Favorite Grocery Store?

Bluebull

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:worthy:

One of my mother's jobs growing up was at Dunkin Donuts... On Union in North Cheektowaga, past the Airport Plaza if I recall... But anyway, she would work the graveyard shift and it would break her heart how many donuts they would have to throw out... She would pack them up and deliver them to all the neighbors on their door step before they got up and went to work!

:censored::lol:

i for one, like to shop at Tops

I take full advantage of the Gas program (every $100 spent saves you 10 cents a gallon). so if you have a family and are spending $100+ a week like me, when its time to fill up you get like 50 or 60 cents off per gallon.

With gas prices the way they are, how could you shop anywhere else?

Giant Eagle (here in Ohio and Pennsylvania) has the same program, but they give you 10 cents off for each $50 you spend (vs. Tops' $100) and they run deals where they double the Gas Perks on gift cards sold in store. Right now we have about $1.30 in gas savings but whenever we shop somewhere else - like going to Toys R Us for stuff for our son - we stop at GE to get the gift card and earn the fuel perks, so it adds up quick. Our receipt showed we saved a couple hundred bucks using the program last year.

It may not be as fancy as Wegmans, but who really cares? Dont you just want to get your groceries and get out?

I worked in Tops for a long time and to me there is no comparison - Wegman's blows Tops out of the water in just about everything - quality, prices, shopping environment.

By the way, its locally owned again and bringing jobs to the WNY community.

Ill stick with Tops

Looking at the Wiki entry for Tops, it says that Morgan Stanley Private Equity bought the Tops chain from Ahold. Are they a local subsidiary of Morgan Stanley? I have no problem with Wegman's being Rochester-owned.

My first job was at Dubel's in the deli! :censored: At Como/AppleTree Mall... Still young and remember them at both locations in West Seneca... Still rememeber how they would give you a tab on your grocery bill and Mr. Dubel's account book... My mom would also shop Harvest The Best in West Seneca on Union too!

My mom and dad are real good friends with the Dubel's. Small world.

My buddy in Danbury keeps trying to tell me how great Stew Leonard's is. He makes it sound like part grocery store/part theme park.

It's worth the trip. :censored:

Where are the rest of the CT/Westchester people? Moose? Pete?

i for one, like to shop at Tops

I take full advantage of the Gas program (every $100 spent saves you 10 cents a gallon). so if you have a family and are spending $100+ a week like me, when its time to fill up you get like 50 or 60 cents off per gallon.

With gas prices the way they are, how could you shop anywhere else?

It may not be as fancy as Wegmans, but who really cares? Dont you just want to get your groceries and get out?

By the way, its locally owned again and bringing jobs to the WNY community.

Ill stick with Tops

Are they one of the "card" places, that want your name, address, and phone# in exchange for discounts on some items?

Are they one of the "card" places, that want your name, address, and phone# in exchange for discounts on some items?

wegmans has a card too...

actaully what grocery store doenst have a card?

except aldi or walmart

Only if you don't count Stew Leonard's as a chain. I think there are only 4 of them.
My buddy in Danbury keeps trying to tell me how great Stew Leonard's is. He makes it sound like part grocery store/part theme park.

There's one I drive by sometimes when heading down to NYC, always thought about stopping, haven't yet.

I take full advantage of the Gas program (every $100 spent saves you 10 cents a gallon).

Price Chopper has the same program with Sunoco in Syracuse, but it's 10 cents for every $50.

nothing beats Wegmans...I nearly wept the first time I stepped foot into a Shaw's in New England. I can stomach Hannaford, but now my wife does all of the grocery shopping. If Wegmans was here, I'd actually go myself.

Consumer Reports Supermarket Ratings

Out of 50 some chains (I think), Wegman was #1...Tops was dead last

nothing beats Wegmans...I nearly wept the first time I stepped foot into a Shaw's in New England. I can stomach Hannaford, but now my wife does all of the grocery shopping. If Wegmans was here, I'd actually go myself.

Consumer Reports Supermarket Ratings

Out of 50 some chains (I think), Wegman was #1...Tops was dead last

With all the food retailers, top 50 is pretty good. We just happen to have 2 top notch grocery stores in the same region.

However, I would like to see a more up to date one...a lot can change in 3 years.

Tops has climbed i bet, they have made some significant changes since that consumer report.

Every time I walk into a Tops, I feel like I need to bathe after I walk out. Plus, they seem to be so poorly run that everything takes longer, from finding what I need, to checking out. Plus, Wegman's seems to have much higher quality produce, seafood, meats, baked good, etc., and their prices on staples are usually cheaper or at least competitive w/Tops.

In fact, Wegman's would probably be the best grocery store I know, if only NYS would wake up & let them sell wine here.

With all the food retailers, top 50 is pretty good. We just happen to have 2 top notch grocery stores in the same region.

However, I would like to see a more up to date one...a lot can change in 3 years.

Tops has climbed i bet, they have made some significant changes since that consumer report.

I wouldn't say top 50 is good - I can't think of a single major retailer that isn't on that list. Being behind "Food Lion" is not a good thing. Trust me.

I wouldn't say top 50 is good - I can't think of a single major retailer that isn't on that list. Being behind "Food Lion" is not a good thing. Trust me.

i see your point, but that is 3 years old...

Tops has made strides and is in the process of doing even more. New ownership and a huge overhaul. Every store is going to be conscious of the neighborhood they are in and carry products that people there want. No longer a corporate afterthought ran by some offshore grocery monster. theres been some really interesting articles written recently, ill try to find them.