller" stores- there was one in Fredonia.

Super Duper became Jubilee Markets. There are still stores scattered in the Erie/ Niagara County areas but not the market force that Tops/ Wegmans is. The Kenmore Avenue (Buffalo) location was closed and is now a Budweys market.

Right?

No - Loblaws and the Bells' outfits were competitors. IRC, the Bell's name spread slowly, as they bought up or lent the name to smaller stores and delis. Many were originally, privately-owned Mom 'n Pops who initially joined the I.G.A. (IGA was jokingly referred to back then as "I Gyp Anyone", because their prices could not compete with the likes of A&P and Loblaws).

I know about Schmidt - I'd wager your Mom and me know a few names in common.

Hop into Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine...Red&White stores. :worthy:

i for one, like to shop at Tops

I take full advantage of the Gas program (every $100 spent saves you 10 cents a gallon). so if you have a family and are spending $100+ a week like me, when its time to fill up you get like 50 or 60 cents off per gallon.

With gas prices the way they are, how could you shop anywhere else?

It may not be as fancy as Wegmans, but who really cares? Dont you just want to get your groceries and get out?

By the way, its locally owned again and bringing jobs to the WNY community.

Ill stick with Tops

No - Loblaws and the Bells' outfits were competitors. IRC, the Bell's name spread slowly, as they bought up or lent the name to smaller stores and delis. Many were originally, privately-owned Mom 'n Pops who initially joined the I.G.A. (IGA was jokingly referred to back then as "I Gyp Anyone", because their prices could not compete with the likes of A&P and Loblaws).

I know about Schmidt - I'd wager your Mom and me know a few names in common.

Hop into Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine...Red&White stores. :worthy:

I was still young and don't fully remember... My uncles worked at the Bailey warehouse for Schmidt... I thought that was Loblaws at first?? Did Loblaw's get bought out?

My mother than started in 1979 for the offices at Bailey (Schmidt), she was an accountant (go figure where I got my money sense? :lol: )

Now, as I mentioned the NHL sticker books around '76 (the year the Caps and KC Scouts, now the NJ Devils came into the league)... I am pretty sure my uncles worked at the Loblaw's Bailey warehouse because my brother and I filled up a zillion books! Go figure! I can't find ONE of those gems today! :censored:

Is that like Meijer in the Midwest? Very Wegman's-esque... They are based out of Grand Rapids I think?

Nah, they are kind of like Kroger. I think Kroger owns them? F.M. stores are only located in the NW, I believe. :censored:

My first job was at Dubel's in the deli! :censored: At Como/AppleTree Mall... Still young and remember them at both locations in West Seneca... Still rememeber how they would give you a tab on your grocery bill and Mr. Dubel's account book... My mom would also shop Harvest The Best in West Seneca on Union too!

i for one, like to shop at Tops

I take full advantage of the Gas program (every $100 spent saves you 10 cents a gallon). so if you have a family and are spending $100+ a week like me, when its time to fill up you get like 50 or 60 cents off per gallon.

With gas prices the way they are, how could you shop anywhere else?

It may not be as fancy as Wegmans, but who really cares? Dont you just want to get your groceries and get out?

By the way, its locally owned again and bringing jobs to the WNY community.

Ill stick with Tops

wow thats awesome, does anyone else here take advantage of that program?????

Ill check out Tops for sure

My first job was at Dubel's in the deli! :censored: At Como/AppleTree Mall... Still young and remember them at both locations in West Seneca... Still rememeber how they would give you a tab on your grocery bill and Mr. Dubel's account book... My mom would also shop Harvest The Best in West Seneca on Union too!

I remember that moniker.

I've talked to Exiled via PM before and his uncle knew my father (I remember hearing his uncle's name mentioned). The Dubels Bells store at the Como Mall was where we went.

My father worked at the Peter J Schmidt warehouse from 1961 until he retired in 1988. Schmidt franchised Bells and the warehouse was on Broadway near the Thruway. Loblaws was a Canadian company (William Shatner did commercials for them in the early 70s (between jobs). They had their warehouse across from the airport on Genesee - my uncle (mother's brother ) worked there. They both eventually were bought by a big conglomerate .

In the 70s, the Loblaws name was dropped and all the warehouse facilities moved to Genese St.