Anquan Boldin requests trade

Pete

Andrew (Syracuse, N.Y.): Lee Evans has "Hall of Fame" talent? Are you kidding me? KC, I think you've had one too many.

Joyner: I can promise you that inebriation had nothing to do with my comments on Evans. He led the NFL last season with a 10.6 yards per attempt. This wasn't an anomaly, either, because he also led the league in this category in 2004. He is well known as a dominant deep pass threat, but also placed in the top 10 in short pass YPA in 2006.

Given Buffalo's lack of a quality No. 2 wide receiver, Evans' ability to post this level of performance is simply amazing. This isn't to say I think Evans will be a Hall of Famer, because he can't even get elected to the Pro Bowl. But the numbers do prove he has that kind of talent.

From before last year. ESPN Insider.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised we have not heard any Lee Evans trade rumors if teams like Philly, Dallas, and the Redskins are making unsolicited trade offers for WR's who might want out of their current situation. Evans would be ideal for both Philly and Dallas and both teams have a lot value to trade. I'd love to keep Evans but if he isn't interested in signing a long term deal here, I'd rather get maximum value for him now.

Who said Lee Evans wanted out of his current situation or wasn't interested in signing a long term deal here? Certainly not the man himself or his agent. He's under contract for 1 or 2 more years, and the Bills are saying that they're serious about extending him. Would the Bills trade him? Possibly, but as Buftex pointed out, they'd be right back where they started from, needing a strong #2 receiver to compliment whomever they got to replace Lee Evans.

The cap is desinged t prevent trades like that.... i beleieve we take a huge hit if we do that

Not unless we give him a big signing bonus. Sign him to a back end loaded contract and then package him in a deal. It is called a "sign and trade". It is done a lot in the NBA but not too much in the NFL. In the NBA, it is usually done by the guy's previous team like the Seahawks would be. Now they they have cut him, anything goes.

Tremendous talent, exactaly what a #1 receiver should be. Probably would cost way too much in a trade. If it were possible without giving up a multitude of draft picks, I'd have no problem bringing in Boldin and letting evans walk, while drafting a te.

Agree they'd want too much.

If I remember correctly that in mid-February when he first wanted a traded, I think it was reported that the Cards wanted a 1st and 2nd rounder for him. Nevertheless, they're gonna ask too much.

Is there a link for this?

The Cardinals stink, year after year and yet it's clear the reason is purely $$$. The past few years, there's been what seems to be a number of contracts that get re-negotiated that in years gone by never would have been. It's getting ridiculous. Too many teams are setting bad precedents for the future. Guys are traded, contracts torn up, guy are unhappy, contracts are extended with big signing bonuses, etc. The contract he has looked pretty good to him when he signed it, didn't it?

Unless the NFL somehow can regain some sanity with regard to contracts, beginning with top 5-10 rookies, etc., they're going to

leave this fan in the dust. The money has gotten insane.

That's why I think it's smart for Bungles to be hardline with Ocho Dinko.

I am with you, I think Boldin would be an amazing addition for the Bills offense...but you would really let Evans "walk"? What sense would that make? The Bills would be back in the position of needing a wide receiver again. Except, without Evans, they would need a speedy guy with great hands, to fill the #2 spot...I think the Bills receiving core would be in even worse shape if they let Evans go, and picked up Boldin. They need both. Not going to happen though, so I guess it is silly to speculate...

I'd only give up a third rounder for him or our first for their second.

i'll take him.

we can grab him, lito shep, and extend evans. that will put us up at cash to cap, but will make us a monster team.

Why isn't there a head in hands shaking head emoticon? Lito Sheppard, Ugh!

Not unless we give him a big signing bonus. Sign him to a back end loaded contract and then package him in a deal. It is called a "sign and trade". It is done a lot in the NBA but not too much in the NFL. In the NBA, it is usually done by the guy's previous team like the Seahawks would be. Now they they have cut him, anything goes.

Why not introduce the "a player to be named later" concept into the NFL? I'm not against signing Alexander and then packaging him in a trade. But, why not Alexander and a player to be named later?

Who said Lee Evans wanted out of his current situation or wasn't interested in signing a long term deal here? Certainly not the man himself or his agent. He's under contract for 1 or 2 more years, and the Bills are saying that they're serious about extending him. Would the Bills trade him? Possibly, but as Buftex pointed out, they'd be right back where they started from, needing a strong #2 receiver to compliment whomever they got to replace Lee Evans.

Evans has 1 year left on his contract. He publicly stated he wants Losman as the QB. He has more value to a team like Dallas or Philly with vertical passing games. Like Clements, if Evans knows a team will break the bank for him next year, he most likely will not sign with the Bills. I would only trade Evans for another WR like Boldin, but what if Jerry Jones or someone else offers something close to what KC got for Jared Allen? It all depends on how the contract negotiation is currently going with Evans. I would think both sides will know how serious each other is about re-signing in Buffalo before Saturday.

Why not introduce the "a player to be named later" concept into the NFL? I'm not against signing Alexander and then packaging him in a trade. But, why not Alexander and a player to be named later?

That's more of a baseball tactic. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but it may confuse some GMs to have a baseball tactic and a basketball tactic in the same trade. This is a busy week for these guys and if they get confused they may just blow the whole thing off.

That's more of a baseball tactic. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, but it may confuse some GMs to have a baseball tactic and a basketball tactic in the same trade. This is a busy week for these guys and if they get confused they may just blow the whole thing off.

But Alexander and a player to be named later (Lee Evans) would work. The Bills get Evans for this year so Trent has his #1 target, then send him to the Cards.

Evans has 1 year left on his contract. He publicly stated he wants Losman as the QB. He has more value to a team like Dallas or Philly with vertical passing games. Like Clements, if Evans knows a team will break the bank for him next year, he most likely will not sign with the Bills. I would only trade Evans for another WR like Boldin, but what if Jerry Jones or someone else offers something close to what KC got for Jared Allen? It all depends on how the contract negotiation is currently going with Evans. I would think both sides will know how serious each other is about re-signing in Buffalo before Saturday.

Evans has 2 years left, and the last year he can void if he chooses. He said that last year when he was frustrated with an anemic offense, mostly because he felt that JP would get him the long ball and he thought that JP had lost his job to injury. He's since stated that (in so many words..) that he's fine with Trent as the QB. Maybe he's being a good soldier, who knows.

Saturday and progress on Lee Evan's contract extension are not connected, they're just getting started in the negotiation process. Lee would certainly want to see what a Turk Schonert offense looks like, how Trent handles the the QB job in his 2nd year, what help they give him, how much money they sign a #2 receiver for, all that.

Plus, Lee Evans has never demonstrated that he's a show me the money kinda guy. I'd be real surprised if anything happens before late fall.

Evans has 2 years left, and the last year he can void if he chooses. He said that last year when he was frustrated with an anemic offense, mostly because he felt that JP would get him the long ball and he thought that JP had lost his job to injury. He's since stated that (in so many words..) that he's fine with Trent as the QB. Maybe he's being a good soldier, who knows.

Saturday and progress on Lee Evan's contract extension are not connected, they're just getting started in the negotiation process. Lee would certainly want to see what a Turk Schonert offense looks like, how Trent handles the the QB job in his 2nd year, what help they give him, how much money they sign a #2 receiver for, all that.

Plus, Lee Evans has never demonstrated that he's a show me the money kinda guy. I'd be real surprised if anything happens before late fall.

For all intents & purposes he has one year left on his contract. From my understanding it is his option to void the contract & their would be no reason not too at that point. With that being said, if the bills offer him an honest extension over this summer, something like 6yrs 35 mill - 12 mill signing bonus with another 8 guaranteed, there is no doubt in my mind that Evans signs that contract. The risk of injury in the NFL is too great to turn down that kind of guaranteed money.

Unless the voidable year is worth more than the franchise tender for a WR, and I am sure it is not, he is voiding the final year. I doubt he gets traded as well, but I don't think Dallas could find a more perfect fit for Romo and opposite Owens than Evans. Jerry Jones has admitted he's had discussions about acquiring a veteran WR. Everyone assumes it's Roy Williams, but Jones wants a homerun threat for that offense and Evans is the best deep-ball threat in the NFL. I like Edwards, but his strength is not the deep ball.

Hopefully, Evans and the Bills will get something done, but what could the Bills be waiting for? His price tag isn't gonna go down. It's most likely Evans who is waiting and this looks like Nate Clements part II.

But Alexander and a player to be named later (Lee Evans) would work. The Bills get Evans for this year so Trent has his #1 target, then send him to the Cards.

Really? do you honestly think that would work? wow. and besides, Alexander is over the hill..he sucks. If Arizona wanted him, theyd sign him...Alexander is not going to come to Buffalo when we have a proven # 1 and competent # 2.

Really? do you honestly think that would work? wow. and besides, Alexander is over the hill..he sucks. If Arizona wanted him, theyd sign him...Alexander is not going to come to Buffalo when we have a proven # 1 and competent # 2.

He wouldn't stay in Buffalo. That is the whole idea. We would trade him. Arizona probably has cap problems due to Boldin until they trade him. Edgerrin James is even older than Alexander. It is a good fit for everyone.

I am surprised we have not heard any Lee Evans trade rumors if teams like Philly, Dallas, and the Redskins are making unsolicited trade offers for WR's who might want out of their current situation. Evans would be ideal for both Philly and Dallas and both teams have a lot value to trade. I'd love to keep Evans but if he isn't interested in signing a long term deal here, I'd rather get maximum value for him now.

I wouldn't exactly call the offers "unsolicited." Assuming that you are referring to Chad Johnson, he has publicly and loudly stated that he wants out of Cincinnati and will not play this year unless he is let go. Therefore, teams like Wash. and Dallas have made offers to the Bungles to see if they are willing. They have rejected those offers. Boldin apparently also wants out of Arizona. These two guys don't like the teams they are currently on and want out.

As far as I can tell, Evans likes this organization, a factor that clearly doesn't exist in the Johnson/Boldin situations. Thus, Evans is willing to stay with the Bills, but he is reaching his breaking point. Buffalo hasn't exactly done much on offense to give him opportunities to contribute. They don't have a legitimate number two who can take pressure off of him and allow him to make plays. They changed quarterbacks and coaches on him almost every year he has been there. I think he's been in four different offensive systems in the four years he's been here. Not a lot of stability for a guy you want to be your number one receiver. If Buffalo brings in another WR, be it in the draft or if they somehow land Anquan Boldin, I think Evans would be more than willing to stay and be a contributor, as long as the money is right.

He wouldn't stay in Buffalo. That is the whole idea. We would trade him. Arizona probably has cap problems due to Boldin until they trade him. Edgerrin James is even older than Alexander. It is a good fit for everyone.

I understand the reasoning behind it...but tell me why Alexander would bother coming to Buff in hte first place? you are telling him you are trading him? James has been more productive than Alexander the last 2 years. AZ doesnt/cant pay Boldin, so what happens when Lee's contract is up next year? they have to pay him too and he's on the same level as boldin.

Thinking that Alexander is over the hill is overrated. See this ------> |_| ? Try thinking outside of it for a change. Why do you oppose progress?