Check out the 1st rd in the 2005 draft..., you know,

anyone remember that ridiculous publicity stunt that donahoe and wilson pulled the day of that draft?

they marched JP out to the media as if he was their 2005 first round pick and made all these corny remarks about the "pick"......it was over the top and really embarrassing

i'm still waiting for them to introduce the bills 2004 second round pick

Honestly have to see how aaron rodgers turns out before comparing not having a 1st rd pick. Some talented players taken though. Chris Spencer/Heath Miller/Marlin Jackson. sh-- even roddy white looks like an up and coming receiver. Mike Patterson is a nice player. What irks me is that I was a big Justin Tuck fan, and well I figured we could grab him in the 2nd rd, and instead we grab a good pr, with our 1st pick in that draft, who in the end turned out to be our only productive player from that draft. Donahoe :lol:

Ware over Merriman? Are you on crack?

Ware is every bit as good as merriman. Maybe better when you take into account, he's had less talent around him then merriman has. It's not that cut and dry as "he's on crack"

Season Team G Solo Ast Total Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD DefTD FFum PD Sfty

Career 48 166 49 215 33.5 245 1 41 1 2 12 10 0- Demarcus Ware

Career 42 146 42 188 39.5 235 1 10 0 0 8 18 0- Shawne Merriman

Pretty damn compareable if I don't say so myself. Both are great players, and personally I would take him over Merriman. If that means I'm smoking crack. I'll now go continue to hit the pipe. :lol:

Ware over Merriman? Are you on crack?

Ware is every bit as good as merriman. Maybe better when you take into account, he's had less talent around him then merriman has. It's not that cut and dry as "he's on crack"

Career 48 166 49 215 33.5 245 1 41 1 2 12 10 0- Demarcus Ware

Career 42 146 42 188 39.5 235 1 10 0 0 8 18 0- Shawne Merriman

Pretty damn compareable if I don't say so myself. Both are great players, and personally I would take him over Merriman.

If that means I'm smoking crack. I'll now go continue to hit the pipe. ;)Keep in mind that another suspension for Merriman would drop his stock considerably. I stand by what I said, I'd take Ware first. He'd make our defense incredible, he has been compared to be the next coming of Lawence Taylor. How in the world could you not want a player like that on your team?!

in 2004 i wanted to wait a year to take a QB and pick Jason Campbell out of Auburn. I still think he'll be a good QB.

but that wouldve turned into waiting 2 years by the time you develop him, and well, bledsoe had to go.

I guess in hindsight if we were to torch a draft this was the one to do it. If Losman is called to duty because of injury to Edwards and does an admirable job then that would take some of the sting out of this pick.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/07/...st-round-busts/

How did we do? Seeing that this was a big part of the compensation for the trade up for JP Losman. There sure were alot of busts in that rd. If I could pick a player out of there I would take DeMarcus Ware.

Looks like the trade for JP was'nt so bad even if he is on the bench now. We probably would have gotten one of those busts if we did'nt trade for him.

Ware is the best Defender, Edwards and Brown are no slouches!

Looks like the trade for JP was'nt so bad even if he is on the bench now. We probably would have gotten one of those busts if we did'nt trade for him.

Ware is the best Defender, Edwards and Brown are no slouches!

or we couid have drafted someone else in the 2004 draft instead of Losman.

I thought that I might better show the 2nd rd from the 2004 draft as well so the whole scope of the trade up could be evaluated more accurately. Once again it looks like that there wasn't alot of blue chip players taken in that rd except for one big time player and that is S Bob Sanders who was taken one pick after our slotted pick.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft...d=round1#round2

What a pathetic year for talent that was! S Sanders would have been nice....

Though we could have taken Tommie Harris (instead of Evans) and still got Bernard Berrian in the third! The trade for Losman was the right thing at the time.... We just handled the QB's badly.

What a pathetic year for talent that was! S Sanders would have been nice....

Though we could have taken Tommie Harris (instead of Evans) and still got Bernard Berrian in the third! The trade for Losman was the right thing at the time.... We just handled the QB's badly.

I agree that JPL was handled badly.....and that the injury as a rookie would have hurt him as well......but there are extremely few QBs who pan out from being drafted in the 'non-upper echelon' 1st round slots. The average is pathetic.

IMO the trade to grab JPL was a terrible move......it showed both desperation & arrogance.

Though we could have taken Tommie Harris (instead of Evans) and still got Bernard Berrian in the third!

And made ourselves contenders immediately.

Instead we drafted "skill" players early at a much higher priority than the best teams do, and sat under .500.

In 2008 if Marcus Stroud has a season like his last 2, we'll once again be a league laughingstock against the run and all the freaking skill players we "had to have" will be rendered moot by their lack of time on the field.

.....Instead we drafted "skill" players early at a much higher priority than the best teams do, and sat under .500......

Ah, this old chestnut again......this assumption of yours remains incorrect & it matters not how many times you put it forward it will always remain incorrect. The Pats & Eagles support it.....but the Colts & Steelers disprove it.

Over the past 6 seasons the top 10 teams(based upon wins) are.....Pats & Colts being obviously the best over that span.

NE 75

IND 73

PHI 61

PIT 60

DEN 59

S.D. 58

SEA 58

GB 57

DAL 52

TEN 52

If we count skills players as DB/WR/RB......and you are obviously comparing them to Linemen......the percentage of Skills players to Linemen over the past 10 years of 1st rounders is as follows.....Bills being 70%.....

NE 29%

IND 83%

PHI 29%

PIT 72%

DEN 50%

S.D. 86%

SEA 40%

GB 60%

DAL 50%

TEN 80%