I have a question about this web site?

BDW1968

Are there any plans to up date anything on this web site? New players to look at? A new lay out? It just looks old and tired. This is the first and usually the only bills web site I go to but over the last week I have seen many sites and this one has great info but dose nothing for the eyes. It just looks bad :o

Ok, I said what some people might be thinking. Now you can PAM at me all you want, it is just how I fill.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there any plans to up date anything on this web site? New players to look at? A new lay out? It just looks old and tired. This is the first and usually the only bills web site I go to but over the last week I have seen many sites and this one has great info but dose nothing for the eyes. It just looks bad :o

Ok, I said what some people might be thinking. Now you can PAM at me all you want, it is just how I fill.

It's all personal taste. I prefer this style because it is clean & uncluttered, easy on the eye, easy to see what is actually being said......and most importantly focuses on the words typed by the posters, not the pretty pictures etc that they can put in.

If this was a vote......I'd be voting to keep it as it is.

Certainly a large constraint in the initial days of TSW was simply time. Scott Sarama and allies doing all they could to keep things up an running as they answered the call created by the sinking of the ol D&C site due to its commitment to free speech but certain users taking advantage of that freedom by not exercising responsibility.

Time was then consumed fighting the battle to make this site self-sustaining financially and even profitable for the time Scott put into it. There were ongoing dust-up as some folks kept trying to prove they were real people by fouling up the virtual conversation and growing family either through technical internet assaults or abusive characters.

At some point time also was stressed because the birth of his child gave Scott something far more valuable than TSW to spend his time on.

Given that the organizers and moderators of this site are still striking a balance between keeping the content in good shape and making it look less tired and old, i think the right choice has been made which is to focus the limited time on the content and let how things look (unless it is a user issue) simply go as it goes.

As Woody Allen once said, i do not want to achieve immortality through my work I want to achieve immortality by not dying. If the limits of time is going to mean less focus on content because the organizers and moderators are focusing on looks, rather than dying but leaving a beautiful corpse I rather the focus is on not dying.

It's all personal taste. I prefer this style because it is clean & uncluttered, easy on the eye, easy to see what is actually being said......and most importantly focuses on the words typed by the posters, not the pretty pictures etc that they can put in.

If this was a vote......I'd be voting to keep it as it is.

I agree. Other sites have too much going on, often times It takes me a while to actually find what they wrote. I like this.

allow me to interject while PG rambles...

It is, as Dibs says, all a matter of personal taste. It's kinda like the uniform debate. Those with bad taste and bad eyes prefer the current eyesores. Those with class and an eye for originality prefer the 74 - 83 variety

Certainly a large constraint in the initial days of TSW was simply time. Scott Sarama and allies doing all they could to keep things up an running as they answered the call created by the sinking of the ol D&C site due to its commitment to free speech but certain users taking advantage of that freedom by not exercising responsibility.

Time was then consumed fighting the battle to make this site self-sustaining financially and even profitable for the time Scott put into it. There were ongoing dust-up as some folks kept trying to prove they were real people by fouling up the virtual conversation and growing family either through technical internet assaults or abusive characters.

At some point time also was stressed because the birth of his child gave Scott something far more valuable than TSW to spend his time on.

Given that the organizers and moderators of this site are still striking a balance between keeping the content in good shape and making it look less tired and old, i think the right choice has been made which is to focus the limited time on the content and let how things look (unless it is a user issue) simply go as it goes.

As Woody Allen once said, i do not want to achieve immortality through my work I want to achieve immortality by not dying. If the limits of time is going to mean less focus on content because the organizers and moderators are focusing on looks, rather than dying but leaving a beautiful corpse I rather the focus is on not dying.

I agree with you... and with Dibs.

I like the clean. uncluttered look. But, yes, that is my preference. Too many sites lose focus. I come here to read and converse about the Bills, not look at stimulating artwork and colors. I like a site that is clean, easy to navigate, and true to its intent. That's exactly what we have here.

I was just clicking through the "news" channels tonight, and almost choked when I saw MSNBC and Dan Abram's show. He uses comic book fonts and all kinds of bs. All these stations have constant streaming bs...pretty colors...spinning things...fast talking chumps....the country is so dumbed down that Madison ave figures if you spew out the crap fast enough, people won't have the time or ability to figure that you are giving them a plate of BS.

World War III is months if not weeks away from starting, and we are debating Hannah Montana looking like she just woke up from a Minnesota Vikings Party Cruise.

I hope the Bills win a SuperBowl before God throws in the towel on us.

:o There.....that looks pretty!

Who comes to a football message board for the pictures? Seriously.

I promise not to PAM you, despite the way you fill.

Who comes to a football message board for the pictures?

I think it is for the AAD generation. They constantly need something to grab their attention.

My thoughts on the Bills draft are...ooooh...a picture of Thurman....I think the blue is a little dark, maybe they should...McKelvin??? What the hell were they...The Bills record will be...What were we talking about?

I appreciate the minimalist approach to this site with lack of clutter. Frankly what I think will bring the most positive change to this site , will be our favorite team having some success. Us having more Monday mornings to revel in a win on Sunday. More of this and the wall would look unrecognizable .

In many ways the wall has became the same old place because the Bills have been the same old Bills for to long. This year we have hope and that certainly does feel great.

Scott was working on a redesign when the hard drive crashed. If you're volunteering to assist him, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the help. :beer:

But if you're looking for banner signatures, neon flashing text, and the like, you may be waiting a while. Like, forever.

Are you talking about TBD or the message board? I think the message board look is fine, but I agree - the design of TBD is old and tired. I have planned on having it refreshed for years now, but the road to hell and good intentions and all that....

Of course, that doesn't mean it would change to being cluttered, but it is a very tired look. I do hope to get it changed this offseason. Now, if I could just find someone in MD who has a PC that I can hook up our failed drive to (and install linux recovery software) we'll be on our way....

I like it the way it is. There is a variety of options on where and what to post. I want info and quick access. I don't need the eye candy. Well... some eye candy... Hmmm, never mind. I do like that we can talk Bills, Sabres, most any sport and many other topics. The site is well organized. I know how to find what I need so I don't believe radical changes are needed. It is a very cool site. TBD and TSW work fine for me.

Now, if I could just find someone in MD who has a PC that I can hook up our failed drive to (and install linux recovery software) we'll be on our way....

I'm not in MD, but I have a close friend with a few older PCs, I'm sure I could get you a system box, keyboard and mouse if we can figure out the shipping. Does it matter how fast, how much memory, all that?

allow me to interject while PG rambles...

It is, as Dibs says, all a matter of personal taste. It's kinda like the uniform debate. Those with bad taste and bad eyes prefer the current eyesores. Those with class and an eye for originality prefer the 74 - 83 variety

No prob interjecting, I set myself on auto-ramble mode.