Boy am I depressed about costs today....

And you're basing that statement on...what, exactly? The fact that oil companies make money? Christ, you people act as if no one else on the planet uses oil. You want the price to drop? Nuke China. Then we won't have to compete with them for the oil. :lol:

I'm on board. When can we scramble the bombers? :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I nominate you for the "whiney B word of the thread" award (hardly new territory for you). I feel so bad that you bought a gas guzzler and now have to pay $70 to fill it up. If you don't like it, feel free to take the bus. :lol:

:lol: Wow, Kev...really?

You know I respect you and think you're a pretty smart guy, but it's sad that you've managed to miss the point TWICE in this thread. First, you equated someone who said "it's a great time to be in the top 1%" with "its not worth it to be alive otherwise." Brilliant.

Then you think I was whining about gas prices when I was just laughing about you and LA (both otherwise reasonably intelligent people) blowing that statement out of proportion with your hyperbolic bullsht. I could give a sht if gas goes to $10/gallon. Like Stojan said, it doesn't change how I drive. I was just commenting on how crazy I think it is that a vehicle that cost $40 to fill 16 months ago costs $70.

And where did I say I own a gas guzzler?

C'mon you're better than this...

The fact that our dollar is in the tank and we felt the need to invade the middle east has a hell of a lot more to do with it than the Chinese, although they are becoming an increasingly large factor.

You have a point about the dollar. It's why I look at oil prices against the euro...and guess what? It's increasing. Judging by the divergence of oil prices in dollars vs. euros, it looks like the dollar's weakening is responsible for maybe 30% of the current price in dollars.

Strikes me that whatever's responsible for the other 70% has a "hell of a lot more to do with it" than the 30% due to the dollar.

You have a point about the dollar. It's why I look at oil prices against the euro...and guess what? It's increasing. Judging by the divergence of oil prices in dollars vs. euros, it looks like the dollar's weakening is responsible for maybe 30% of the current price in dollars.

Strikes me that whatever's responsible for the other 70% has a "hell of a lot more to do with it" than the 30% due to the dollar.

I am a rather simplistic fellow, but I looked at commodities about 2 years ago, looked at the how fast some the "developing" economy's were actualy developing, and said energy and raw material of all kinds just have to go up over the next 5 years. I certainly did not see oil at $124, but I wanted to prtect my backside a little bit, hence my commodity funds.

I do think the dollar obviously has an effect, but simple supply and demand to me at least dictate that prices for all commodities, including food, have a wyas to go yet.

my girl is on the table getting implants today, so im not complaining.

im just speaking on current economic situations.

:lol: Seriously? You're complaining about rising gas prices and the rich getting richer, but then exercise the fiscal judgement to throw out your hard earned money for a pair of fun bags that some other dude will probably be enjoying 5-10 years from now? Way to prioritize, my friend :lol: . Those evil rich guys are usually smart enough to know that the money comes before the women...not after. See: Scarface, the movie.

:lol: Seriously? You're complaining about rising gas prices and the rich getting richer, but then exercise the fiscal judgement to throw out your hard earned money for a pair of fun bags that some other dude will probably be enjoying 5-10 years from now? Way to prioritize, my friend :lol: . Those evil rich guys are usually smart enough to know that the money comes before the women...not after. See: Scarface, the movie.

im not paying for them!!

:lol: Wow, Kev...really?

You know I respect you and think you're a pretty smart guy, but it's sad that you've managed to miss the point TWICE in this thread. First, you equated someone who said "it's a great time to be in the top 1%" with "its not worth it to be alive otherwise." Brilliant.

Then you think I was whining about gas prices when I was just laughing about you and LA (both otherwise reasonably intelligent people) blowing that statement out of proportion with your hyperbolic bullsht. I could give a sht if gas goes to $10/gallon. Like Stojan said, it doesn't change how I drive. I was just commenting on how crazy I think it is that a vehicle that cost $40 to fill 16 months ago costs $70.

And where did I say I own a gas guzzler?

C'mon you're better than this...

Ok, so perhaps I overreacted a bit (must have thought I was on PPP). :lol: My apologies.

However, I think people have blown the gas price thing way out of proportion. Sure it's been a rapid increase, but we got away with murder in this country for years and years with dirt cheap gas and now it's finally evening out. And I didn't see much reason for someone to post the '1% comment' in a gas thread (after all, isn't it obvious that it's always a great time to be alive if you are rich?), unless I could reasonably infer that he was looking for some pity about the affordability of gas. And as you and stojan correctly point out, if it were really that expensive, people would change their behavior. I've posted the stats about carpools and public transportation here several times, but no one is interested in that. They'd prefer to swallow the politicians b.s. that if we 'do something' about evil oil companies, everything will be ok.

Ok, so perhaps I overreacted a bit (must have thought I was on PPP). :lol: My apologies.

However, I think people have blown the gas price thing way out of proportion. Sure it's been a rapid increase, but we got away with murder in this country for years and years with dirt cheap gas and now it's finally evening out. And I didn't see much reason for someone to post the '1% comment' in a gas thread (after all, isn't it obvious that it's always a great time to be alive if you are rich?), unless I could reasonably infer that he was looking for some pity about the affordability of gas. And as you and stojan correctly point out, if it were really that expensive, people would change their behavior. I've posted the stats about carpools and public transportation here several times, but no one is interested in that. They'd prefer to swallow the politicians b.s. that if we 'do something' about evil oil companies, everything will be ok.

Agreed...on pretty much all counts. People took the amazing prices we had for years for granted. I used to always say "At least we're not in Europe" everytime I saw a noticable price increase.

Five years ago if you had told me that gas would be 4.00/gallon, I would have told you that people would have totally changed their behavior towards fuel consumption. And while it has happened to some degree (hybrids finally becoming mainstream, SUVs littering the classifieds, etc.) it really isn't the anywhere near the level I would have expected. I guess I just underestimated the price that would represent a breaking point. For all I know now, people won't stop until gas reaches 7-8 dollars/gallon....maybe more. Until then it's just another thing we deal with that has gotten more expensive.