Mitchell wins Larry Brown/Jason David Award

Fox Sport's Peter Schrager awards Kawika Mitchell his Larry Brown/Jason David award

The Larry Brown/Jason David Award: To the player who parlayed a solid Super Bowl performance into a big off-season free-agent contract:

Winner: Kawika Mitchell, LB, Buffalo

In fairness to Mitchell, he actually had a really strong 2007 season with the Giants. Filling in at the WLB spot after signing a one-year contract for $1 million just days before the 2007 Draft, Mitchell made countless big plays for New York over the course of the year. None was bigger than Mitchell's second-quarter sack of Tom Brady in the Super Bowl in which he initially faked going into pass coverage then blitzed the QB, bringing Brady to the ground on second down. Solid season for Mitchell; great Super Bowl. All that said, five years for $17.5 million? Really, Buffalo?

I thought the purpose of this award was that the hype of one big game gets some players overpaid the following season. Then he gushes how Mitchell played well all season long. :wallbash: And is $3.5M for a starting WLB expensive or something in today's NFL? What a dope!

Prior to joining the Giants, Mitchell was an undistinguished MLB for the Chiefs. The Giants moved him to WLB, which may have been the reason for his good performance with them.

rofl. over 12 years ago, larry brown signed a 5 yr/12 mil contract, which was rich at the time.

kavika mitchell signs for 5 yrs/17.5 million, which is less than a lot of starting OLBs make.

the only similarity is that they both signed new contracts after winning a SB.

He's been a starter for the last 4 and a half years...someone mentioned he was an average to below average MLB with the Chiefs for 3 and a half years as a starter--but then blossomed toward the middle and end of last year at WLB. Think about it this way--we got him for the same price we got London Fletcher in 2002--and the cap has risen by about 50% (mid 70's to about 110M) or so since then....bargain basement.

As a resident of N.J., I watched a lot of Giant games last year. Mitchell was very solid all season and showed big play ability. I was thrilled when the Bills got him. I also do not believe they overpaid. You never know how these things will work out but I believe this signing really upgraded our defense. We went from a very mediocre linebacker core to Poz, Kawika and Crowell. I'm EXCITED!